What's the story with Matches?

PickleSpears

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the BSB have said this was never intended to be a collab. We got news in 2017 that Britney was recording new material, so this must’ve been one of the things she recorded. My best guess is the BSB also recorded their vocals for the song but not with the intention of being with Britney. With the Glory re-release I think her label wanted to do a push for album sales so they just merged the two together and hoped it would gain some traction.

in all honesty, despite the boycotts and everything, I feel like Matches was a huge missed opportunity. I know Britney is on a work hiatus so a MV/performance is out of the question, but they really could’ve rode the nostalgia wave with this one. It didn’t seem to be pushed to radio. It should’ve gotten the same type of single treatment as SITS (it also should’ve been the b side for the SITS vinyl single). But RCA didn’t seem to do anything with the track. Really big missed opportunity for them, but better for Britney who is refusing to work.

2 minutes ago, studlygeorge said:

I believe the BSB have said this was never intended to be a collab. We got news in 2017 that Britney was recording new material, so this must’ve been one of the things she recorded. My best guess is the BSB also recorded their vocals for the song but not with the intention of being with Britney. With the Glory re-release I think her label wanted to do a push for album sales so they just merged the two together and hoped it would gain some traction.

in all honesty, despite the boycotts and everything, I feel like Matches was a huge missed opportunity. I know Britney is on a work hiatus so a MV/performance is out of the question, but they really could’ve rode the nostalgia wave with this one. It didn’t seem to be pushed to radio. It should’ve gotten the same type of single treatment as SITS (it also should’ve been the b side for the SITS vinyl single). But RCA didn’t seem to do anything with the track. Really big missed opportunity for them, but better for Britney who is refusing to work.

I always found it interesting that she "burned her gym down" and then released a song about "playing with matches". 

I dont think it was a missed opportunity. If they actually promoted it and did a video, it would make Britney seem lame tbh. It was nice for us were kids when BSB was still relevant but they haven't been on the GP's radar for like over a decade. If they made an official single it would seem desperate like when New Kids on the Block toured with Tiffany and Debbie Gibson. Yes they still can sell tours, all of them but Britney is still super talked about, young celebs shout her out all the time, and her music still get played on major pop radio stations. 

If anything she could've done the song with Jonas Brothers, tweaked the production, and that probably would've worked better.

6 hours ago, studlygeorge said:

Couldn’t agree more. I just feel it’s an instant hit. With a proper promo and an initial niche for the nostalgic fans it could easily be spread all over Tik Tok and there u have it. But not here to daydream the market strategies. 

Why I researched this topic is that i just HAVE THAT FEELING that THIS is one of thre few songs you can hear she actually enjoyed and deep down I can feel like she wanted this to happen. You can always tell by the way she kills the vocals if she was interested to record something in first place. It’s her DYWCO-HATL-Amensia-Hook Up type of song that’s usually never a single always a bonus and definitely a starting point of a musical project it’s direction always gets changed so yeah - B10 had a bop. 

13 hours ago, Mayaberovic said:

Couldn’t agree more. I just feel it’s an instant hit. With a proper promo and an initial niche for the nostalgic fans it could easily be spread all over Tik Tok and there u have it. But not here to daydream the market strategies. 

Why I researched this topic is that i just HAVE THAT FEELING that THIS is one of thre few songs you can hear she actually enjoyed and deep down I can feel like she wanted this to happen. You can always tell by the way she kills the vocals if she was interested to record something in first place. It’s her DYWCO-HATL-Amensia-Hook Up type of song that’s usually never a single always a bonus and definitely a starting point of a musical project it’s direction always gets changed so yeah - B10 had a bop. 

Vocals on Matches could have been sung by microwave  with amount of autotune and other vocal effects. So where did you hear she killed it :orangu_orangutan_ape:

Its probably her worst vocal delivery in entire Glory era.

19 hours ago, SloppyToppyGoddess said:

I dont think it was a missed opportunity. If they actually promoted it and did a video, it would make Britney seem lame tbh. It was nice for us were kids when BSB was still relevant but they haven't been on the GP's radar for like over a decade. If they made an official single it would seem desperate like when New Kids on the Block toured with Tiffany and Debbie Gibson. Yes they still can sell tours, all of them but Britney is still super talked about, young celebs shout her out all the time, and her music still get played on major pop radio stations. 

If anything she could've done the song with Jonas Brothers, tweaked the production, and that probably would've worked better.

I concur:barbie_hair_flip_hairflip_weave_proud_cocky:

im 21 and I only know bsb from that I want it that way song and now matches

Idek what their individual names are:yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

27 minutes ago, Easy There said:

Vocals on Matches could have been sung by microwave  with amount of autotune and other vocal effects. So where did you hear she killed it :orangu_orangutan_ape:

Its probably her worst vocal delivery in entire Glory era.

You can hear all over it. If you were so into (the tool you’re looking for is melodyne), you would know that INSIDE OUT is heavier in production than Matches!

6 minutes ago, Dreams said:

didn't she work on an album for the domination residency but it got cancelled with the residency? some insiders said that

matches isn't bad but it's forgettable , britney deserves better

I’m sure it was for around that era. It sounds different than Glory. It just does. 

20 hours ago, SloppyToppyGoddess said:

No they just sell out venues... I don't know what you are talking about. 

Archived