Internet body shames Lizzo for going on cleanse, Lizzo responds: every big girl should do whatever the f--- they want with their bodies

• Leader

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

The Internet roasted Lizzo for participating in a 10-day detox cleanse. Some people feel like she was a symbol for larger people to celebrate their size, but she's now shedding herself of that identity and the worldwide web wasn't happy about it.

Before you read a few of the Tweets aimed at Lizzo, here's what she had to say about the ordeal:

Lizzo said she'd usually feel "afraid and ashamed" to share something like a detox "because I feel like as a big girl, people expect if you are doing something for health, you’re doing it for a dramatic weight loss, and that is not the case."

"In reality, November stressed me the f--- out," she continued. "I drank a lot, I ate a lot of spicy things and things that f---ed my stomach up. I wanted to reverse it and get back to where I was. I’m so proud of myself. I’m proud of my results. My sleep has improved, my hydration, my inner peace, my mental stability, my f---ing body, my f---ing skin, the whites of my eyes, I feel and look like a bad b--- — and that’s it."

"I’m a big girl who did a smoothie detox and I wanted to share it with you guys," she concluded, before adding, "And every big girl should do whatever the f--- they want with their bodies.”

Thoughts, Exhale? Is it lame that Lizzo did this cleanse? Or does she make a point? Sound off.

lizzo-body.jpg.7a6b6518785ea21c1ec35c8e8829f185.jpg

• Love 2
  • Leader

Personally, I don't find any issue with her going on a detox at all. It's her freaking body. Although, I just feel like cleanses like this don't ~reverse~ what happened in the previous month like she claims, but I could be wrong about that. It's going from one extreme (eating lots of non-nutritious foods to no food) so that part I find more concerning then her wanting to change her body. 

• Love 3
  • Haha 2
  • Like 1

Lizzo, and only Lizzo, can choose to do whatever she wants with HER body. Why is this even a discussion? She definitely does not need to change her goals to please others. Nor is she responsible to make others feel more secure with themselves. Those who truly care about another person’s body is projecting their own insecurities and should seek help. 

• Love 2
  • Like 3

Ok so she did something that she felt would make her feel and look healthier and it worked? 

Honestly do people not realize that not all actions taken to improve one's health have to do with losing weight? :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:

Whether the method she used is or isn't effective isn't the point for me. I HATE how myself and many of my friends are judged by weight gain or loss (skinny or fat).

:lessons_preaching_telling_hand_smack:

If I tell family members that I'm eating healthier or they catch me eating more vegetables or having a homemade smoothie, the FIRST thing they say is YOU TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT???? I THOUGHT YOU LOOKED LIKE YOU LOST WEIGHT!!! YOU'RE LOOSING WEIGHT!

Let a ***** make health moves once in a while without it having to center around her appearance damn. 

Having a healthier lifestyle can help the way you feel, your energy, your mental health. There's so much more to it than weight and the fact that so many folks place weight at the center of making healthier habits is annoying. 

I'm not saying whether others should or shouldn't lose weight. I'm just pouting cause damn can some of us try to live a little healthier without our weight being the central point of it? 

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

Personally, I don't find any issue with her going on a detox at all. It's her freaking body. Although, I just feel like cleanses like this don't ~reverse~ what happened in the previous month like she claims, but I could be wrong about that. It's going from one extreme (eating lots of non-nutritious foods to no food) so that part I find more concerning then her wanting to change her body. 

It doesn’t reverse, but it’s a definite improvement to her previous lifestyle 

1 minute ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Yeah, I don't know what's up with that. :new_york_breathless_uncannyxman:

It's wild cause I agree we need more body diversity in mainstream media and we need to humanize the existence of more than just a few body types. 

But also folks like this walk a slippery slope like they feel entitled to these women and their bodies as well. It isn't just on these women to carry their sense of self worth and it's not fair to place that squarely on their shoulders. 

Yes, I love seeing heavier women have great roles and spaces in the media. But they aren't responsible for my sense of self. It's a perk.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

"Since the pandemic began, dozens of studies have reported that many of the sickest COVID-19 patients have been people with obesity. "

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/09/why-covid-19-more-deadly-people-obesity-even-if-theyre-young

"A new study, released as a preprint in the Lancet, has found that obesity is one of the three greatest risk factors for suffering the most serious consequences of Covid-19, including age. "

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2020/11/06/how-obesity-puts-you-at-risk-for-covid-19/?sh=49e5f311c34e

"Obese Americans are more likely to become dangerously ill if they are infected with the new coronavirus. Now public health officials are warning that a much broader segment of the population also may be at risk: even moderately excess weight may increase the odds of severe disease."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/10/health/coronavirus-obesity-weight.html

Edited by OnlyBeyonce
  • Love 3
  • Like 1

People acting as if she starved herself to death or as if she's forcing them to do the same. Or why do they feel disappointed, as if she owed them something? IF she wanted to lose weight, or gain weight, or do whatever she wants, that's her damn business. I'm all here for diversity and inclusivity and for body shame, ageism, racism, ***ism, etc to go away, but stop looking at celebrities to validate your own lifestyle choices and start being your own role model if you can't find a famous person to identify with (or even if you do). 

• Love 4
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block