This Day in Pop: 'I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman' music video premieres in 2001 (December 26)

notagirl.jpg.bf59913e2945dd93e6a15f717cd5ee41.jpgDisclaimer: the official website and most sources claim December 26 as the date of release of the Not a Girl music video, usually claiming it premiered along with the Making the Video episode, yet the Making the Video archived website says the episode premiered on December 17.

001.jpg

On December 26, 2001, the I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman music video premiered. It was directed by Wayne Isham and it was filmed in August of that year in Arizona and Utah. It features different shots of Britney standing on a cliff in the desert, as well as other scenes inside a slot canyon. 3 different versions of the video exist, two of which feature footage from the Crossroads movie, as well as scenes of Briney in a red bedroom, driving a car and we also see her by a campfire.

In 2009, MTV published an article about the videoclip prior to the release of The Singles Collection.

For the video, director Wayne Isham just wanted to have Britney out in nature — even if the setting seemed a bit dangerous for a pop star. "I go, 'Let me check it out first,' " Isham told MTV News about having Britney stand on the edge of a cliff. "She understood that if my fat *** was out there and I could stand there, then she could stand there," he laughed.

The singer might have been willing to take the risk, but she still had some trepidation about standing on a cliff. "The wind started picking up a lot and almost dropped me over," Spears recalled. "And I was like, 'OK, gotta go.' "

Nonetheless, Isham loved the way the video looked and said there was no green screen involved. "She went out there and, without a safety cable, just stood there with those cowboy boots on," he said. "She was standing on the edge in her cowboy boots, looking hot. We'd be right on the edge, and she had not a blink of fear."

003.jpg

And the video is one of Isham's favorites too. "I have nothing but positive things to say about my experience with her and what she's doing right now," he said. "She stepped into it with positive energy. She ended up stepping out and kicking ***."

XRAY_MTV_MAKING_NOTAGIRL_00185.jpg

In 2003 the video won the category "International Music Video of the Year Short-Form" at the Japan Gold Disc Awards. It appeared at #71 on the 2002 Top 100 of MTV Latin America.

016.jpg

010.jpg

013.jpg

In 2013, in the show Would You Rather? Britney was asked to pick in which dangerous location would she rather be stranded, a shark-infested pool from the Work ***** video or standing on the edge of Grand Canyon. She picked the Grand Canyon.

whethertojump.gif

I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman was the second video released in the United States, but the rest of the world got Overprotected instead. In 2002 it would be released internationally, while the US got Overprotected (Darkchild Remix). The official single was released in February 2002.

Making the Video:

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Fab britney said:

Interesting I got britney the videos for Xmas in 2001 and this video is in it? Was the og video released earlier?

That's the thing, there's many contradictory sources. I guess they count the release date as the release on TV, since the DVD was released in November, and this was through Making the Video, and yet it seems the episode aired even earlier than the December 26 date they claim (December 17). And I also found some archived posts on worldofbritney.com that talk about screencaps of the video way before the December 17 :orangu_orangutan_ape: so I'm like :wyd_wtf_meme_hand_umm_wth_what_the_hell:

wobnot.png

But yeah, the DVD might be the technical official release date to the world (though only the US version contains the video).

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...