Matches (DISCUSSION THREAD)

RedBloodedWoman

I like it. This would've been a hit if promoted right. Music video, promo, performance.... not just for us die hard fans but also for the GP. It's pure nostalgia power (even tho I hate putting the label nostalgia on Britney) 

But now I cant really enjoy it because I dont even know if Britney knows about the release or not.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Connor Walsh said:

The song doesn't sound overproduced like SITS. The song is simple but it works. It sounds more current, it's catchy. I just don't know why there's a glitch at 2:17 in the HQ version that wasn't in the LQ version I heard.

Do we know who the producers are?

Matches sounds...crisp. 

Almost as if it has a recognizable sound, but I can't put my finger on who it is.

It’s a bop, but Britney feels like she’s barely on the song with only one verse plus the chorus. I don’t care for the BSB feature.

I think both Matches and SITS are good songs for being the first new Britney song in 4 years, being unreleased material from Glory, and just from being re-release bonus tracks that Britney probably didn’t care about or support. No way are they what I would hope for for the next lead single or to start a new era with. They’re good for what they are, and it’s good to have some Britney, either way. Her freedom is most important now, but man, am I glad to get some new Britney music after this dumpster fire of a year.

The ending production of the song reminds me a lot of blackbear’s anxiety (2:47 timestamp):

10 hours ago, MyahJeanSpears said:

Its as lame as I expected.

Meh on Britney standards. Seems like it would be a filler on Femme Fatale or something. I'll take it over Gasoline tho :tiffeyeroll_miss_ny_new_york_ms_annoyed_eyes_roll_eyeroll_irritated:

All that being said still better than 90% of what is on the Hot 100 today. :girlbye_walking_away_leave_get_out_leaving_chair_okay:

Was Will.I.Am a producer on the track? I feel like the glitch was a reference to his iconic Alien fack-up. 

haha I completely agree with this post... I feel like SWTS is 100000000x better.

After SITS I was really worried cause she is autotuned to death on it, but I'm loving this. It's cute, fun and catchy but I can see why it wasnt on glory (just wouldnt have fit the sound of the album). Hopefully this is added to streaming apps soon so I can add it to my playlists.

I don't get how anyone can LOVE this song, it's basic af. Britney's vocal is one dimensional and overproduced. At least the overproduction in SITS makes her sound ethereal and fits the vibe of the song, whereas her vocal on this song uses excessive vocoder for no reason. The BSB sound better on it than Britney does. The chorus is lazy, repetitive, has no actual melody and the production on it fails to make up for how lazy it is. The verses and prechorus are solid, and then the chorus hits and I'm just left scratching my head. For a BSB level collab, thats the best hook they could come up with? Disappointing.

On a positive note, it's catchy enough that with enough listens I can get into it slightly, but it's far from being a great song.

Mixed responses then.

I’m holding off listening to leaks so can listen to tan official HQ stream. Hope that comes on Friday as rumoured (and as it’s my birthday :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink:).

So what y’al are telling me is... don’t go in with high expectations? Ha.

I heard a brief vinyl IG story of it and it was giving me slight ‘I Feel So Free With You’ vibes. But obviously never gave it a proper listen. 

13 minutes ago, Jamiea1112 said:

Mixed responses then.

I’m holding off listening to leaks so can listen to tan official HQ stream. Hope that comes on Friday as rumoured (and as it’s my birthday :gagasmile_smirk_lady_pink:).

So what y’al are telling me is... don’t go in with high expectations? Ha.

I heard a brief vinyl IG story of it and it was giving me slight ‘I Feel So Free With You’ vibes. But obviously never gave it a proper listen. 

no it's better than "feel so free with you", but also it's not a big banger like bomt, oops, toxic, slave, work b, ect... 

imo it would have fit perfectly on glory, it's a very good song, the feature is not annoying, it's a cute catchy song, very sensual and poppy at the same time. But the chorus is very repetitive kinda like gimme more and get naked. She repeats two words a lot.

I honestly really liked it and it's a shame it's not out yet !

Archived