Lou Taylor sent BreatheHeavy a legal letter demanding we retract and apologize for the Courtney Love story within 24 hours or face legal action, so here it is

• Leader
12 hours ago, britneyluv said:

I've been thinking a lot about how to respond to this because I've been a Britney fan ever since BOMT but once I became a practicing attorney I started looking at things differently.

First let me say - @Jordan Miller while it was 100% the right move to apologize the way you did, at the end of the day, YOU. DID. NOTHING. WRONG (ethically, LEGALLY, etc). From what I gather, you merely REPOSTED a story that included DIRECT QUOTES by Courtney Love. If anybody would be on the hook for libel it would be Courtney, not Jordan.

For anyone uninterested in the legalese, feel free to skip this paragraph. But for those who are interested, defamation can include libel (written statements) and slander (spoken). While defamation laws vary from state to state, and admittedly I am only licensed to practice in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, the basic elements to prove defamation are to show that someone made a false statement about you, which they know is false yet they publish as fact, and as a result your personal and/or professional reputation are damaged, which could include financial loss or emotional distress.

Merely stating an opinion is NOT DEFAMATION, unless you present that opinion as an undisputed fact. Defamation cases are notoriously hard to prove, and TRUTH IS ALWAYS A DEFENSE. This is why celebrities very rarely sue tabloids but often go for the little guy (no offense to Jordan because you swole), meaning someone who may not have the finances to properly defend themselves, even if they did nothing wrong. In order to be liable for the tort of defamation, you must have made a statement that you either knew was false at the time you made it, or showed "reckless disregard" for whether it was true or not.

Which is all to say that most likely if this case went to trial, Jordan would not be found liable. However, in fighting that battle, you would go through the trouble of spending exorbitant amounts of money for an attorney to properly defend you, and unfortunately in these kinds of civil cases, the party with the most resources wins. It's highly unlikely that Loucifer (I think we can unapologetically call her that now) would actually sue, because her attorneys know that truth is an ABSOLUTE DEFENSE to defamation, that Jordan was not the one who made the statements but merely reposted those made by Courtney Love which he had no reason to believe were false, and that if Jordan were sued, both parties would open themselves up to discovery.

In a case like this, LOU DOES NOT WANT DISCOVERY. Because in order to defend himself, Jordan's attorneys would depose Lou, and any other individuals with relevant information, UNDER OATH, and that is where the truth actually matters. Once you are subject to a deposition, you are obligated to tell the truth or else risk being charged with perjury, so if Lou testified with a bunch of lies in order to prove her case, she would be the one in trouble, and she knows that. But she also knows that sending a scary demand letter to a nice guy who is unfamiliar with the law is the most efficient way to get him off her back. It's disgusting, shameful, and an abuse of power by attorneys that make the entire practice of law look bad.

I could go on and on for anyone who's interested in reading more, but honestly as someone who makes a career fighting bullies like this in a professional environment every day, it really upsets me to see this happen to someone who has tried to create a positive forum and genuinely tries to keep discussion open while walking on eggshells to prevent the threat of litigation by these kind of jerks, because clearly they're not going after the users, they're going after the most visible person to send a message. It's pathetic.

@Jordan MillerI sincerely mean this - you have handled this perfectly so far but if you need any legal advice going forward (obviously pro bono because duh Britney Stans stick together), just let me know and I got you. :sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing:

-Andrew

:crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

WOW!! What a POST. 

Really appreciate you offering your two cents as as Britney fan AND through the context of a legal practicing professional. You made so many interesting points. 

Ultimately the path you laid out was something I decided I did not want, hence why I'm playing along. Going to court, hiring a lawyer, depositions etc all that sounds awful to me :gloria_falling_stairs_trip: So retracting and apologizing and letting fans come to their own conclusion (imo) would make more of a statement / impact than ~fighting the good fight~. 

I have no idea if Ms Taylor will end up watching my video or if ANY of my words will resonate with her, but I hope she does watch and I hope some of it sticks. Some times people are just kinda lost and they go down a path that leads to nowhere. Hopefully she can just take a huge step back and stop making things worse (ALLEGEDLY lol). 

Thanks for the insight, Andrew! Really grateful for it. @britneyluv

• Love 4
  • Haha 1

This is ridiculous that this had to be done. So sorry to hear this Jordan! 

She gets so upset about this and yet no one will talk about it. I don't understand how they expect anything to go right if they contiue to act like it's not even happening. It just look suspicious and this made it look worst on her end. 

3 hours ago, Bundy said:

I didnt know any of that, so thanks for sharing with us! U seem such a kind person, thats the type of person I admire, the ones who have empathy towards others, and not only a few, like many other people and stars who cry about everyone's else being abused, bullied and whatnot but Britney. Many people are like that with Britney, they have no compassion towards her whatsoever and then cry about Taylor and Beyonce being bullied or cheated on. U on the other hand seems to be the opposite of that ❤️

Thank you, that's so lovely to say! :hugs_madonna_britney_ftr_2008_circus_hugging_friends_support:

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

:crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

WOW!! What a POST. 

Really appreciate you offering your two cents as as Britney fan AND through the context of a legal practicing professional. You made so many interesting points. 

Ultimately the path you laid out was something I decided I did not want, hence why I'm playing along. Going to court, hiring a lawyer, depositions etc all that sounds awful to me :gloria_falling_stairs_trip: So retracting and apologizing and letting fans come to their own conclusion (imo) would make more of a statement / impact than ~fighting the good fight~. 

I have no idea if Ms Taylor will end up watching my video or if ANY of my words will resonate with her, but I hope she does watch and I hope some of it sticks. Some times people are just kinda lost and they go down a path that leads to nowhere. Hopefully she can just take a huge step back and stop making things worse (ALLEGEDLY lol). 

Thanks for the insight, Andrew! Really grateful for it. @britneyluv

Now SIS, we BOTH know she watched. (ALLEGEDLY) :weusay_tiffany_cackle_cackling_chuckle_giggle_lol_haha_hehe_laugh:

I have no doubt in my mind. That petty *** [redacted] :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

• Love 2

Good on you Jordan for handling it so professionally. The woman is a joke.

Lou (and I hope you read this) is getting more desperate by the day! To win a defamation suit she would have to prove beyond reasonable doubt “you” set out to ruin/defame her. Good luck with that.

Obviously, she has a bone to pick with BH, since the Vanityfair article,and JLo fired her ***. Plus, her bank accounts are about to be audited, she has bigger fish to fry yet she comes for BH! WTF!

She really should be going after Lynn Spears, since she was the very one who stated in her book (orchestrated by your truly...Lucifer), that Jamie and Lou were planning the conservatorship according to gods plan, fasting, praying and evoking Jesus’ name, so they could save Britney a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶e̶s̶t̶a̶t̶e̶/̶m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶

22560B1C-CB7E-49B1-9C13-73407F3FC459.jpe 

• Love 3

She’s such a, literal, lying sack of ****.  I can’t even.  The fact that she assisted and helped plan Britney’s conservatorship is RIGHT THERE on the pages of Britney’s MOM’S book.  Like, Lou girl...Lynne named dropped you sweet pea.

Her brainwashing abilities are so good she could teach a master class.  I’m not sure why Courtney would lie about this, especially seeing as she had a relationship with Lutfi.  How sad to think that this scummy-*** “woman of God” appears to just go around planning ways to imprison women (LiLo too lmao), rather than actually find them tools to help them achieve success independently and then has the audacity to LIE about being involved.  She lied about Britney, so I choose to believe she’s lying about Courtney.  There’s a special place in Hell...that’s all I’ll say.

• Like 6

Have to be careful when it comes to defamation. The U.S is a country of lawsuits and unfortunately this article has  no corroboration. Lou may be the snake but if you gonna take on the shark you better know how to win. Freedom of speech with consequences is what I always say! 

On 12/19/2020 at 11:13 AM, Jordan Miller said:

Hey Exhale, 

Britney Spears' former business manager, Lou Taylor, sent BreatheHeavy a legal letter demanding we retract a story that was featured on BreatheHeavy and apologize within 24 hours or face legal action. The article included quotes from Courtney Love who shared her experience with Taylor, alleging Taylor tried putting her in a conservatorship similar to the one Britney Spears is currently entangled in and can't seemingly get out of.

The quotes did NOT originate on BreatheHeavy. It appears to have originated on Page Six/New York Post. They have also have taken their story down.

Before I get to the nitty gritty, I want you to know that I don't personally feel this is right, but am complying because I don't want to fight Ms. Taylor in court. I want to continue focusing on BreatheHeavy and the Free Britney movement. In this particular instance, I don't think it's worth the energy. It's hard for me to write out all my thoughts regarding this situation, so I made a video that I'd like for you to watch.

Ms. Taylor via her legal counsel refute the following featured in the original article:

"1. My clients 'planned the conservatorship for Britney [Spears] with her father'"

"2. My clients 'tried' 'to put [Courtney Love] in a conservatorship too.'" 

"3. My clients 'made an attempt to control [Kurt Cobain’s] name and likeness and all [N]irvana songs (96 percent). Then sell the publishing.'"

"4. Ms. Love 'was successful at blocking [Lou Taylor]” and that “[Ms. Spears’] pack of wolves [referring to my client] almost killed [Courtney Love] and [her] only child [Frances Bean Cobain].'"

Taylor refutes this and wants you to know the following: 

"All of these statements are false and defamatory."

"The true facts are as follows:"

"1. Lou Taylor and Tri Star never represented Courtney Love, Kurt Cobain, their daughter, or any entity affiliated with them.  Lou Taylor and Tri Star also never even had a single conversation or communication whatsoever relating to a possible conservatorship for Courtney Love.  They also have never even spoken to or communicated with Courtney Love ever."

