Dua Lipa is a boring version of Kylie Minogue (opinion)

4 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Kylie's voice is praised by vocal coaches meanwhile Dua gets a pass for just singing throaty. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

Kylie sounds like a screetching nasally little girl. She has a horribly ugly voice, Dua actually has tone and range. Her music is also better. I like some Kylie songs but her voice makes Britney's baby voice sound like Whitney Houston by comparison. Nails to a chalkboard at some points.

Also, since when has kylie been praised by vocal coaches? I didn't know that Helen Keller was allowed to teach vocals. :reductive_madonna_mdna_tea_coffee_cup_sips_sipping_drink_spill:

• Haha 2

Totally. The fact that you, somehow, manage to create a good album (basically, thanks to great collaborators) doesn't make you a charismatic performer. She is not one, that is for sure. 

I have nothing against her, I just think she is as exciting as saltless noodles. 

Kylie is the better version

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, lappyhunt1024 said:

Kylie sounds like a screetching nasally little girl. She has a horribly ugly voice, Dua actually has tone and range. Her music is also better. I like some Kylie songs but her voice makes Britney's baby voice sound like Whitney Houston by comparison. Nails to a chalkboard at some points.

Also, since when has kylie been praised by vocal coaches? I didn't know that Helen Keller was allowed to teach vocals. :reductive_madonna_mdna_tea_coffee_cup_sips_sipping_drink_spill:

Your opinion of her tone is completely irrelevant to technique. Dua's tone sounds extremely pretentious in my opinion but that doesn't factually make her a terrible singer because I don't like her tone. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

I'm not going to act like Kylie is Mariah Carey and I'm not acting like she's treated like one. It's just there are a lot who she's better than because she's a decent vocalist. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Anyone who has studied voice will tell you that the amount of notes you can hit isn't the thing you should prioritize. It's hitting those notes WELL. And if we were to bring in Kylie's range, it's around 3 octaves. Dua is considered to be a highly underdeveloped vocalist because her low notes are under-supported and her high notes are often strained. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Also I don't think we want to delve any further into talking about Dua's performing skills. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

I doubt Future Nostalgia, a basic disco-pop album would exist without Kylie Minogue's discography. But discography is subjective, so even if I think Future Nostalgia's songs are generic and boring, you might not.

Well unlike you, vocal coaches don't tolerate mediocrity just because a singer's voice sounds deep. Considering you're judging her vocals purely by her tone, you clear don't know a thing about factually judging vocals. :imdying_wendy_crying_sad_tears_sobbing:

Anyways Oops!...I Did It Again outsold both albums so, doesn't really matter to me. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Your opinion of her tone is completely irrelevant to technique. Dua's tone sounds extremely pretentious in my opinion but that doesn't factually make her a terrible singer because I don't like her tone. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Anyone who has studied voice will tell you that the amount of notes you can hit isn't the thing you should prioritize. It's hitting those notes WELL. And if we were to bring in Kylie's range, it's around 3 octaves. Dua is considered to be a highly undeveloped Soprano because her low notes barely are supported. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Also I don't think we want to delve any further into talking about Dua's performing skills. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

I doubt Future Nostalgia, a basic disco-pop album would exist without Kylie Minogue's discography. But discography is subjective, so even if I think Future Nostalgia's songs are generic and boring, you might not.

Well unlike you, vocal coaches don't tolerate mediocrity just because a singer's voice sounds deep. Considering you're judging her vocals purely by her tone, you clear don't know a thing about factually judging vocals. :imdying_wendy_crying_sad_tears_sobbing:

Anyways Oops!...I Did It Again outsold both albums so, doesn't really matter to me. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

It's not irrelevant. It's the sound coming out of her mouth. . .tone is a huge part of singing and in fact, in itself is also a technique. Dua Lipa sings circles around Kylie, singing is more than just hitting a note.

