Is Britney Jean underrated?   

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Britney Jean wouldn't be a bad pop album if it was from any other artist. But Britney always set the bar really high with her music - she was either ahead of the curve or right there along with the current trends when it came to pop. With BJ, it just sounded a little dated and unfinished (bc they rushed it to get it out before Vegas) so the bar was set so high and it didn't match that.

Alien, Work *****, and 'Til It's Gone are awesome songs though. So BJ is not terrible - it's just bad for Britney.

12 hours ago, AP4 said:

I only like perfume, don’t cry, now that I found you and hold on tight. Work ***** is awful. I was hyped for the album until I heard that. The vocals kill it the most but I always found the song to be ****ty lyric wise especially as it felt like her teams song to her. 

now that I found you is from Britney. ?

2 hours ago, Kevney said:

now that I found you is from Britney. ?

It’s on Britney Jean 🤷🏻‍♀️ It sounds like her for the most part. That’s my biggest issue with the album is it’s so overproduced it’s hard to tell if it’s her or not. I stopped following closely after circus so I hadn’t heard the myah Marie stuff but when listening to Britney Jean I just thought this doesn’t even sound like her. I don’t listen to the other songs enough to decide if they are any good 

14 hours ago, PrinceAli89 said:

I actually enjoy the album and have never had a major problem with it. It helped me get through 2 different painful breakups at various times in my life. I actually have found myself listening to this album more than Femme Fatale. 

My biggest annoyance surrounding this album is how new fans will hate on this album automatically without even listening to it. It has become a very annoying bandwagon to jump on, which is typical in the Britney fan community. It’s ok to not like an album, but I’ve seen brand new fans that have only been fans for less than a year say they hate this album then say they haven’t fully listened to it all the way through. My other annoyance with this community is I have seen fans say they love Britney Jean but then here comes the Britney Army trash talking them calling them a “fake fan” and stuff. I have noticed if you don’t like the same albums, songs, etc. that are the general Britney Army faves, you are looked down on, which is not ok! 

Over the years as I’ve gotten older, I have learned the Britney Army can be very negative sometimes, especially on this forum. I have learned to sort of roll with the punches though and not let them ever alter my own opinion on a Britney album, song, pic, music video, etc. We all have different opinions and it’s ok to agree to disagree. :) 

i love you britney GIF by X Factor Global

• Super Mods

Underrated?

More like OVER hated!

But it makes sense though, the album did not live up to the down to earth theme that Britney said it would be

The songs are so generically 2013 that it makes your ears wanna bleed.

The only ones I like are: Til Its Gone, WKB, Perfume, Brightest Morning Star and Now That I Found You

The rest is mediocre trash :trash_throw_away_recycle:

Nope. It's not underrated, it's fairly rated as the cheap mess it is. Yes, it does have some good songs but 60% of the tracklist sounds unfinished, cheap, repetitive, unlistenable, even for us fans who are used to her style and voice. 

The best track Hold On Tight was supposedly the 1st song recorded which makes sense, the quality not only in lyrics but in production is WAAAAY superior. Other good songs Perfume, Alien, Dont Cry, Brightest Morning Star and maybe It Should Be Easy, the rest sounds like rejects from a D-list pop girls like 5th Harmony. It's probably her MDNA album. Some little jewels hidden but overral a big mess. :tbh_britney_nod_yes_yas_ftr_for_the_record_vma_2008_circus:

It was obvious they were running out time, the Vegas show rehearsals were just around the corner, the actual show had to be basically done by late November in order to rehearse it well enough, the lead single release, the making of the music video, photoshoots, the UK promo, it was just too much to do in such short amount of time, these events must be confirmed and booked with anticipation, it was impossible to sit down and come up with something good in 5 minutes which is basically what they did.

They Let Will.I.Am do whatver **** he wanted to do and that was the result. It's a shame they trusted in the wrong William. :decisions_britney_thinking_confused_focusing_unsure_xfactor_bw_black_white:

13 hours ago, PickleSpears said:

Britney Jean wouldn't be a bad pop album if it was from any other artist. But Britney always set the bar really high with her music - she was either ahead of the curve or right there along with the current trends when it came to pop. With BJ, it just sounded a little dated and unfinished (bc they rushed it to get it out before Vegas) so the bar was set so high and it didn't match that.

Alien, Work *****, and 'Til It's Gone are awesome songs though. So BJ is not terrible - it's just bad for Britney.

