Why did Britney's "Glory" era get cut so short?

i'm thinking it was just because slumber party flopped? it's kinda hard for artists to pick things up again after a single didn't do very well. lead singles are usually the best performing and goes downhill from there. make me, while still a hit, didn't even go top 10 so i'm thinking her team just wanted to cut their losses

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Easy There said:

Make Me fiasco killed the ears charts wise.

She kinda lost interest in her career after hooking up with sam (smth else going on bts)

Make me is a really good song! Katy Perry intentionally released Rise to deviate focus from Britney ...

Also music video was arrived 2 weeks late. Her VMA performance was hyped but VMA gave Beyoncé a 15 min slot just before her.

Make me is platinum ...so it did a decent job , the only problem were

1. The song was not promoted properly

2. they should have released a single with Britney VMA performance and music video

3. RCA was not expecting glory to go number 1. So clearly poor marketing plans

4. if you think about it glory is a medium hit album without any hit single

• Like 4

The budget was used for the MM music video. Her label didn't want to spend that much for SP. Neither song sold the album. In fact the whole fiasco and official MM music video turned off people from the era. Britney's first single rollouts are always top notch and hyped. Once the hype was met with an unappealing music video/performance, then it really ruined the era. SP had some hope but it didn't get any promotion.

• Like 9

Make Me music video killed the hype. Imagine if the original video had been released... everyone was excited for Brit’s big ‘comeback’ from that Britney Jean mess :( 

The original Glory cover did NO favors. It was basic and boring, I mean, it was a screen grab like come ON RCA!!!!!!! 

The interviews... she never talks about the music or breaks down recording the album and that would certainly help propel the album up the charts.

Then Slumber Party... no promotion... no attention. Then nothing else. 

Since Femme Fatale, her album rollouts are so ****** messy and lackluster. Glory had soo much potential, the potential was OOZING when Make Me was released... then it was downhill from there. 

• Like 8

Honestly I loved how bubbly she was and her personality was shining so much! I’ll always be devastated this amazing album only had two singles :( 

I wish they promoted slumber party! There were so many single choices, I really wanted Better/Just Luv Me as singles.

I loved her interviews that era, the performances, the festivals she did - honestly she did do a lot more promo than she has in a long time. But there was a lack of promo at the times music was released. 

I’ll never forgive her team for cutting the era short.

• Love 6
  • Like 1

I think Britney needs to be managed by Roc Nation, once she is out of the conservatorship.  You can already tell they are working on reshaping Christina’s image, and I’m impressed on what they have done so far. I have a feeling Roc Nation would help build Britney’s brand back up, as well as helping her with her confidence. Britney would just have to be willing to put in some hard work. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1
31 minutes ago, Body ache said:

The budget was used for the MM music video. Her label didn't want to spend that much for SP. Neither song sold the album. In fact the whole fiasco and official MM music video turned off people from the era. Britney's first single rollouts are always top notch and hyped. Once the hype was met with an unappealing music video/performance, then it really ruined the era. SP had some hope but it didn't get any promotion.

This. Even the people who think the OG MV is trashy know that if it was released with the original photoshoot it would’ve gotten people talking. It honestly could have been the next If U Seek Amy type fiasco

and honestly with how many news outlets kept questioning why the cship was in place (like many fans at the time too), the chains imagery could’ve brought up a very interesting conversation at the time (which very well could have been Britney’s intention)

• Love 5
  • Like 2

I blame RCA and her team for handling things quite badly in a way. Britney seemed really passionate about the album during interviews and did quite a bit of promo. They left it way too late to release a second single which barely did nothing so they probably gave up after that because they couldn’t be bothered anymore (and partly because of Slumber Party’s underperformance). It’s a shame, Glory deserved better. So many of the songs could have been singles.

Edited by Isla
  • Love 3
49 minutes ago, Sourab Patodi said:

RCA was not expecting glory to go number 1. So clearly poor marketing plans

I think the problem was they released the album the same week as Barbara Streisand and Florida Georgia Line. Glory MIGHT have gone to number 1 had they waited a week or so. 

At the time I felt like the roll out was fast. They dropped Make Me, Then Private Show, then the MM video. After that Do You Wanna Come Over and Clumsy were released as promotional singles. Then the VMA’s and her album release. I think this all happened in a matter of six to eight weeks :slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney:

Anyway, I think the corny MM music video was the beginning of the end for Glory, but its one of her best. 

• Love 1