This Day in Pop: Britney Spears releases 'Circus' single in 2008 (December 02)

circusingle.jpg.791b8ff74f66182a466f4f30038735f8.jpgcircusss.jpg

On December 02, 2008, the day of her 27th birthday, Britney Spears released Circus, the second single off her sixth studio album of the same name. The electropop song was written and produced by Dr. Luke, with collaboration of Claude Kelly, Benjamin Levin and Benny Blanco. Lyrically it talks about Britney's life and career as entertainer and her relationship with the media and the public that observes her, comparing her to a circus performer.

In an interview for Hit Quarters, Claude Kelly commented about how Circus came about:

" When I went in with Luke we knew we were going to maybe write something for her, but there was no concept, it was just knowing her style and knowing what she does.

Once Luke and I were in the studio, he played me the music he was working on for her, and we then based the song on what her life was like at the time and how people viewed her. It was a cool way to get people dancing and having fun, but also to have a slight message underneath of it all. "

Britney herself revealed to have been inspired by this song to set the concept of the album and her tour around it, it "put the whole album together as far as what I wanted my show to be like. You can play with a circus in so many different ways".

The song peaked at #3 on the BBH100, but it reached #1 on the Pop Songs and Digital Songs charts, as well the Canadian chart. It was Top 10 in several countries where it charted.

The song was performed the same day it was sent to radio on Good Morning America. It was also the release date of Circus, the album in the United States.

It was the opening song of her 2009 tour The Circus Starring: Britney Spears

And in 2013 it was added to the setlist of her Vegas residency Britney: Piece of Me, where it stayed till the end of the show, including the Asian Tour in 2017 and the Piece of Me Tour in 2018.

The music video, directed by Francis Lawrence was released on December 04.

giphy.gif

• Love 7
  • 11 months later...

Being such a local hit sold 5.1M copies pure only behind mega **** Single ladies :bow_bowing_orange:

Nonetheless, not everyone gets their circus era after 10 years into their career this era was huge for Britney commercially and the last time she was global with her sales! I love this song and album. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
On 12/2/2020 at 2:15 AM, PokemonSpears said:

giphy.gif

Paris Hilton Thats Hot GIF

I appreciate the song more and more as time pass, back then I was obsessed with Womanizer and then b-sides from the album so I didn't pay attention to the song, but now I hear it and it's SO GOOD :bparty_piece_of_me_pom_britney_clubbing_blackout_2007_dancing_dance: like perfect and the instrumental is magical too

• Like 1