Older Fans, what are some things that newer fans may not know about Britney back in the day?

1 minute ago, RedBloodedWoman said:

She actually left the cd at the station ;) 

Ahh, it was years ago and I was like 12-13 at the time maybe, so I couldn't really remember :clownery_makeup_meme: But I'm surprised to this day that that original demo in super high quality has never been in circulation. I mean, not like the recording we have is BAD quality, but I really imagined that it would have leaked in 320 or lossless by now. Jive really did their best to keep that project locked away in the vault. That reminds me of how many times we ALMOST got Rebellion leaked in full and every time it either ended up getting stopped by her team or a lie by someone to promote the unleaked songs they actually were selling.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, YeezusChrist said:

That her fame was at a whole different level back then, incomparable to any of today’s pop artists. She is true royalty, and not just fan proclaimed.

16 hours ago, STJ said:

She was extremely famous, popular and always talked about, overshadowed all of her peers including Xtina and Beyonce. 

This is the biggest thing. She was EVERYWHERE. My sister, an Xtina fan and Bey fan, used to complain about it too. IT's so crazy how the tides have turned and the GP thinks of her as a has been or simply someone who used to have bops and they feel sorry for. Britney's presence was larger than life and she had her share of controversy, of course, but she was loved on a totally different level. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Obscene said:

Ahh, it was years ago and I was like 12-13 at the time maybe, so I couldn't really remember :clownery_makeup_meme: But I'm surprised to this day that that original demo in super high quality has never been in circulation. I mean, not like the recording we have is BAD quality, but I really imagined that it would have leaked in 320 or lossless by now. Jive really did their best to keep that project locked away in the vault. That reminds me of how many times we ALMOST got Rebellion leaked in full and every time it either ended up getting stopped by her team or a lie by someone to promote the unleaked songs they actually were selling.

Bearing this in mind, is Michelle Bell a trustworthy source in saying that the songs she personally leaked in 2012 and 2017 were for Original Doll? I know that it may seem like an obvious yes, but I want to be more sure with information like this after my original Britney Jean thread. 😅

3 minutes ago, Britney2001 said:

Bearing this in mind, is Michelle Bell a trustworthy source in saying that the songs she personally leaked in 2012 and 2017 were for Original Doll? I know that it may seem like an obvious yes, but I want to be more sure with information like this after my original Britney Jean thread. 😅

This I'm not 100% sure of because I didn't follow everything Michelle was saying at the time, but I do trust what she said that I can recall. I don't know why she would lie about her involvement in it because it's not like it would amount in anything much for her beyond short burst of social engagement. It's not like her career changed at all after talking about working with Britney during that time. She did start working with Britney in like 2002 during recordings for ITZ and apparently worked with her during recording sessions on the Onyx Hotel tour, so it would line up timeline-wise.

Of course we can't be 100% sure what tracks would have been on the project because it never got that far to really decide on a tracklisting, so who knows if any of the songs she leaked actually would have made it to the final edition of the project. I do remember a post on Breathe Heavy back in the day that specifically mentioned Money, Love & Happiness (among others) was a song for the project, but it was so long ago that it's not all so fresh in my memory anymore :receipts2_britney_um_browsing_browse:

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Obscene said:

It is circultion honey I'm pretty sure some messy ***** leaked the first half without them talking over it

40 minutes ago, Oxic said:

I have a question, how was the GP's reaction when britney cancelled her second show on Mexico and that same day left?:katycream_perry_witness_nod_yes: What were the tabloids saying? Did their reaction changed over the years? 

EDIT: also I really believed (until a few weeks ago when I inquired about old news) the free show she gave on Mexico at her FFT was a "gift" or a "sorry" for having cancelled the DWAD show on 2002 :orangu_orangutan_ape: apparently it wasn't!

