Cancel Culture

Sia

cancel culture is rarely effective unless you're shane dawnson , it's just a twitter fantasy, most people don't care about an artist's personal life/issues,  they'll still continue to bop to the songs if the music is good

people tried to cancel michael jackson, r kelly, xxxtentacion, kanye west etc multiple times lol

yet they still have 30/40 millions of monthly listeners on Spotify

people tried to cancel jeffree star all year but it just made him more popular than EVER

• Love 1
1 hour ago, nwonder said:

Well said OP.

My stance is that some people need cancelling I.e to be be held accountable for problematic behaviour. If 2020 has taught us anything, than we need to raise our voice and say that’s not okay and I no longer choose to support you.

But cancel culture can go too far with people on Twitter being overly sensitive/ ‘woke’ about the  smallest things. People enjoy being ‘outraged’ I guess.

Cancel culture should only apply to behaviour that  incites and promotes serious hatred or harm towards others.

IMO, I do think that stan culture is far worse and toxic than cancel culture however.  Esp when it comes to stans harassing people or aggressively defending their faves chitty behaviour.

:beynah_beyonce_talking_telling_preaching:

Pretty good statement tbh. 

Ill add that, yes some people will take it too far and be keyboard warriors, but at the same time if many people agree its your time to prove yourself.

For example, jk rowling. People wanna cancel her but shes just so powerful & creative 💰. The thing is, i feel like she hasnt really proved herself personally since her criticism, so she really doesnt deserve the power 💰... ill testify to the child actors daniel, emma, & rupert for turning out so well being so young in the spotlight. Cant say the same about jk, due to her terrible twitter feed. And thats too bad bc shes been a grown *** woman this whole time. Use your power for good and support the lgbt & trans community. 

I think emma and daniel have been great allies for marginalized groups especially privileged white child stars. Theyve seemed to be very genuine allies for people of color and the lgbtq community. Keep up the good work you 2. 

• Love 1

I can't think of anyone who's successfully been canceled. 

For me, cancel culture just seems like an largely ineffective approach to problematic behavior, doesn't give people room to grow or learn, and is more of a show people put on for social media relevancy than from any serious desire to address what they consider a problem 9/10 times.

The inverse of this issue  are those people who think receiving  criticism for their words or actions itself is "cancel culture going too far", which to me is equally as unproductive. 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, NotLouTaylor said:

cancel culture is rarely effective unless you're shane dawnson , it's just a twitter fantasy, most people don't care about an artist's personal life/issues,  they'll still continue to bop to the songs if the music is good

people tried to cancel michael jackson, r kelly, xxxtentacion, kanye west etc multiple times lol

yet they still have 30/40 millions of monthly listeners on Spotify

people tried to cancel jeffree star all year but it just made him more popular than EVER

Is Shane Dawson really canceled though? Give him a few years, a couple youtuber shoutouts, and a redemption arc and there you go. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, 1stopBopshop said:

Is Shane Dawson really canceled though? Give him a few years, a couple youtuber shoutouts, and a redemption arc and there you go. 

The entertainment industry and The internet are very very unpredictable honestly, i believe anything could happen it's all about context and knowing how to seize good opportunities

Idk if Shane is cancelled for good, but as for now his situation doesn't look very promising

• Love 1

To me, this cancel culture is a complex and complicated thing.

In some cases, the cancel culture is just for uneducated, blind, shallow brats who are sure that they are right and the rest of the world is stupid, biased and evil. (e.g. Lana's case, Adele's case etc.)

In some other case, the cancel culture is just a right voice of younger generations who wants to bring justice or do things differently and better. (e.g. Donnie's case, R. Kelly's case, Kanye's case etc.)

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Stefani said:

Some people deserve to be cancelled though, like R. Kelly and Ellen. I dunno why the soccer moms still stan the latter when she was outed as a horrible person by multiple people. Also I don't get how Doja still has fans when she was revealed to be a self-hating racist.

But it's not Spotify's job to parenting me, he has a recorddeal, so they have to give us everything. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/newsbeat-44073801

I don't say he is a great person, but that's not their business. 

I’m sorry and it might be harsh....

but...

James Charles deserves every “Cancellation” he gets. 

He is so disingenuous he practically oozes it out of his contoured pores. 

Aside from that I think people can cancel whoever they feel they need to without bullying. 

Bullying leads nowhere. Stop buying their products, following them, streaming their content or write an email/dm to their sponsors. Bullying only leads to someone who’s been canceled...claiming the victim card (which would be james charles🤣😂)

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block