You don't "tolerate mediocracy" but you praise Kyle Minogue for vocals :umwtf_britney_wth_um_wow_eyes_big_okay:

But you're right Britney is bigger than both anyway.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, lappyhunt1024 said:

It's not irrelevant. It's the sound coming out of her mouth. . .tone is a huge part of singing and in fact, in itself is also a technique. Dua Lipa sings circles around Kylie, singing is more than just hitting a note.

You don't "tolerate mediocracy" but you praise Kyle Minogue for vocals :umwtf_britney_wth_um_wow_eyes_big_okay:

But you're right Britney is bigger than both anyway.

Tone is subjective, technique is not. If someone thinks Mariah Carey voice is irritating, that doesn't suddenly make Mariah Carey a terrible vocalist. If the tone is bad, because of problems in technique, then that can be why the tone is unpleasant. If Kylie's tone of voice bothers you, that doesn't necessarily mean it's because of technique. It could just mean she's a Soprano with a thin high voice. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

I don't exactly think she's Whitney Houston, just in comparison to Dua, from what I have seen and judged, Dua hasn't quite reached her potential as a vocalist. F4D2086F-343B-47BD-A294-23F257D87376.gif

Glad we can agree on that. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Urbanney said:

I started listening to Kylie's Disco album because Exhalers have praised Kylie for years, I've never listened to her, and the album was critically acclaimed. But I couldn't get past the first song, and this is pretty much the reason for me:

I don't like her voice, and the music is just not my vibe. It reminds me of like Jessica Simpson's Public Affair (which I'll admit is a bop) or ABBA, where it's just way, way, way too sugary and happy for me. It makes me feel I'm a princess walking through Candy Land (the board game). 

I 100% respect people who like her music and like music like that - it's just not my thing. I like music that makes me feel like a bad bit, hypes me up, or strikes an emotional chord in me, and this kind of music does none of that for me.

Meanwhile, Dua Lipa's Future Nostalgia makes me feel like a bad bit, hypes me up, and just makes me wanna dance. It makes me feel happy, but it's not an artificial over-the-top happy like Kylie's music feels to me.

But the first track off Disco is Magic tho.. Anyway I understand that you don't like her voice.. Same thing happened with me when people love Havana from Carmila Portabella. I just can't digest that song because her voice is choking me...

• Haha 1

Dua is exactly what the new generation consumes. Ariana also looks bored and too cool for school all the time. The time of the naked hair flipping divas has gone and we are getting old. She doesn’t suck because she’s not doing a backflip or twerking on a guys lap. Look at Billie, Ariana, the weekend, Rosalia .. they all have this attitude and none of them even cares about dancing 

Just now, cchenbag said:

Dua is exactly what the new generation consumes. Ariana also looks bored and too cool for school all the time. The time of the naked hair flipping era has gone and we are getting old. She doesn’t suck because she’s not doing a backflip or twerking on a guys lap. Look at Billie, Ariana, the weekend, Rosalia .. they all have this attitude and none of them even cares about dancing 

Naked hair flipping divas*

19 hours ago, NotLouTaylor said:

Future Nostalgia feels like a Kylie album but w/o the spark

When Kylie sings funk/disco/house influenced pop it feels very natural and real, it's like she has that natural vibe in her

Listen to this track for example :

But when Dua does it idk how to explain but she seems bored/emotionless, there's no real groove, it feels quite fabricated/manufactured. There's something missing. Her album is good but it could be better, so far it hasn't been anything spectacular or show-stopping. She is slightly overrated. I feel like the pop community has very low standards these days. dua-kylie.jpg.31ca30d149edc689268405be0392fcbe.jpg

Sophie Ellis Bextor (my queen), Kylie Minogue and Roisin Murphy are all better at delivering disco influenced pop music. 

It's ok to have an opinion even though it's wrong. This is like comparing apples with oranges. 

First of all, Dua has been the ONLY POP STAR this past two years / last year with a lasting impression in her music, style, fashion and performances. She delivered a 10/10 album that was original, had an amazing vision and she executed it perfectly through her videos. Her PERFORMANCES where some next level ****, things you don't see with other artists. From the choreography, to the creative direction, the uniqueness, everything.