I actually think BJ would be seen as an even worse album it was from another pop artist. 
can you imagine the public and critic savaging (that includes Breatheheavy) if Gaga, Beyoncé or Taylor Swift released that travesty. An onslaught like no other.
Britney kind of gets away with it, because she’s Britney, and as an artist how can she fully shine considering the circumstances. She’s been through it; with the conservatorship and all the constraints on her life (personal and otherwise), people kind of accept mediocrity.
However, BJ is not mediocre, it’s worse. It’s horrendous. 
Now, if only (pop) music was like cinema, we might begin to evaluate the album with different eyes (and ears). Only time will tell (think next century). 
Often if a film is so bad, it becomes an ironic and cultish oddity by transcending it’s banality and cheesy status. But, BJ does not deserve that (it’s 100% team Lar-Lou-Ja), and besides it does not have a shred of humour, other than the fact that it’s not Britney singing on most of it, which in a weird way makes it Myah’s iconic turn. Why else would RuPaul have her feature on his song Adrenaline, sounding like Britney? Because, in a weird other dimension way Myah is the real star of BJ. An accidental pop culture oddity that deserves recognition....many years from now.
So, by all means celebrate BJ and “she who shall not be named”, just leave Britney out of it.

giphy-downsized.gif

18 hours ago, PrinceAli89 said:

I actually enjoy the album and have never had a major problem with it. It helped me get through 2 different painful breakups at various times in my life. I actually have found myself listening to this album more than Femme Fatale. 

My biggest annoyance surrounding this album is how new fans will hate on this album automatically without even listening to it. It has become a very annoying bandwagon to jump on, which is typical in the Britney fan community. It’s ok to not like an album, but I’ve seen brand new fans that have only been fans for less than a year say they hate this album then say they haven’t fully listened to it all the way through. My other annoyance with this community is I have seen fans say they love Britney Jean but then here comes the Britney Army trash talking them calling them a “fake fan” and stuff. I have noticed if you don’t like the same albums, songs, etc. that are the general Britney Army faves, you are looked down on, which is not ok! 

Over the years as I’ve gotten older, I have learned the Britney Army can be very negative sometimes, especially on this forum. I have learned to sort of roll with the punches though and not let them ever alter my own opinion on a Britney album, song, pic, music video, etc. We all have different opinions and it’s ok to agree to disagree. :) 

Best comment of the thread! :ahhh_britney_scream_glory_excited_yay_pumped:

16 hours ago, RebelMe said:

Not someone bringing BJ to life again. Can't we just move on? :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

I have a new perspective on it, I used to hate it too before 2020, but after sitting down actually paying attention to it, I love it.

:ahhh_britney_scream_glory_excited_yay_pumped:

16 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Britney Jean>Chromatica, Prism, Smile, Witness, Anti, Joanne, Lemonade, Positions, Folklore, Willow :comingthru_miss_ny_new_york_pollard_tiffany_walk_runway_hair:

Take out Folklore and Evermore, and you're 100% correct. :ahhh_britney_scream_glory_excited_yay_pumped:

Perfume is great. Hold on tight and Alien are good songs too but they sound so unfinished... The whole album sounds dated af and the production is whack. Britney didn't even bother to sing on it. It's not underrated. If anything, it's overrated seeing how Work ***** is so universally praised among the fans. That song is crap and it's all Myah. Where is the taste?

Okay, here's what i have to say about Britney Jean, that i've seen some people say in this thread. 

Removing the Myah out of the equation, some of the songs aren't bad. Work ***** got people's attentions, even people who are not Britney fans say that the song they like is Work ***** (i can testify i have witness this). But if we take a good look at the songs in the album they don't really scream Britney. Sure, 'Til It's Gone, Passenger, Don't Cry, Brightest Morning Star and Hold on Tight are good. I enjoy these songs but they could have come from anyone else. Any other pop singer could sing these songs and they would pass. That's the big issue i have with Britney Jean. The fact that it doesn't look to be a Britney album, the elements that made her albums stand out, the uniqueness is just gone on this one. I'd say it also looks extremely rushed but we know that was the case and reason why Myah entered the equation. Her label and team wanted Britney to follow trends, and we all know that girl doesn't follow trends... She sets them. I'd say that Femme Fatale, while not really as bad wasn't that good as well because it had the same issue. Robotney. :4music_britney_2013_uk_annoyed_irritated_mad:

Archived