The UK announces ANOTHER new mutant strain of coronavirus has entered Britain from South Africa

Two cases of a new, "more transmissible" COVID-19 variant linked to South Africa have been identified in the UK, the health secretary has said.

Both cases are contacts of people who travelled from South Africa over the last few weeks, Matt Hancock said at a Downing Street news conference.

Those with the new variant, and contacts of them, are quarantining.

There are immediate restrictions on travelling from South Africa. Sky News understands incoming flights from the country will be stopped.

In addition, people who have been in contact with anyone who has been in South Africa in the last fortnight have been told they must quarantine.

Dr Susan Hopkins, from Public Health England, said the new variant recently discovered in the UK, and the one found in South Africa, are "very different" and are "different mutations".

"Both of them look like they're more transmissible," she added.

Regarding inoculation, Dr Hopkins said the Pfizer vaccine produces a "strong immune response and it's broad and acts against lots of variation in the virus", adding that there is "no evidence at the moment that the vaccine will not work".

Mr Hancock said: "This new variant is highly concerning because it is yet more transmissible and it appears to have mutated further than the new variant that has been discovered in the UK."

Analysis: South African variant 'seems to have a higher viral load'

Source: Sky News

skynews-coronavirus-mutation_5207375.jpg.1e40cbee988926b4e294f619413480de.jpg

I had to cancel my wedding this October, we rescheduled for October 2021 and thought it will definitely all be over by then!

Now i'm not so sure.

I'm from the UK and what I do know is that people are not willing to isolate and pay attention to the rules, especially when we have had people in parliament caught breaking the rules.

People do not like to be controlled.

I don't watch the news anymore, i'm sick of hearing about it.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block