This Day in Pop: Britney Spears releases 'Born to Make You Happy' in 1999 (December 06)

Love this song so much!  And love this look!

giphy.gif

I always wonder how it would have done here in the US.  It does feel like it has a bit of a Europop vibe to me, but I wonder if she shouldn't have released the acoustic mix with alternate vocals that may have fit better on American radio.

I also think, if we had to go with a different US single, I Will Be There would have been the better choice.  Seems like it could have been huge on the radio!  I do love From the Bottom of My Broken Heart, but I think its release was more about demonstrating her vocal chops (which have always been unfairly scrutinized by the media) than picking the best radio single.

• Love 1
  • Like 2
  • Super Mods

What an iconic video!

This is my all time fave song of hers!
I wish it would've been a single in the US cause it would have been a big hit.

(Probably more than FTBOMBH)

And also its kinda nice to hear her sing I was born to make you happy cause in a way its true:

she was born to make us happy

• Love 1
  • Like 2
18 hours ago, Theonetheonly said:

Wasn’t she originally pregnant in the music video - but they changed it? 

18 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

that's what the rumor says :mhm_britney_nodding_yes_mhmm:

I've never heard this rumor and it doesn't even make sense given her image at the time but if that was really the original concept, so be it.

• Like 1
On 12/6/2020 at 6:25 AM, Theonetheonly said:

Wasn’t she originally pregnant in the music video - but they changed it? 

Didnt Billie Woodruff deny these rumours more than once in the past tho?

On 12/6/2020 at 11:07 PM, PokemonSpears said:

I think it comes from how suspiciously big her belly looks at the beginning

XRAY_VIDEO_BTMYH_00011.jpg

I have never once thought her belly looked suspiciously big in that shot.

20 hours ago, Bundy said:

Didnt Billie Woodruff deny these rumours more than once in the past tho?

I'm going to look into this because this seems to be what's probable. In no way does that plot even seem possible given her image at the time. She even changed the content of the song when she was recording it. Why would they go with a teen pregnancy video plot?

9 minutes ago, ZoneGirl said:

I'm going to look into this because this seems to be what's probable. In no way does that plot even seem possible given her image at the time. She even changed the content of the song when she was recording it. Why would they go with a teen pregnancy video plot?

I just looked into and I was only able to find a topic in portuguese talking about this. 3 years ago he did a post on Instagram praising her and on the comments he denied those rumours. It seems like his instagram has been deleted since then.

This rumour never made sense in my head too. She was only 17 and still had a pretty clean image with many kids fans, so why would they go there? 

9 minutes ago, ZoneGirl said:

Something I've thought, which seems too farfetched, but, couldn't it be that she was supposed to be playing her own mom? Like, the one Britney we see sleeping in the beginning and the end is actually her mom, pregnant with her, you know, just for the sake of "being born"? That sleeping Britney has a different outfit and hairdo that we don't see the rest of the video. But whatever was the case, there aren't many reasons why they would make her belly look like that and not edit it out. It literally looks like they stuffed one of the pillows underneath her shirt.