Your Top Five Year-end Songs Of 2020?

In remaining days of what most people's sentiment the worst year: 2020, will also wrap up the most exciting and generous loads of music in years. Though 2020 has it's own high's and mostly low's, it still delivered the big releases and new trends to entertain the masses. From the newest materials of Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, The Weeknd and Katy Perry, even paving way for the bigger names like Harry Styles, Doja Cat and Dua Lipa. The year is indeed a busy place for the pop scene, despite the lack of live gatherings and venue-d performances. And to set the year-end mark, here are my five notable songs of 2020:

5. Stuck With U (Ariana Grande & Justin Bieber)

- the song has the definitive emotions of love-in relationships, and the acoustic elements are such a huge sigh from the nonstop 80's club trend in early months of the year. In addition, Bieber's r&b sound rather found it's place in this song than his recent full-length record (Changes).

4. WAP (Cardi B feat. Meghan Thee Stallion)

- the lyrics are straight up dirty talks, but delivers in most Cardi B way as possible. Each lines pack with authoritarian flows and bars, inspiring the girl-in-command fantasy in lockdown bedrooms.

3. Champagne Problems (Katy Perry)

- though it lacks with her signature PRISM club's boosts, the song is undoubtedly an effective earworm after a few spins. A reminder that Perry can still pull off a pop perfect deep house track.

2. Aries (Gorillaz)

- with the fuse of the current trend and futuristic instrumentations, the song is indeed an A-piece, production wise.

1. Physical (Dua Lipa)

- dancing through the pain is a far cry, considering the song embodies the frustrations of 2020 in how dark the synths are while maintaining the ecstatic hooks. The state of being conversational in it's lyricism also made Lipa's greatest club song memorable nonetheless.

Yours?songs2020.jpg.d12c8351081f615fd5dab8ee798bdf91.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Ranking songs is hard, so I'll just post them in no particular order:

I adore the whole sister song concept and the idea of turning one song into two, but Felt This Way takes the cake. It's such a vibe. :matches:

There are two other songs on this album that I arguably enjoy even more (Sick of the Sun and Nothing I Need). However, this song is what I'd call a genuine masterpiece, so I had to go with it. The fact that I can sit through this 6-minute trip of a song every time I listen to the album says a lot because I usually dislike songs that are longer than like 4,5 minutes. The drastic mood shifts were nothing new, as that's standard Poppy these days, but the way this song functions as a reprise of some of the other songs on I Disagree... Ugh, absolutely genius! Literally the perfect album closer. Also, listening to this song in complete darkness hits differently. :matches:

I've always liked GFRIEND, but I never expected them to release one of my favorite songs of the year. This is the epitome of the 70s / 80s revival trend in K-Pop - it's bubbly, it's sparkly, and, most importantly, it's sentimental. Y'all know how big of a ho I am for revival pop, but what sets MAGO apart from the rest of the revival pop songs of 2020 is that it makes me feel things. It induces this feeling of nostalgia and melancholy, which is exactly what I'm looking for and exactly what makes Carly Rae Jepsen one of my favorite popstars of all time. Queens really did that! :matches:

Definitely one of the more underrated albums of 2020. I wasn't obsessed on my first few listens, but it's actually one of my most played albums of the year. This song got me conflicted, tbh. On one hand, it's a song you'd wanna get high to. On the other hand, it has this really classy and atmospheric Fifty Shades OST / ballroom vibe. It makes me feel like I'm chilling in a New York apartment on the 70th floor with a view of the city at night. It's magical. :matches:

Obviously, had to include Dua, so I just went with my favorite song on the album. :matches:

• Love 2

fkn around -  phony ppls + meg the stallion......an amazing, underrated *** anthem 

wild youngster - nez + schoolboy q......same comment as above lol 

stupid love - lady gaga ....I actually think its one of the best songs on chromatica. it brought me such life. 

the entire future nostalgia album. ....I couldn't pick one song. but it's def my top album of the year. so. 

vulnerable - Selena Gomez. I thought this song was beautiful and was my fave off rare. 

honourable mentions....

bikini **** - tove lo
say so - doja cat
trying my best Los Angeles - Mandy moore
adore you - harry styles 

• Love 1

Top 5 pop songs (In no particular order):