Kylie is a devoted and amazing artist, she really gives her fans everything they want. She's also a force to be reckoned with and an amazing performer. Keep in mind that she is OG and although other pop artists came before her success or worldwide recognition (except for US), she NEVER followed a trend.

So don't pit them against each other because both deserve great accolades and they both released the BEST ALBUMS OF 2020.

Go get your taste checked, thanks bb  :endit_sunglasses_fab_yas_queen:

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Tone is subjective, technique is not. If someone thinks Mariah Carey voice is irritating, that doesn't suddenly make Mariah Carey a terrible vocalist. If the tone is bad, because of problems in technique, then that can be why the tone is unpleasant. If Kylie's tone of voice bothers you, that doesn't necessarily mean it's because of technique. It could just mean she's a Soprano with a thin high voice. :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

I don't exactly think she's Whitney Houston, just in comparison to Dua, from what I have seen and judged, Dua hasn't quite reached her potential as a vocalist. F4D2086F-343B-47BD-A294-23F257D87376.gif

Glad we can agree on that. 

Not you dragging ha through the mud F4D2086F-343B-47BD-A294-23F257D87376.gif 

• Haha 2
57 minutes ago, cchenbag said:

Also, I’ve been to Beyoncé’s last concert (last face it the girl puts a lot effort) and Everyone was my age and above. I remember watching the Super Bowl with my 16 yo brother and sister and they lost interest and said they didn’t care for the pole dancing and the choreography 

Too bad today's generation is ok to settle with less.. but it's good to have variation..

No shade to anyone but I peeped this thread and just have to say I can't believe we're still playing this game of pitting women against women in 2020.

I don't even see the point in comparison. These two are at completely different points in their careers. 

I feel bad for Dua because as others have said she released a 10/10 album. If Corona had not been a thing this year I think she really would have dominated the scene. 

Kylie is a legend and in a league of her own. She's sadly underrated in the states, but who cares. For me, her last two albums have not done anything special but she's on like KM15 at this point isn't she?

Her accomplishments go beyond what most pop performers hope to achieve. She has been a force to reckon with in the music industry and her Aphrodite tour will forever **** on all of your faves and you all will deal. 

Now go stream Aphrodite and Future Nostalgia for clear skin.:akii_kylie_jenner_makeup_brush_lol_laugh_haha_hehe_lmao::kylie_proud_yes_wow_impressive_amazing:

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, MyahJeanSpears said:

No shade to anyone but I peeped this thread and just have to say I can't believe we're still playing this game of pitting women against women in 2020.

I don't even see the point in comparison. These two are at completely different points in their careers. 

I feel bad for Dua because as others have said she released a 10/10 album. If Corona had not been a thing this year I think she really would have dominated the scene. 

Kylie is a legend and in a league of her own. She's sadly underrated in the states, but who cares. For me, her last two albums have not done anything special but she's on like KM15 at this point isn't she?

Her accomplishments go beyond what most pop performers hope to achieve. She has been a force to reckon with in the music industry and her Aphrodite tour will forever **** on all of your faves and you all will deal. 

Now go stream Aphrodite and Future Nostalgia for clear skin.:akii_kylie_jenner_makeup_brush_lol_laugh_haha_hehe_lmao::kylie_proud_yes_wow_impressive_amazing:

It's not toxic if you are comparing facts. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Neither artists deserve hate. . :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Dua Lipa has potential but let's face it, there are double standards on here when it comes to talking about other female artists which aren't Britney that aren't Dua.  :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

5 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

It's not toxic if you are comparing facts. :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Neither artists deserve hate. . :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

Dua Lipa has potential but let's face it, there are double standards on here when it comes to talking about other female artists which aren't Britney that aren't Dua.  :shameless_blush_blonde_hair_stroke_proud:

To be honest at this point I don't even know what I am doing here anymore. No female (or male, for that matter) artist in the pop scene is really doing it for me anymore. Britney needs to come back and save the industry.

The excitement just isn't there anymore, imo. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block