"2. Lou Taylor and Tri Star also had nothing to do with the planning or creation of the conservatorship for Britney Spears.  They were hired to be Ms. Spears’ financial manager a year after that conservatorship had already been put in place."

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that per request we are retracting/amending this story and apologize for any distress they may have caused Ms. Taylor. It must be difficult to deal with thousands of people who adore Britney Spears and would go to great lengths to protect one of the most important, influential and iconic figures in pop culture.

Exhale, if you have any questions, thoughts or concerns, please comment below. Love you all. 

- Jordan Miller
Owner, founder of BreatheHeavy/Exhalesorry.jpg.0593900279b28c49d1f015affdf5ca28.jpg

I imagine that you seek legal advise before making this decision... I mean, I know this might be a bit scary and all, but, you could have also send them a letter telling them the following:

1) If they continue with this practice, you will sue them for INTIMIDATION.

2) And also for CENSORSHIP.

3) for ABUSE OF POWER. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, BND said:

Have to be careful when it comes to defamation. The U.S is a country of lawsuits and unfortunately this article has  no corroboration. Lou may be the snake but if you gonna take on the shark you better know how to win. Freedom of speech with consequences is what I always say! 

Lou? Is that you? :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, BND said:

Respectfully, I disagree. Yes, this is a country of lawsuits and unfortunately freedom of speech can have consequences, but your assertion that "this article has no corroboration" is pretty misleading. Courtney's DIRECT QUOTES are the corroboration. You do have to be careful when it comes to defamation, but more so when you are accusing someone of defamation because it's notoriously difficult to prove.

For Lou to actually have a case, she would have to prove that what Courtney said was false, that Jordan KNEW her statements were false, and that he published them as fact. Here, it would be incredibly difficult for Lou to prove that @Jordan Miller knew Courtney was lying, because that would be tantamount to asserting that Jordan has first-hand knowledge of the inner workings of Britney's conservatorship AND any interactions between Courtney and Lou that would unequivocally show Courtney was lying. Obviously, the pig eating GIF could not prove this without revealing intimate details of Britney's conservatorship AND whether she actually did try to place Courtney under one, because if Courtney was telling the truth, Lou has no case.

Jordan merely repeated Courtney's quotes word for word. He did not take her quotes and pass them off as fact or his own, but simply reported them, which is what any news site does. 

Take for example this article from Us Weekly: https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/pictures/stars-get-real-about-their-worst-onscreen-kisses/kate-hudson-matthew-mcconaughey/

The article states verbatim as follows:

"Honestly, I feel like I kind of haven't had the best kissers," Hudson told Gwyneth Paltrow on an October 2020 episode of "The Goop Podcast," before pointing to friend Matthew McConaughey as her worst. The actress, who starred in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days and Fools Gold with the Texas native, explained that "there's just something happening and there's like snot or wind" whenever the two try to make out. "Like when we were kissing, like, in the end of Fool's Gold, we're like in the ocean, we had the plane crash, he just had snot all over his face," she added.

Do you really think Matthew McConaughey is going to go after Us Weekly for defamation by claiming that its article had no corroboration for the contention that Kate Hudson ranked Matthew McConaughey as her worst kisser and that he had snot all over his face while they were trying to make out? :madonna_weird_alien_cuckoo_nuts:

That's basically what Lou is trying to do. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk :begone_tiffany_miss_ny_new_york_ms_door_there_leave_bye_goodbye:

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

Appreciate that :katycry_perry_crying_tears_sad_sobbing: I had no idea if this was incredibly smart or dumb but I just rolled with it :gloss_mirror_young_little_girl_smile_child_makeup_lipstick_lipgloss_lips_pink:

Look Jordan, it's obvious. u've done you're duttie, yet, you were able to spill everything at once, like, yeah,we get it. Yet at the same time, even if she wants you too, she cant come against you legally, you've done your thing legally :gloss_mirror_young_little_girl_smile_child_makeup_lipstick_lipgloss_lips_pink: sassy.

you're response was accurate legally, yet, almost on the edge without consequences. that's it. proud of u

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Body ache said:

The fact that she wanted to sue a pop forum is still sending me

:watrusayin_britney_xfactor_confused_shocked_surprised_um_what::frenchy_britney_u_sure_ff_femme_fatale_you_look::meltdown_panic_scream_falling_die_ahh_scream_yell::gloria_falling_stairs_trip::tifflmao_lol_haha_hehe_miss_new_york_laugh_ms_tiffany_pollard_cackle::madonna_weird_alien_cuckoo_nuts::clown_meme__makeup_green:

she is as dumb as her father, literally. imagine she coming to a point where she's suing millions of fans all together, she just cant. she just comes for the bigger entities of information that she can. she can't sue like twitter fan base for example lmao, she would have to sue twitter and she can't afford that ok. 

• Haha 1
  • Like 1