Yeah, there was some backlash but at the same time it was understandable, because it was because of the weather, so it wasn't that big of a scandal as the middle finger :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white: people just couldn't move on. And people got their money back, so it wasn't that bad :yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

Yeah, the 2011, THAT was a bit of a scandal, not because of her, but because the government of Mexico City paid her with money from the government, so it was free for the people, but not for the city, and they criticized the Major a lot because of he authorized that lol

I also just learned that Britney was among a list of famous people that were paid by the Mexican government to promote the beaches and other tourist attractions. She was paid for her trip to Puerto Vallarta with Jason Trawick in 2010.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

She was supposedly going to have a guest starring role/story arc on Dawson’s Creek. I also remember before she did Crossroads, Lynne had written on “Lynne’s Corner” (a blog on Britney’s website written by, well, Lynne...) that there was a movie that Britney was trying to get a role in and that the movie was based on a book that Britney loved. My guess was a Nicholas Sparks book...just because those books were becoming extremely popular at the time and the film adaptations were starting up around that time.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Kartofelek said:

Back in 2000 it was considered "s shame" to be a male and a Britney fan. She was like the Spice Girls - "not for teenagers", 'not cool" up until 2003 happened.

She was in Bravo, Popcorn and other teen mags weekly. I think she was one of their selling points. Posters were a thing. Teens these days won't know the devotion it took to buy all the mags and collect clippings etc.

There was some cover-up when pictures of her drunk and smoking cigs appeared in press back in late 2000.

"Sometimes" was basically released a year after "BOMT" was served to radios. Now that's an impact of a first single.

I have never really had a shame for liking Britney or the spice girls, I think during their peak the shame was less but year 1999+ they got the embarrassing treatment more, glad nowadays there is little to no shame liking either. Male or female, their concert last year was amazing.

wannabe GIF by Spice Girls

• Love 3

I know this is gonna sound kinda silly, but Britney used to smile A Lot back in the day. She looked like she was right out of a Crest commercial. It was just something about her excitement and energy, she would literally be Beaming and have this glow around her. Her beauty but also smile were something she was known for. Gorgeous Queen.  :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:   :mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming: y’all, I can’t believe it’s the last day of 2020. Omg, what a year.  :jabba_monster_gross_ew_disgusting_chew:

• Love 2
  • Like 3
14 hours ago, Busybee said:

This! I think everyone thought she was gonna be a one hit wonder. I once saw a video of Melissa Joan hart saying she fought against Britney to be the lead soundtrack song for you drive me crazy because no one was gonna remember who she was :shadelaugh_tiffany_ny_new_york_ms_miss_cackle_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao: little did they know

Who is Melissa Joan?

:idkha_mariah_i_dont_know_her_pink_idk_shake_no:

Being a hardcore fan was harder. Songs and albums where harder to find and sold out. Online shopping wasn’t that big yet and if Bullmoose and Borders sold out you had to order or couldn’t. You couldnt demo before purchase or download, which took a week for one song lol. I remember getting BOMT imported Japan Edition on ebay and it was amazing because it had unreleased tracks and a different color disc and cover. Which was major back then. Deep in My Heart, Autumn Goodbye 

McDonalds released Britney bonus tracks. Heart, Girl in My Mirror, One Kiss From You is a favorite.

She made Sketchers cool

She covered Material Girl and Nasty Boys I wish you could buy them.

Britney made Pepsi music video commercials a thing

• Love 2
21 hours ago, G-unit said:

That she was never a celeb who stepped outside to run daily errands in full makeup, amazing hair, and a perfect outfit.  The disheveled hair and mismatched outfits are not a product of her conservatorship. Lmao

This was legit one of the many things that made me stan her when looking back during the Femme Fatale era.

A childhood memory of mine, unsure which year but during the 00's before Blackout, is that she was quoted as saying that she can be lazy eating fried chicken/chicken wings for months and then get up on a threadmill and run like crazy once touring season starts. ICONIC. I need to find this quote...

• Love 3