Cancel Culture

Sia

On 12/22/2020 at 8:22 PM, Sia said:

Just a thought...

Cancel culture is the result of a generation deprived of...

- skills to have in-person confrontation to tell someone to “eff off,” so they resort to online bullying

- the ability to slam shut a flip phone or slam a phone back on the receiver on someone 

- validation, so they need to get it by getting a group of people to validate their own personal anger against someone elsecancel-culture.jpg.82dae8a88deed120406ef2d254f343fb.jpg

Don’t forget the ability to believe everything they read just because they are happy with It... 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Stefani said:

Some people deserve to be cancelled though, like R. Kelly and Ellen. I dunno why the soccer moms still stan the latter when she was outed as a horrible person by multiple people. Also I don't get how Doja still has fans when she was revealed to be a self-hating racist.

U cant put ellen & r kelly in the same category ⚰️

• Love 2
  • Like 2

I think cancel culture has always been around for public figures. In the past it was ran by the paparazzi which helped fuel public opinion in magazines/papers and some websites. 

If you think about it...the paparazzi were trying to cancel Britney when Justin & Britney broke up. The public had an opinion on anything she did and even if she tried to sway their opinion they would find something wrong or the paps would share a photo of her doing something else. The same happened to Michael Jackson back in the 90’s + many others. 

No we have social media platforms where anyone can post or share anything. People can start commenting on something and then help sway opinion. YES some folks like Cosby, Luke and Weinstein deserve this kind of cancel culture. On the other hand there are other public figures who share an opinion or comment on something and then become a target. Thats when this cancel culture gets out of hand. People can’t have a conversation anymore or respect the fact that people have different opinions/beliefs. The great thing is that we can go on with our day or look at something else, but most of us engage and rage :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Like 2

We as a society jump to cancel people so quickly. There is a thread where many of us on here wanted Christina canceled for shading Britney over throwing shade 20 years ago.

The younger generation is trying to be more woke, and are fighting for every issue which is great but they’re fighting with the threat of canceling everyone.

Ellen deserves to be canceled. R. Kelly and Cosby deserve to be canceled.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

I think cancel culture has always been around for public figures. In the past it was ran by the paparazzi which helped fuel public opinion in magazines/papers and some websites. 

If you think about it...the paparazzi were trying to cancel Britney when Justin & Britney broke up. The public had an opinion on anything she did and even if she tried to sway their opinion they would find something wrong or the paps would share a photo of her doing something else. The same happened to Michael Jackson back in the 90’s + many others. 

No we have social media platforms where anyone can post or share anything. People can start commenting on something and then help sway opinion. YES some folks like Cosby, Luke and Weinstein deserve this kind of cancel culture. On the other hand there are other public figures who share an opinion or comment on something and then become a target. Thats when this cancel culture gets out of hand. People can’t have a conversation anymore or respect the fact that people have different opinions/beliefs. The great thing is that we can go on with our day or look at something else, but most of us engage and rage :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

Engage and Rage is my new album :roxxy:

• Haha 2

People are flawed but bad behavior goes beyond flawed. Flawed is not being perfect, which no one is, but bad behavior is a choice to do shady or illegal things. A lot of celeb bad behavior comes from their privilege and power. I do think some celebs should be less supported if they're actually doing bad things. They're in the spotlight and should know that their bad behavior might be outed and have consequences. If a non-celeb is caught with bad behavior they are punished by their work or the law or their family/friends. It's a privilege thing.

As a culture, we used to not say anything, but in recent years we have started calling people out for it and that's a good thing to say that we won't support bad behavior. Money and fame doesn't give someone an excuse for being a ****ty person and with continual bad behavior. R. Kelly is the best example of this. I watched Surviving R. Kelly and was disgusted that people knew what he was doing and continued supporting him throughout the 90s and 00s. We all kind of made it a joke. And now we're finally saying that's not okay.

But the truth is that we don't usually actually "cancel" people. Like Camila Cabella was proven to be a blatant racist as late of 2 years ago, which is disgusting, and nobody did anything about it. She'll probably continue to have hits. So "cancel culture" might annoy some people but it's not like it really does anything anyway. The part that doesn't make sense is the fans that know what bad behavior is going on and choose to look the other way and support that celeb by giving them more money and fame/power.

• Love 2

It’s important that we grow and learn to respect each other. Specifically marginalized groups. So I don’t think cancel culture stems from a bad place. However, people should be able to educate themselves and come back to the conversation with knowing a new perspective. 

for lgbt people, I think it’s been a good thing because it has (thankfully) quieted the hatred a little. Even then we have a far way to go. I just remember the overwhelming amount of hatred gay people got when I was a little gay boy.

i do think canceling Lana del rey for comparing herself to artists to prove a point, when 4/5 are black, is when we start taking it way too far. 

it’s mostly about intent and it’s situational

• Love 1

Cancel culture can be helpful when it shows that folks in power are rap**** or ***ual abusers or unapologetically racist for example. We news to be aware of beliefs that are harmful and make choices for ourselves on whether we continue consuming what that person puts out or not. 

That said, the way cancel culture has shifted is in and of itself harmful, and has become something of a competition for people online to be the *correctest* of the *correct* while virtue signaling and excusing some of their own vitriol that they put outward for some other persons opinion or view. 

It's a new way for certain folks to police others - often in the wrong ways. For instance I've seen white het dudes try to police lesbians or bi women (some white some of color) on their experiences or the media they choose to consume or how they discuss certain issues. They may also jump in on some 'cancellation' bull**** when really, they need to. Chill and realize they don't come from the same fabric of said women. They can go so far as to make misogynistic insults and threats, and suddenly it's valid to do so because their opinion is the correctest of the correct. 

So yea it can be useful. But it's going to a place that's harmful. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1

There's nothing wrong on cancelling rap***, pedophiles, people that kill or go to jail for something really bad, socially atrocious. But cancelling someone for saying something stupid, not having the same views as you, as an individual, or of your bubble, is shallow and do nothing, only marketing in favour of that person.

• Love 1

The problem nowadays is that everyone has the opportunity to use internet. 

Everybody wanna do everything, even without knowing how to. 

Less time on internet and more time on books would be a good solution. 

The only good thing about technology is that we All can relate together, and would be meant to collaborate and break walls. 

Instead we creat them, and do our best to drag everyone. 

Please holy spearit, redeem us from the ignorance. Happy Xmas Exhalers! 

• Love 1

Many moons ago -

(almost 20 years ago) I didn’t get along with a kid from school, I was a ignorant conservative then and said some mean **** because he pissed me off.....a few months ago he messaged me with a screen shot of that fight we had, he said I needed to be cancelled on all aspects of my life. This was almost 20 Years ago.... I’m not the same person I was then, I’ve grown and changed but yet I need to be cancelled and pay for what I did. 😬

not sure this fits in this thread but I wanted to share. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block