Jump to content

What's the story with Matches?


Recommended Posts

  • 3 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well she did mention it might leave some damage

I honestly already forgot that this song exists 

I always found it interesting that she "burned her gym down" and then released a song about "playing with matches". 

I believe the BSB have said this was never intended to be a collab. We got news in 2017 that Britney was recording new material, so this must’ve been one of the things she recorded. My best guess is the BSB also recorded their vocals for the song but not with the intention of being with Britney. With the Glory re-release I think her label wanted to do a push for album sales so they just merged the two together and hoped it would gain some traction.

 

in all honesty, despite the boycotts and everything, I feel like Matches was a huge missed opportunity. I know Britney is on a work hiatus so a MV/performance is out of the question, but they really could’ve rode the nostalgia wave with this one. It didn’t seem to be pushed to radio. It should’ve gotten the same type of single treatment as SITS (it also should’ve been the b side for the SITS vinyl single). But RCA didn’t seem to do anything with the track. Really big missed opportunity for them, but better for Britney who is refusing to work.

  • Love 2
  • Like 4
Link to post
  • Exhale+

I dont think it was a missed opportunity. If they actually promoted it and did a video, it would make Britney seem lame tbh. It was nice for us were kids when BSB was still relevant but they haven't been on the GP's radar for like over a decade. If they made an official single it would seem desperate like when New Kids on the Block toured with Tiffany and Debbie Gibson. Yes they still can sell tours, all of them but Britney is still super talked about, young celebs shout her out all the time, and her music still get played on major pop radio stations. 

If anything she could've done the song with Jonas Brothers, tweaked the production, and that probably would've worked better.

  • Love 1
  • Like 2
Link to post
6 hours ago, studlygeorge said:

I believe the BSB have said this was never intended to be a collab. We got news in 2017 that Britney was recording new material, so this must’ve been one of the things she recorded. My best guess is the BSB also recorded their vocals for the song but not with the intention of being with Britney. With the Glory re-release I think her label wanted to do a push for album sales so they just merged the two together and hoped it would gain some traction.

 

in all honesty, despite the boycotts and everything, I feel like Matches was a huge missed opportunity. I know Britney is on a work hiatus so a MV/performance is out of the question, but they really could’ve rode the nostalgia wave with this one. It didn’t seem to be pushed to radio. It should’ve gotten the same type of single treatment as SITS (it also should’ve been the b side for the SITS vinyl single). But RCA didn’t seem to do anything with the track. Really big missed opportunity for them, but better for Britney who is refusing to work.

Couldn’t agree more. I just feel it’s an instant hit. With a proper promo and an initial niche for the nostalgic fans it could easily be spread all over Tik Tok and there u have it. But not here to daydream the market strategies. 

Why I researched this topic is that i just HAVE THAT FEELING that THIS is one of thre few songs you can hear she actually enjoyed and deep down I can feel like she wanted this to happen. You can always tell by the way she kills the vocals if she was interested to record something in first place. It’s her DYWCO-HATL-Amensia-Hook Up type of song that’s usually never a single always a bonus and definitely a starting point of a musical project it’s direction always gets changed so yeah - B10 had a bop. 

Link to post
  • Exhale+
19 hours ago, jordeezy said:

I honestly already forgot that this song exists 

53apau.gif

That wasn't really hard to achieve.

Still better than Swiming with Myah (whoever ghost singer was on that trac) :makeup_kylie_jenner_makeup_brush_lol_laugh_haha_hehe_lmao:

  • Like 1
Link to post
  • Exhale+
13 hours ago, Mayaberovic said:

Couldn’t agree more. I just feel it’s an instant hit. With a proper promo and an initial niche for the nostalgic fans it could easily be spread all over Tik Tok and there u have it. But not here to daydream the market strategies. 

Why I researched this topic is that i just HAVE THAT FEELING that THIS is one of thre few songs you can hear she actually enjoyed and deep down I can feel like she wanted this to happen. You can always tell by the way she kills the vocals if she was interested to record something in first place. It’s her DYWCO-HATL-Amensia-Hook Up type of song that’s usually never a single always a bonus and definitely a starting point of a musical project it’s direction always gets changed so yeah - B10 had a bop. 

Vocals on Matches could have been sung by microwave  with amount of autotune and other vocal effects. So where did you hear she killed it :orangu_orangutan_ape:

Its probably her worst vocal delivery in entire Glory era.

  • Haha 2
  • Like 2
Link to post
19 hours ago, SloppyToppyGoddess said:

I dont think it was a missed opportunity. If they actually promoted it and did a video, it would make Britney seem lame tbh. It was nice for us were kids when BSB was still relevant but they haven't been on the GP's radar for like over a decade. If they made an official single it would seem desperate like when New Kids on the Block toured with Tiffany and Debbie Gibson. Yes they still can sell tours, all of them but Britney is still super talked about, young celebs shout her out all the time, and her music still get played on major pop radio stations. 

If anything she could've done the song with Jonas Brothers, tweaked the production, and that probably would've worked better.

I concur:barbie_hair_flip_hairflip_weave_proud_cocky:

im 21 and I only know bsb from that I want it that way song and now matches

Idek what their individual names are:yaknow_britney_xfactor_X_factor_talk_tell_chat_you_know:

  • Love 2
Link to post

didn't she work on an album for the domination residency but it got cancelled with the residency? some insiders said that

matches isn't bad but it's forgettable , britney deserves better

  • Like 2
Link to post
27 minutes ago, Easy There said:

Vocals on Matches could have been sung by microwave  with amount of autotune and other vocal effects. So where did you hear she killed it :orangu_orangutan_ape:

Its probably her worst vocal delivery in entire Glory era.

You can hear all over it. If you were so into (the tool you’re looking for is melodyne), you would know that INSIDE OUT is heavier in production than Matches!

  • Like 1
Link to post
6 minutes ago, Dreams said:

didn't she work on an album for the domination residency but it got cancelled with the residency? some insiders said that

matches isn't bad but it's forgettable , britney deserves better

I’m sure it was for around that era. It sounds different than Glory. It just does. 

Link to post
20 hours ago, SloppyToppyGoddess said:

I dont think it was a missed opportunity. If they actually promoted it and did a video, it would make Britney seem lame tbh. It was nice for us were kids when BSB was still relevant but they haven't been on the GP's radar for like over a decade. If they made an official single it would seem desperate like when New Kids on the Block toured with Tiffany and Debbie Gibson. Yes they still can sell tours, all of them but Britney is still super talked about, young celebs shout her out all the time, and her music still get played on major pop radio stations. 

If anything she could've done the song with Jonas Brothers, tweaked the production, and that probably would've worked better.

No they just sell out venues... I don't know what you are talking about. 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :badthoughts_gun_kris_genner_thinking_debating:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block