Pharrell Williams confirmed Janet Jackson recorded "Slave 4 U" before passing it onto Britney

I don't even wanna hear it. :holduplisten_hold_up_listen_preach_telling_wisdom_wise:

Not because I don't like Janet, because I love her, but because I associate that song very specifically with Britney, the dance, the iconic thong outside the pants,Β and that more adult, coming-of-age Britney era she debuted with Slave. It literally helped establish her as a more mature artist and it kept her image and sound from becoming stale at the time.Β 

I just cannot listen to Janet's version, although I'm sure it sounds flawless and it fits her like a glove. But that's what makes it so strange. Why would Janet pass up the song? It's such a Janet song lol. Maybe her version was a little too graphic and it was rewritten to be more mild when they gave it to Brit....:mattafact_alligator_telling_talking_chatting_preaching_green:

• Love 2
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, CloseMyEyes1457 said:

If it wasn't for Britney being all **** at the top of the career, the overtly ***ualized steamy video,Β the performance and her being barely legal that song would have tanked big. It was really a super slow grower for me, and all of the previously mentioned facts helped it to cement the growing. Otherwise, I don't think the song on its own hasΒ that much replay value as a radio friendly hit - it has a bit of a weird structure and the melody is not the catchiest.Β 

Β 

P.S. Before I'm attacked, I personally LOVE the song. But that song underperformed with the general public for a lead single and I think Janet couldn't have been able to save it.Β 

I was about to very respectfully disagree, because like who comes after Slave it's iconic, but I actually think you're 100% right.

I remember watching the VMA performance live - nobody knew the song so it was already kind of meh, but then she looked so incredible, nailed the choreography, DANCED WITH A LIVE SNAKE AROUND HER NECK, and a classic was born. Without that performance, the video, the fact that she literally looked better than ever and fully transitioned to a mature artist, I can see it being merely a Janet reject.

Also, @KorbΒ sums it up perfectlyΒ :meryell_meryl_streep_meme_yell:

• Love 2
On 12/21/2020 at 10:58 AM, Spicechinodiva said:

If it leaks, I might like it more..

Β 

It's such a Janet Jackson song.Β  Not gonna lie.Β 

I’ve always thought Britney was more influenced by Janet. More so than Madonna like most people say. I hope it leaks and someone makes a mash up... I need a Britney Janet collabΒ :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Innate said:

I’ve always thought Britney was more influenced by Janet. More so than Madonna like most people say. I hope it leaks and someone makes a mash up... I need a Britney Janet collabΒ :yesplease_yas_agree_preach:

Yes!!! I feel like the Madonna connection was all media hype since they were both blonde and no other pop artist had attained the status that Madonna had when Britney first entered the scene. I always thought her sound was more urban/****/sensual like Janet and Britney has stated on numerous occasions that she was more influenced by Janet than Madonna. A Britney/Janet collab would beΒ :bop_beyonce_dancing_yes_Yas_cheer_party_glasses:

25 minutes ago, Innate said:

She was,Β  but they went with the blond woman narrative cos god forbid a white woman is inspired by an African American woman..

In reality, Pink was and actually shou6be acknowledged that she's Madonna musical daughter..

Β 

Pink was and is very vocal more so than her peers on her love for Madonna.Β Β 

Β 

Even in the review fir TryΒ this,Β  the sister album to Missundaztood.

Β 

They said in 3 albums Pink showed herself, with way to brutal honesty lyrics about her youth and family,Β  and her distaste for females who think they can steal stuff that isn't theirsΒ 

Β 

Hooker, the hidden scathing track on explicit pressing of Try this, an all out assualt on Xtina.Β 

Β 

She is Madonna's musical daughter being born in 79, she was there since day one.Β Β 

Β 

@Midnight

Β 

Am I rightΒ 

8 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

In reality, Pink was and actually shou6be acknowledged that she's Madonna musical daughter..

Β 

Pink was and is very vocal more so than her peers on her love for Madonna.Β Β 

Β 

Even in the review fir TryΒ this,Β  the sister album to Missundaztood.

Β 

They said in 3 albums Pink showed herself, with way to brutal honesty lyrics about her youth and family,Β  and her distaste for females who think they can steal stuff that isn't theirsΒ 

Β 

Hooker, the hidden scathing track on explicit pressing of Try this, an all out assualt on Xtina

She is Madonna's musical daughter being born in 79, she was there since day one.Β Β 

Β 

@Midnight

Β 

Am I rightΒ 

Vocally, I don't hear any "daughters" of Madonna.

Madonna has a unique range of sound, especially after Evita.

It would be interesting to hear a new young singer who had that same range of sound

On 12/21/2020 at 2:12 AM, Spicechinodiva said:

To be honest in 2001 race issues wasn't a huge deal as it is now.Β 

Β 

It was a much different world.Β 

Β 

To be fair most of the police brutality was teens just doing normal teen behavior.Β 

Β 

That's the problem.Β  Adults forget being a teenager and doing minor scuffles with the laws

Β 

that is political correctness