This Day in Pop: '...Baby One More Time' album is certified Diamond in 1999 (December 09)

diamondonemoretime.jpg.91ec6cf0d2bf1c1b3d9fde95355ba74a.jpg01.jpg

On December 09, 1999, ...Baby One More Time was certified 10x Diamond by the RIAA for sales of 10 million copies in the United States alone, less than a year after its release. This made Britney Spears the youngest act to receive such certification, breaking Alanis Morissette's record (she was 21 when she Jagged Little Pill (1995) went Diamond). ...Baby One More Time was the second best selling record of that year, only behind Backstreet Boys' Millennium, but she was the best selling female artist, above the likes of Shania Twain, Dixie Chicks, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion and TLC.

By December of 2000, it had already been certified 13x Multi-Platinum and its last certification, 14x Multi-Platinum (or 14x Diamond) would be in July 2004. In January 2005, her second studio album, Oops!... I Did It Again (2000), was also certified Diamond for 10 million copies.

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Wait!....Didnt BOMT sell 8.3 million copies by the end of 1999 in the US? So how come did it reach diamond certification :wtfdidusay_wth_what_huh_again_who_confused_looking_around:

:idkney_britney_glory_carpool_karaoke_unsure_idk_nervous:

This what the RIAA website shows:

bomtd.png

There's also this RIAA article from December 1999 that talks about the year-end sales, and it also mentions BOMT selling 10 million copies.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120406112234/https://www.riaa.com/newsitem.php?content_selector=newsandviews&news_month_filter=12&news_year_filter=1999&id=C29FB2E9-763C-3D37-9153-6E3E41FA6DD1&searchterms=britney diamond&terminclude=&termexact=

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Nvm i found out, 2 million more sales were from music clubs but thx :) 

• Love 1
  • Like 1