Pharrell Williams confirmed Janet Jackson recorded "Slave 4 U" before passing it onto Britney

My God I'd love to hear that demo! 

Here's the thing though... I  love what Pharrell said about the song. It didn't feel right for Janet, and she knew that. It's a little young for where she was at in her career, but for BRITNEY.... for Britney this song was an iconic smash. She was the right age, she embodied pop culture at the moment.... it was a perfect match. 

1 hour ago, PickleSpears said:

It's like Umbrella - it wouldn't have really worked for Britney but was perfect for Rihanna.

Janet is amazing and one of my favorites but Slave wouldn't have fit on All For You or Damita Jo, whichever she recorded it for. It was perfect for Britney.

Yes it would have though. With a few minor lyric tweaks, Slave 4 U had potential to be a major hit for Janet. Personally, I feel like she would have done the song more justice. Not to say Britney didn’t execute it amazing as well. 

11 minutes ago, GODNEY IS A QUEEN said:

Yes it would have though. With a few minor lyric tweaks, Slave 4 U had potential to be a major hit for Janet. Personally, I feel like she would have done the song more justice. Not to say Britney didn’t execute it amazing as well. 

It wouldn't have fit in well with the other songs on All For You (2001) or Damita Jo (2004) is what I was saying. I'm assuming it was recorded for All For You but either way - those albums were cohesive and a different sound than Slave.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

To be honest in 2001 race issues wasn't a huge deal as it is now. 

It was a much different world. 

To be fair most of the police brutality was teens just doing normal teen behavior. 

That's the problem.  Adults forget being a teenager and doing minor scuffles with the laws

You sound so ignorant and out of touch with society. Race has always been a big issue. I guess since you claim to a trust fund, music historian "kid", you don't care to view the perspectives of minorities. That's fine, live in your bubble,  but do not make claims like this. It's just uneducated and wrong. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, PickleSpears said:

It wouldn't have fit in well with the other songs on All For You (2001) or Damita Jo (2004) is what I was saying. I'm assuming it was recorded for All For You but either way - those albums were cohesive and a different sound than Slave.

Well then we can argue and say the same for Britney (2001). On one extreme, we had songs like Slave/Boys with pure hip-hop influence and on the other, songs like Cinderella/Bombastic Love which had that Max Martin-Cheroin influence. Regardless, I’m happy that Britney was able to keep Slave for herself as it helped her evolve towards the next stage in her career. I see your point but I’m also just saying is that it would have worked for Janet as well during her AFY era. Maybe she just didn’t want to work with The Neptunes then since their sound was heavily recycled through all of their productions and she wanted something more original, who knows.

• Love 1
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, TheySayImCrazy18 said:

Never was a big fan of Janet, but I’m sure her version was great.  But things happen for a reason; and I’m sure it went to  Britney  because her version was better.

Sometimes it not because its better, its because the first singer rejeted... And I think its the case.

22 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

If it leaks, I might like it more..

It's such a Janet Jackson song.  Not gonna lie. 

Boys no, but slave years. I can not imagine how more erotic her version is.  Probably a lot of classic Janet's mmm my lips hurt, moaning and groaning ad lib. 

I totally agree, but thinking that its already a Britney's song it would be pretty iconic if they re-record it together:melt_weird_drift_wow:

I always think on how iconic would be doing a hits and non hits re-record album with some of the artists Britney has been inspired of :neydedance_purple:

2 hours ago, GODNEY IS A QUEEN said:

Well then we can argue and say the same for Britney (2001). On one extreme, we had songs like Slave/Boys with pure hip-hop influence and on the other, songs like Cinderella/Bombastic Love which had that Max Martin-Cheroin influence. Regardless, I’m happy that Britney was able to keep Slave for herself as it helped her evolve towards the next stage in her career. I see your point but I’m also just saying is that it would have worked for Janet as well during her AFY era. Maybe she just didn’t want to work with The Neptunes then since their sound was heavily recycled through all of their productions and she wanted something more original, who knows.

I def agree that it took Britney to another level and that the "Britney" album is not cohesive, which is fine with me. I was just saying that All For You IS cohesive and Slave didn't fit in. I'm sure that's why she rejected it. It worked out the way it needed to.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, GODNEY IS A QUEEN said:

No way. Slave 4 U was meant for Britney. 

• Love 1

If it wasn't for Britney being all **** at the top of the career, the overtly ***ualized steamy video, the performance and her being barely legal that song would have tanked big. It was really a super slow grower for me, and all of the previously mentioned facts helped it to cement the growing. Otherwise, I don't think the song on its own has that much replay value as a radio friendly hit - it has a bit of a weird structure and the melody is not the catchiest. 

P.S. Before I'm attacked, I personally LOVE the song. But that song underperformed with the general public for a lead single and I think Janet couldn't have been able to save it.