Rain On Me || Lady Gaga & Ariana Grande

Positions || Ariana Grande

Night Crawling || Miley Cyrus

Levitating || Dua Lipa

Boss B || Dona Cat

Top 5 non-pop songs (In no particular order):

Willow || Taylor Swift  

Holy Ghost || Neon Trees

Cry || Ashnikko

XS || Rina Sawayama

Heartless || The Weeknd

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Towelney said:

Top 5 pop songs (In no particular order):

Rain On Me || Lady Gaga & Ariana Grande

Positions || Ariana Grande

Night Crawling || Miley Cyrus

Levitating || Dua Lipa

Boss B || Dona Cat

Top 5 non-pop songs (In no particular order):

Willow || Taylor Swift  

Holy Ghost || Neon Trees

Cry || Ashnikko

XS || Rina Sawayama

Heartless || The Weeknd

Night Crawling is the new Halloween anthem! Hands down! :enigma_alien_blue:

• Love 2
6 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Ranking songs is hard, so I'll just post them in no particular order:

I adore the whole sister song concept and the idea of turning one song into two, but Felt This Way takes the cake. It's such a vibe. :matches:

There are two other songs on this album that I arguably enjoy even more (Sick of the Sun and Nothing I Need). However, this song is what I'd call a genuine masterpiece, so I had to go with it. The fact that I can sit through this 6-minute trip of a song every time I listen to the album says a lot because I usually dislike songs that are longer than like 4,5 minutes. The drastic mood shifts were nothing new, as that's standard Poppy these days, but the way this song functions as a reprise of some of the other songs on I Disagree... Ugh, absolutely genius! Literally the perfect album closer. Also, listening to this song in complete darkness hits differently. :matches:

I've always liked GFRIEND, but I never expected them to release one of my favorite songs of the year. This is the epitome of the 70s / 80s revival trend in K-Pop - it's bubbly, it's sparkly, and, most importantly, it's sentimental. Y'all know how big of a ho I am for revival pop, but what sets MAGO apart from the rest of the revival pop songs of 2020 is that it makes me feel things. It induces this feeling of nostalgia and melancholy, which is exactly what I'm looking for and exactly what makes Carly Rae Jepsen one of my favorite popstars of all time. Queens really did that! :matches:

Definitely one of the more underrated albums of 2020. I wasn't obsessed on my first few listens, but it's actually one of my most played albums of the year. This song got me conflicted, tbh. On one hand, it's a song you'd wanna get high to. On the other hand, it has this really classy and atmospheric Fifty Shades OST / ballroom vibe. It makes me feel like I'm chilling in a New York apartment on the 70th floor with a view of the city at night. It's magical. :matches:

Obviously, had to include Dua, so I just went with my favorite song on the album. :matches:

Omg, I completely forgot Ellie released an album this year. Thank you for the reminder, will relisten later. 

• Love 1

B.S. - Jhene Aiko Ft. H.E.R.

Heat Waves - Glass Animals

If Your Too Shy (Let Me Know) - The 1975

Small Town Hypocrite - Caylee Hammack

I Want More - KALEO

Honorable Mentions

Midnight Sky - Miley Cyrus

Levitating - Dua Lipa

Exile (Featuring Bon Iver) - Taylor Swift

Level of Concern - Twenty One Pilots

Right With You - Patrick Droney 

Sorry... most of Pop music this year didn't do it for me

Wow....hmm...I had to go into my top replays for 2020 to pick mine.

All of Future Nostalgia 

I’m really bummed that no one on here brings up Tame Impala. Their whole album is amazing

Honorable Mentions:

The Weekend - Save Your Tears + his album

Selena Gomez - Cut You Off

Lady Gaga - Replay

Roddy Ricch - The Box + his album

Ava Max - Her whole album

• Love 3

Great write up. While there was a lot of music released this year, I felt like I actually liked and kept listening to very little of it. Disappointing year for music overall for me. Although, there were some highlights for me (After Hours, Future Nostalgia, Kid Cudi’s new album).

According to my listening stats, out of songs that were released in 2020, my top 5 songs are:

1. Lonely - Justin Bieber, benny blanco
  2. Be Happy (Remix) - Dixie D'Amelio, blackbear, Lil Mosey
  3. Numb - Kiiara, DeathByRomy, PVRIS
  4. Parliaments - thomboi 
  5. Who - Lauv, BTS
  • Like 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block