Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys' song "Matches" hits 3 million views on Youtube

MrPieceOfMe

21 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

The song could've had a good run on adult contemporary radio based on it being Britney and the Backstreet Boys alone. However, it sounds like a 2015 dance track whose target audience is Gen Z tweens. There's a disconnect, and it doesn't fit the current pop music landscape, so it doesn't stand a chance. ezgif-6-41f02351ebe5.gif.fc9ea02edc3ec56533263962a0d17d28.gif

I see what you're saying. It's kind of true. But I feel like there's an old sound emerging right now. Miley's album is very throwback, there's a lot of old sounds coming back right now. 

Also I read an article (about graphic design, but still applies), that at the moment a lot of old styles and trends are coming back because people want something comforting in times of high stress (which we are in right now in the western world). So Matches kind of works right now, in a weird way.

People want the stability and comfort of two older artists they love collaborating. 

• Love 3
  • 1 month later...