How an underground Dance Trend in The UK led to the debut Single by Steps.

Spicechinodiva

In 1997, Jive Records released the Debut Single by Steps internationally titled 5,6,7,8..

In, 1997 They were assembled ironically the same way the biggest British invasion at the Time The SPICE girls was conquering the globe with "Spice Mania" as the media Dubbed it that as no other British act had that huge metoric rise since The Beatles did in the early 60s with Beatlemania. 

The Brainchild of Pete waterman (Kylie Minogue 80s and early 90s music), Jason Donavon and others.

Lee, H, Claire, Lisa and Faye were about to unleash an impressive UK Chart Record. And be part of the UK Teen pop market, they would even cover Kylie's Better the devil you know which is mixed the ones who grew up with the original says it sucks compared to the original, while the gays who embraced Kylie with light years says Steps is the superior version.

The group would be in some ways as Pete put it more successful than Kylie and others particularly in the UK. 

He did note I never had a huge drop, and I had major label support this time around than financing everything myself. 

Despite peaking at #14. 5,6,7,8 is their most successful streamed track in the UK with over 3 Million streams and is the most successful pete waterman track in the streaming era. 

It actually helped this track became the third top selling Steps track, putting a top ten track Better best forgotten into 4th place. 

The track went #1 in Australia and introduced steps mix of Camp and dance steps and remixes in the CD Singles. 

The US division of Jive tried to market Steps, even with the promo tag in their press kits.

"if the Spice girls are yesterday's flavor of British pop in the US, Tomorrow may belong to Steps"

To even open for Britney Spears in the US, they were shut out completely despite actually achieving as with most European pop acts, A Cult fan base among the lgbt community. 

It's Time to begin now count it in 5,6,7,8

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived