Cancel Culture

Sia

On 12/23/2020 at 3:10 PM, NotLouTaylor said:

cancel culture is rarely effective unless you're shane dawnson , it's just a twitter fantasy, most people don't care about an artist's personal life/issues,  they'll still continue to bop to the songs if the music is good

people tried to cancel michael jackson, r kelly, xxxtentacion, kanye west etc multiple times lol

yet they still have 30/40 millions of monthly listeners on Spotify

people tried to cancel jeffree star all year but it just made him more popular than EVER

Learning is a process. It takes time. The discussions are necessary. Believe me, these conversations WILL make a change, sooner or later.

Also, cancel culture is the result of social media algorhythms. If they only show us what interest us, then we can't see and discover and appreciate what is different or unexpected, and then we even start losing the ability to empathise with others. It's terrible, really. I honestly believe that we can already see the consequences of that, like the intolerance and lack of dialogue behind cancel culture.

1 hour ago, bitbitboi said:

Learning is a process. It takes time. The discussions are necessary. Believe me, these conversations WILL make a change, sooner or later.

i think we're in a weird zeitgeist at the moment, people are trying really hard to prove that they're not problematic , but it will not last, things will go back to normal one day cause humanity isnt perfect

• Like 1
On 12/22/2020 at 2:22 PM, Sia said:

- skills to have in-person confrontation to tell someone to “eff off,” so they resort to online bullying

I have been waiting for someone to say this. A lot of people really do seem to lack a lot of the things needed to actively talk things out with someone. If you really want to dislike someone, then you should actively have the confidence to not only explain why you dislike them, but also to listen to what they have to say. I really don't understand why this is hard for some people. Not to mention that not actually giving someone closure in itself is rude.

5 hours ago, Britney2001 said:

I have been waiting for someone to say this. A lot of people really do seem to lack a lot of the things needed to actively talk things out with someone. If you really want to dislike someone, then you should actively have the confidence to not only explain why you dislike them, but also to listen to what they have to say. I really don't understand why this is hard for some people. Not to mention that not actually giving someone closure in itself is rude.

Exactly!

People will sometimes tell me I’m argumentative or rude if I don’t like someone, but it’s quite the opposite. If I have a problem with someone, I don’t see the point in not confronting them, rather than disliking them and then talking crap about them behind their backs to my friends. It just doesn’t make sense.

It’s the same with dating though. Everyone meets on apps, but then wonder why they can’t keep a relationship. I wanna be like “well, your introduction to each other was artificial so what do you expect?”

• Love 1

I think ppl do cancel culture because it makes them feel better for not doing anything to stop problematic things in their actual life tbh

Its easy to cancel ppl online but to cancel them in reality is hard and could have a negative impact on you. 

Cancelling celebs is easy. You don’t have to be involved with them. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block