Mariah Carey: artists make very little money from streams

Jordan Miller

Also, contrary to popular belief and like other users have mentioned, the Free Britney movement has brought in more streamers than ever before. I’ve had this weird obsession with taking screenshots of Britney’s peaks on Spotify and iTunes for years and just compared my screenshot from today compared to this time last year and she’s gained 6 million monthly listeners. Maybe it’s MOW getting more popular than before, but her biggest hits are also continuously getting bigger and bigger on Spotify and YouTube. Anyways, Britney reached a new peak today of ~27.2 million monthly listeners :kyliecry_crying_tears_jenner_wipe_sad:

• Love 3
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Also, contrary to popular belief and like other users have mentioned, the Free Britney movement has brought in more streamers than ever before. I’ve had this weird obsession with taking screenshots of Britney’s peaks on Spotify and iTunes for years and just compared my screenshot from today compared to this time last year and she’s gained 6 million monthly listeners. Maybe it’s MOW getting more popular than before, but her biggest hits are also continuously getting bigger and bigger on Spotify and YouTube. Anyways, Britney reached a new peak today of ~27.2 million monthly listeners :kyliecry_crying_tears_jenner_wipe_sad:

Its great to see Britney’s listeners grow despite her situation. Icon. 

Truly sad about the payout to artists. Why aren’t the record labels fighting for more? This is crazy. 

5 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Britney probably makes even less, as she doesn't write/compose the majority of her songs, which also applies to Matches and Swimming in the Stars. I'm sure a decently popular independent artist who writes all of their songs can actually earn a decent living from streaming, but those are few and far between. Artists mostly make money from touring, merch, brand deals/sponsorships, and advertisements. :tiffhair_miss_ms_new_york_ny_fix_hair_nodding_listening: I wonder how much money Western artists make from CDs, though. Korean artists don't really earn anything from CDs because the packaging is so extra and high-quality, whereas Western artists' CDs are very cheaply made, so I'm sure they must at least earn something. :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

It all depends on the contract! In case of Britney every one knows that song will be a hit because Britney recorded it vs it’s a good song. 

Also, I submit songs to some artist, it didn’t make final cut but label were offering as less as 5%. ESP in case of Britney, they know her voice is so unique that a lot of songwritiers will take cheap deals just to get credits. 

Beyoncé changes 4 words and take more than 50% of credit in writing

• Like 1
4 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Forgive me, I’m lost... WTF is “MOW”?  :zoomzoom_britney_annoyed_irritated_blink:

• Like 1
8 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

I wonder why this song keeps getting more and more popular given that streaming has been around for almost a decade. What causes this song to blow up like it did? I know it’s always been popular, but it feels like a Despacito or Old Town Road type of song now and idk why that is :wtfdidusay_wth_what_huh_again_who_confused_looking_around:

Bruh its mariah effing carey. The vocals are gold and she wrote this song. She has 19 #1 songs (all of whicj shes written, except 1 cover). old town road (no disrespect to old town road bc its great song) barely broke her record for one sweet day that held the longest running #1 for like like 20 years. She has two songs of the decade- one sweet day 90s, and we belong together in the 2000s. Shes the only artist with #1s in 4 different decades. Shes queen shes legend. 

this is aint no surprise. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Arickwitana said:

Bruh its mariah effing carey. The vocals are gold and she wrote this song. She has 19 #1 songs (all of whicj shes written, except 1 cover). old town road (no disrespect to old town road bc its great song) barely broke her record for one sweet day that held the longest running #1 for like like 20 years. She has two songs of the decade- one sweet day 90s, and we belong together in the 2000s. Shes the only artist with #1s in 4 different decades. Shes queen shes legend. 

this is aint no surprise. 

This is a surprise. She’s a legend, but she’s not commercially famous outside of December anymore. The song blew up just this past year and I’m trying to understand the reason. There’s a reason her last album wasn’t a success- she’s a legacy artist who becomes relevant around Christmas time. I love the song, but was it a viral trend? Was it Gen Z faves being featured in some trend I didn’t hear about? 

The real shade in this thread is that yall think she wrote this song lmao. The real song writer came forward a few years ago and **** her face thru the mud with her claims. Mariah is just like beyonce, dont write nothin or produce or compose shet, just be changin one tiny word and takin credit for the whole dayum thing. And yall say u stans. Tsk

On 12/26/2020 at 2:08 PM, IForgotYouExisted said:

True but Mariah mostly wrote and produced this track herself I recall? There weren't many writers and producers attached to this I believe

Ur wrong. a simple google search of the real writer behind mariahs all i want for xmas would show u tons of articles and videos of the real writer draggin her arse

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block