BSB: "I Want It That Way" vs "No Goodbyes"

jordeezy river red

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Goodbyes sounds hideous :ugh_britney_disgust_gross_ew: and they knew it, and that's why they ended up releasing the original song

After knowing that Max Martin's English wasn't that good at the time, it actually makes more sense. But anyways, that's why I always say that I want it that way I don't really care that much about lyrical content, because at the end the only thing that matters is that the final product sounds good to the ears.

Imagine if Britney sang "call me baby, one more time" instead, her career would've ended right there :lemmetellu_telling_preaching_yelling_talking_points_finger:

Plus it does make sense, if you interpret it the correct way. When the guys say "I want it that way" in the verses, they mean, they want to be each other's fire and desire. When they sing they never wanna hear her say "I want it that way" they mean they don't want her to want it to be nothing but heartache and mistake. And it's clearer on the bridge: "don't wanna hear you say ain't nothing but a heartache, ain't nothing but a mistake, I never wanna hear you say 'I want it that way' ".

So I understand why it leads to confusion, especially for native English speakers, because it doesn't sound natural to them, and it's most likely grammatically incorrect, or at least the language just doesn't work with this kind of literary licenses/resources because it leads to ambiguity, unlike other languages such as Spanish, which play a lot with words and phrases in this way, especially in poetry and music.

The only part that I think doesn't really make sense is the first verse 

When you say
That I want it that way

That 'that' shouldn't be there. It should've been "When you say 'I want it that way' " or "When you say that you want it that way" but they both sound bad. So metrics won over lyrics making sense. 

Archived