Mariah Carey: artists make very little money from streams

Jordan Miller

Britney probably makes even less, as she doesn't write/compose the majority of her songs, which also applies to Matches and Swimming in the Stars. I'm sure a decently popular independent artist who writes all of their songs can actually earn a decent living from streaming, but those are few and far between. Artists mostly make money from touring, merch, brand deals/sponsorships, and advertisements. :tiffhair_miss_ms_new_york_ny_fix_hair_nodding_listening: I wonder how much money Western artists make from CDs, though. Korean artists don't really earn anything from CDs because the packaging is so extra and high-quality, whereas Western artists' CDs are very cheaply made, so I'm sure they must at least earn something. :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

• Love 4
  • Like 2

A lot of people are trying to create ties to Britneys streams and boycotting the brand, but lets take it at face value; no artist at the level of britney is only making one single stream.

Take the youtube views for an immediate source of views and/or streams.

SITS has 2,100,000 views since its released 20 days ago. At 13c, that means the single made $273k from streams on one platform alone, without the sales of the single, the vinyls, the deluxe albums vinyl etc. or perfumes etc.

So yeah, like, I get it Mariah, streaming doesn't make the same amount that sales do, but I wouldn't stick my nose up at $273k for a song I recorded five years ago or a Christmas song that tops the charts yearly from over 20 years ago!

• Love 5
  • Like 1
31 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

I wonder why this song keeps getting more and more popular given that streaming has been around for almost a decade. What causes this song to blow up like it did? I know it’s always been popular, but it feels like a Despacito or Old Town Road type of song now and idk why that is :wtfdidusay_wth_what_huh_again_who_confused_looking_around:

I think the younger generation picked it up and also people are able to play it on demand rather than waiting for radio to play it.  I think it shows how much the public really loves the song. 

• Like 2

Even if she only makes 5 cents a stream, this times 17 milion for ONE day equals A TON LOAD OF MONEY tho.

Considering this is for Spotify and 1 day only...you still have Youtube, Deezer, Tidal, .... I mean it's a low number of earning for streams but when you have milions of streams, this still results in cashing in big time...

Imagine how much she makes off AIWFCIY in a month period...

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

SITS has 2,100,000 views since its released 20 days ago. At 13c, that means the single made $273k from streams on one platform alone, without the sales of the single, the vinyls, the deluxe albums vinyl etc. or perfumes etc.

You're living in Candy Land if you think streaming services pay 13 cents per stream. Spotify pays about $0.00348 per stream which is about 1/3 of a cent. 3 days ago, Matches had like 3 million streams on Spotify which is about 10k dollars in revenue. Spotify is the most popular streaming service, and YouTube pays even less. It probably hasn't even earned more than 30k, which is nothing in the context of a major record label anyway. Furthermore, most of that money probably goes to RCA and the writers/composers/producers. Who says Team Colon gets to see much of it. :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous: I'm not saying people should stream the songs (I haven't), but I also don't care if other people do. :tiffhair_miss_ms_new_york_ny_fix_hair_nodding_listening:

• Love 3
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

You're living in Candy Land if you think streaming services pay 13 cents per stream. Spotify pays about $0.00348 per stream which is about 1/3 of a cent. 3 days ago, Matches had like 3 million streams on Spotify which is about 10k dollars in revenue. Spotify is the most popular streaming service, and YouTube pays even less. It probably hasn't even earned more than 30k, which is nothing in the context of a major record label anyway. Furthermore, most of that money probably goes to RCA and the writers/composers/producers. Who says Team Colon gets to see much of it. :idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous: I'm not saying people should stream the songs (I haven't), but I also don't care if other people do. :tiffhair_miss_ms_new_york_ny_fix_hair_nodding_listening:

I had seen a britney fan instagram account say something about 13c per stream, that's where I got that number!

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, IForgotYouExisted said:

Even if she only makes 5 cents a stream, this times 17 milion for ONE day equals A TON LOAD OF MONEY tho.

Considering this is for Spotify and 1 day only...you still have Youtube, Deezer, Tidal, .... I mean it's a low number of earning for streams but when you have milions of streams, this still results in cashing in big time...

Imagine how much she makes off AIWFCIY in a month period...

It makes like half a cent per stream and then it’s divided by the artists and the writers 

1 hour ago, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

A lot of people are trying to create ties to Britneys streams and boycotting the brand, but lets take it at face value; no artist at the level of britney is only making one single stream.

Take the youtube views for an immediate source of views and/or streams.

So yeah, like, I get it Mariah, streaming doesn't make the same amount that sales do, but I wouldn't stick my nose up at $273k for a song I recorded five years ago or a Christmas song that tops the charts yearly from over 20 years ago!

Average payout on Spotify is .00437 and on YouTube it’s even less (.00069) 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block