RETRACTED PER REQUEST: Courtney Love says Lou Taylor almost put her in a conservatorship like Britney Spears': Britney looks damaged, they ****ed her up for life

Message added by Jordan Miller,

Britney Spears' former business manager sent BreatheHeavy a legal letter demanding we retract a story that was featured on BreatheHeavy and apologize within 24 hours or face legal action. The article included quotes from Courtney Love who shared her experience with Taylor, alleging Taylor tried putting her in a conservatorship similar to the one Britney Spears is currently entangled in and can't seemingly get out of.

Ms. Taylor via her legal counsel refute the following featured in the article below:

"1. My clients 'planned the conservatorship for Britney [Spears] with her father'"

"2. My clients 'tried' 'to put [Courtney Love] in a conservatorship too.'" 

"3. My clients 'made an attempt to control [Kurt Cobain’s] name and likeness and all [N]irvana songs (96 percent). Then sell the publishing.'"

"4. Ms. Love 'was successful at blocking [Lou Taylor]” and that “[Ms. Spears’] pack of wolves [referring to my client] almost killed [Courtney Love] and [her] only child [Frances Bean Cobain].'"

Taylor refutes this and wants you to know the following: 

"All of these statements are false and defamatory."

"The true facts are as follows:"

"1. Lou Taylor and Tri Star never represented Courtney Love, Kurt Cobain, their daughter, or any entity affiliated with them.  Lou Taylor and Tri Star also never even had a single conversation or communication whatsoever relating to a possible conservatorship for Courtney Love.  They also have never even spoken to or communicated with Courtney Love ever."

"2. Lou Taylor and Tri Star also had nothing to do with the planning or creation of the conservatorship for Britney Spears.  They were hired to be Ms. Spears’ financial manager a year after that conservatorship had already been put in place."

I would like to take this opportunity to point out that per request we are retracting/amending this story and apologize for any distress they may have caused Ms. Taylor. It must be difficult to deal with thousands of people who adore Britney Spears and would go to great lengths to protect one of the most important, influential and iconic figures in pop culture.

It is a bit difficult to quote everyone who replied to my comment about appreciating the art and not caring for politics. PS “politics” in that context meant the drama that is happening behind the scenes with her and her team. 

sorry it rubbed off the wrong way but what I meant to say was that it is not easy to keep guessing what Britney’s situation is and has been. It is very clear that she is going through something but do not for a sec pretend that you know the whole picture and can so casually speak on her behalf. 

It is not that I do not have empathy but I am the kind of person who forms his opinion based on what he sees. I am sorry I cannot fill the gaps with stuff I create with my imagination like some users here do. If the situation is as bad as some of y’all make it out to be, when why doesn’t she speak up or call for relief. I don’t blame you though... when we lack information, our brain tends to expect the worst. 

It’s beyond me why I am being quoted in a harsh way when what I expressed is only my love and appreciation for Britney, the artist. 

• Like 1

Jordan apologizing to Lou Taylor just made 2020 all that much more amazing. 

hi Lou! We see right through you love. Hopefully the courts will too. When you go out of your way to threaten Britney supporters, you’re only digging your grave further. Guilty people tend to deflect. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, bas che said:

It is a bit difficult to quote everyone who replied to my comment about appreciating the art and not caring for politics. PS “politics” in that context meant the drama that is happening behind the scenes with her and her team. 

sorry it rubbed off the wrong way but what I meant to say was that it is not easy to keep guessing what Britney’s situation is and has been. It is very clear that she is going through something but do not for a sec pretend that you know the whole picture and can so casually speak on her behalf. 

It is not that I do not have empathy but I am the kind of person who forms his opinion based on what he sees. I am sorry I cannot fill the gaps with stuff I create with my imagination like some users here do. If the situation is as bad as some of y’all make it out to be, when why doesn’t she speak up or call for relief. I don’t blame you though... when we lack information, our brain tends to expect the worst. 

It’s beyond me why I am being quoted in a harsh way when what I expressed is only my love and appreciation for Britney, the artist. 

I think this thread just wasn't the most appropriate to say something like that :yesokay_britney_blush_blink:, but I get you.

I hope you don't take those comments personally, even though we do care about Britney's well being, as a human, we obviously still care about the artistic part, but that's what other threads are made for. I mean, you can do whatever you want, but I think saying that kind of things, especially on threads like this, will always spark a very aggressive response, so just be aware of that.

• Love 1

I've been thinking a lot about how to respond to this because I've been a Britney fan ever since BOMT but once I became a practicing attorney I started looking at things differently.

First let me say - @Jordan Miller while it was 100% the right move to apologize the way you did, at the end of the day, YOU. DID. NOTHING. WRONG (ethically, LEGALLY, etc). From what I gather, you merely REPOSTED a story that included DIRECT QUOTES by Courtney Love. If anybody would be on the hook for libel it would be Courtney, not Jordan.

For anyone uninterested in the legalese, feel free to skip this paragraph. But for those who are interested, defamation can include libel (written statements) and slander (spoken). While defamation laws vary from state to state, and admittedly I am only licensed to practice in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, the basic elements to prove defamation are to show that someone made a false statement about you, which they know is false yet they publish as fact, and as a result your personal and/or professional reputation are damaged, which could include financial loss or emotional distress. Merely stating an opinion is NOT DEFAMATION, unless you present that opinion as an undisputed fact. Defamation cases are notoriously hard to prove, and TRUTH IS ALWAYS A DEFENSE. This is why celebrities very rarely sue tabloids but often go for the little guy (no offense to Jordan because you swole), meaning someone who may not have the finances to properly defend themselves, even if they did nothing wrong. In order to be liable for the tort of defamation, you must have made a statement that you either knew was false at the time you made it, or showed "reckless disregard" for whether it was true or not.

Which is all to say that most likely if this case went to trial, Jordan would not be found liable. However, in fighting that battle, you would go through the trouble of spending exorbitant amounts of money for an attorney to properly defend you, and unfortunately in these kinds of civil cases, the party with the most resources wins. It's highly unlikely that Loucifer (I think we can unapologetically call her that know) would actually sue, because her attorneys know that truth is an ABSOLUTE DEFENSE to defamation, that Jordan was not the one who made the statements but merely reposted those made by Courtney Love which he had no reason to believe were false, and that if Jordan were sued, both parties would open themselves up to discovery. In a case like this, LOU DOES NOT WANT DISCOVERY. Because in order to defend himself, Jordan's attorneys would depose Lou, and any other individuals with relevant information, UNDER OATH, and that is where the truth actually matters. Once you are subject to a deposition, you are obligated to tell the truth or else risk being charged with perjury, so if Lou testified with a bunch of lies in order to prove her case, she would be the one in trouble, and she knows that. But she also knows that sending a scary demand letter to a nice guy who is unfamiliar with the law is the most efficient way to get him off her back. It's disgusting, shameful, and an abuse of power by attorneys that make the entire practice of law look bad.

I could go on and on for anyone who's interested in reading more, but honestly as someone who makes a career fighting bullies like this in a professional environment every day, it really upsets me to see this happen to someone who has tried to create a positive forum and genuinely tries to keep discussion open while walking on eggshells to prevent the threat of litigation by these kind of jerks, because clearly they're not going after the users, they're going after the most visible person to send a message. It's pathetic.

@Jordan MillerI sincerely mean this - you have handled this perfectly so far but if you need any legal advice going forward (obviously pro bono because duh Britney Stans stick together), just let me know and I got you. :sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing:

-Andrew

• Love 7