Dua Lipa is a boring version of Kylie Minogue (opinion)

5 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

But u really cant compare them both. Kylie was the disco queen of the 00s, and Dua will become the disco queen of the 2020s :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand:

Kylie has been around since the 80’s though...

Anyway, I feel that Kylie helped bring dance back into pop music in the 2000’s. She def kept the disco thing going in the early 80’s. 

To the OP- I feel that Dua is exceptional to most. She can actually sing, she dances ok, her music has been pretty good, she’s into her craft and caters to her fan base. Her stage presence could be better but i think that will come with time.

I have to ask which one of your favs is doing the minimal and not getting recognition because this post sounds a bit bitter. Its not a good look during the holidays :gloss_mirror_young_little_girl_smile_child_makeup_lipstick_lipgloss_lips_pink:

• Love 2
  • Haha 2
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

Kylie has been around since the 80’s though...

Anyway, I feel that Kylie helped bring dance back into pop music in the 2000’s. She def kept the disco thing going in the early 80’s. 

To the OP- I feel that Dua is exceptional to most. She can actually sing, she dances ok, her music has been pretty good, she’s into her craft and caters to her fan base. Her stage presence could be better but i think that will come with time.

Yeah but I mean let’s be honest, Kylie’s biggest and most internationally relevant albums came out in the 2000s....Light years and Fever, two consecutive extremely successful records which were nu-disco and dance music as well and her influence become more recognized around this time that too, and even paved the way for disco albums like Confessions On A Dancefloor and so. However, if we talk about 80s disco queen I think it would probably go to Madonna since her debut record is pure-dance music and Like A Virgin, True Blue and Who’s that girl? were also dance-pop records   :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

2 hours ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

I have to ask which one of your favs is doing the minimal and not getting recognition because this post sounds a bit bitter. Its not a good look during the holidays :gloss_mirror_young_little_girl_smile_child_makeup_lipstick_lipgloss_lips_pink:

Is this directed to me or....because I wasn’t being bitter at all in my post, I just tried balancing it out since they both are pretty groundbreaking when it comes to the disco and dance genre :wtfdidusay_wth_what_huh_again_who_confused_looking_around: 

11 minutes ago, Alestaos said:

I really liked Future Nostaglia as a body of work its very coherent. As a performer i could take or leave Dua - being honest! But she does make good music

39 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

I disagree 🙏 I think Future Nostalgia is incredible - so much so that people are using it as a Litmus test to compare her to the other iconic pop stars like Kylie. Dua really won :duadance_lipa_new_rules_green_pink_dancing:

2 hours ago, Adriannn said:

What’s the point of comparing them? Kylie is a veteran, Dua is a rising star. Both have distinctive voice, yet one is thin and the other one raspy. Both need way more acknowledgment in the US.

While you try to disregard Dua, she is happily singing ‘Electricity’ with Kylie. 

I didn't say Future Nostalgia was bad tbh, it's a good cohesive body of work but idk... it's like the music is being sung by a ghost. This Dua girl...she lacks commitment/passion, she has a good tone and she's pretty yes but it's not enough to impress me. It feel like she's jaded or bored all along, it's very weird, while disco is supposed to be optimistic music etc.

I started listening to Kylie's Disco album because Exhalers have praised Kylie for years, I've never listened to her, and the album was critically acclaimed. But I couldn't get past the first song, and this is pretty much the reason for me:

5 hours ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

Kylie’s music is too campy/gay club for me

I don't like her voice, and the music is just not my vibe. It reminds me of like Jessica Simpson's Public Affair (which I'll admit is a bop) or ABBA, where it's just way, way, way too sugary and happy for me. It makes me feel I'm a princess walking through Candy Land (the board game). 

I 100% respect people who like her music and like music like that - it's just not my thing. I like music that makes me feel like a bad bit, hypes me up, or strikes an emotional chord in me, and this kind of music does none of that for me.

Meanwhile, Dua Lipa's Future Nostalgia makes me feel like a bad bit, hypes me up, and just makes me wanna dance. It makes me feel happy, but it's not an artificial over-the-top happy like Kylie's music feels to me.

• Love 3
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

I started listening to Kylie's Disco album because Exhalers have praised Kylie for years, I've never listened to her, and the album was critically acclaimed. But I couldn't get past the first song, and this is pretty much the reason for me:

I don't like her voice, and the music is just not my vibe. It reminds me of like Jessica Simpson's Public Affair (which I'll admit is a bop) or ABBA, where it's just way, way, way too sugary and happy for me. It makes me feel I'm a princess walking through Candy Land (the board game). 

I 100% respect people who like her music and like music like that - it's just not my thing. I like music that makes me feel like a bad bit, hypes me up, or strikes an emotional chord in me, and this kind of music does none of that for me.

Meanwhile, Dua Lipa's Future Nostalgia makes me feel like a bad bit, hypes me up, and just makes me wanna dance. It makes me feel happy, but it's not an artificial over-the-top happy like Kylie's music feels to me.

My thoughts exactly :well_cookie_monster_point_blue_black:

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block