This Day in Pop: Britney releases 'From the Bottom of My Broken Heart' single in 1999 (December 15)

ftbombhs.jpg.3011b6b7e2c656125c154fa8628294af.jpgR-1246377-1412200332-8837.jpeg.jpg

On December 15, 1999, Britney Spears released From the Bottom of My Broken Heart, the last single off her debut album ...Baby One More Time. It was written and produced by Eric Foster White. The teen pop ballad talks about the pain and heartbreak she experiences after the end of a relationship, her desires to tell her love interest that he was her first and true love. Recorded in New Jersey and New York, Dan Petty and Andy Hess played the guitar and bass guitar respectively. Britney, Angie Simmons, Don Philip and Andrew Fromm provided the background vocals.

The digital single contains Thinkin' About You as its B-side while the physical cassette included a remix of (You Drive Me) Crazy

R-13812244-1561663744-5207.jpeg.jpg

The song peaked at #14 on the US BBH100, shipping 1M copies, and selling over 770 thousand of them. It is her second best-selling physical single in the United States. It also charted in New Zealand at #20, Canada #25, Australia #37 and the UK at #174.

The song was performed in her first three tours, as well as other televised performances, including the 42nd Annual Grammy Awards.

A couple of days later, a music video was released to promote the single, so we'll commemorate that later

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Stannedforever said:

Happens when you release song in like 3 countries vs UK / European release that BTMYH got:awks_britney_side_eye_awkward_2011_ff_femme_Fatale:

From The Bottom of My Broken Heart OUTSOLD and out-sang. :idgi_dont_get_it_how_confused_what_hmm_umm_thinking:

Born To Make You Happy is my second favourite song from the ...Baby One More Time album (after E-Mail My Heart. :clicktina_xtina_christina_aguilera_mouse_computer:) but this song deserved it's position as a single. :crying1_britney_sobbing_tears_2006_sad:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

Also, we can't forget La Factoría's Todavía, which was a total ripoff of the song, but they never credited it :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

:ugh_britney_disgust_gross_ew:

Anyway, this song always reminds me of the fall. I was in the fifth grade and I remember radio playing it around November. The video also has a fall vibe to it. 

As a Britney fan I tried hard to get into it because she serves vocally but its one of her forgettable singles :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

• Like 1