Before The Goodbye of 2020

SouthernOreo

Here I am laying in bed at 4:30am and I decide to start listening to the “Britney” album (it’s literally a pop calzone). It gets to the song “Before The Goodbye” and I’m just like WAIT A MINUTE — have I always known this song because I swear I’ve never heard it before. 

WHY IS THIS SONG NOT TALKED ABOUT MORE?!! 

The cadence. The flow. The melody. The way she switches from her upper register “pop” voice back to her natural tone. THE BEAT SWITCH UP. LIKE WHAT?!!

PLEASE tell me I’m not the only one who’s lowkey obsessed with this song?!!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're not alone. Not alone. Not alone. 

It's one of my favourite songs from that era and it's criminal that it's an international bonus track. It's also criminal that 'Britney' turned into the Crossroads soundtrack but let's not dive into that again. 

I remember she interviewed with Rolling Stone a couple of months before the 'Britney' album release, and they sat in while she recorded Before the Goodbye. From memory the interviewer was pleasantly surprised by her voice and BT had nothing but nice things to say about Britney. 

It's good. Not my favourite from the album but also not one of the worst. It's kinda in the middle for me. My ranking is kinda like this:

1. Overprotected

2. Lonely

3. What It's Like To Be Me

4. I Run Away

5. I'm A Slave 4 U

6. Cinderella

7. Before The Goodbye

8. That's Where You Take Me

9. I Love Rock 'n' Roll

10. Anticipating

11. When I Found You

12. Boys

13. Bombastic Love

14. I'm Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman

15. Let Me Be

But to be honest She'll Never Be Me, When I Say So and Sinner deserved to be on the album more than last 8 songs on my ranking. Mad Love and the b-side Intimidated aren't bad either.

Archived