Sam Smith "Love Goes" - What happened?

allthat88

It just popped in my head that we hadn't heard anything from Sam after the album came out so I looked at the numbers are kind of shocking. 

I know numbers and charts don't fully matter but still it's a pretty big drop off from their past works.

Love Goes debuted at #5 with 41,000 units (18,000 of pure sales) :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

Their debut album debuted at #2 selling 166,000 in 2014.

The Thrill of it All debuted at #1 selling 237,000 (185,000 in pure sales) in 2017.

I mean that is a pretty big drop.  Why do you think this happened?  Are people not down with dancing Sam?   Do people just want the sad songs??   Thoughts?sam-flop.jpg.4c118af132a3af099772c380110c2510.jpg

Related:

• Love 1

The album feels bland in my opinion. I was excited because I loved 'Dancing with a Stranger', 'To Die For', and I was OBSESSED with 'How Do You Sleep'. The song with Demi had a great verse, too bad it just led to a Disney-esque chorus (nothing against Disney songs, but c'mon). I've tried to give 'Diamonds' a chance, and it's slowly growing. But the album is just not what I expected.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

I honestly think people (including me) were expecing more up-tempo dance songs in the vein of Promises, Dancing with a Stranger, How Do You Sleep? and I Feel Love. 

Instead, they gave us a lot of mid-tempos / ballads and the few “dance” ones were not as dancy as the others. :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

A huge letdown when listening to the record. :katyclown_makeup_mess_pie_meme_smile:

• Like 2

The roll-out was awful.They had momentum with How Do You Sleep and Dancing With a Stranger and that would have been the perfect time to release the album. Then the anticipation fizzled out, a few other songs came out and they weren’t charting as well. Then he announced ‘To Die For’ ... then that was cancelled... all interest was lost after that. 

The album was renamed and two new lead singles were released and I don’t recall any promo for those or hearing them on the radio.. then album dropped and nobody knew LOL

• Love 2
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, allthat88 said:

It just popped in my head that we hadn't heard anything from Sam after the album came out so I looked at the numbers are kind of shocking. 

I know numbers and charts don't fully matter but still it's a pretty big drop off from their past works.

Love Goes debuted at #5 with 41,000 units (18,000 of pure sales) :jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

Their debut album debuted at #2 selling 166,000 in 2014.

The Thrill of it All debuted at #1 selling 237,000 (185,000 in pure sales) in 2017.

I mean that is a pretty big drop.  Why do you think this happened?  Are people not down with dancing Sam?   Do people just want the sad songs??   Thoughts?sam-flop.jpg.4c118af132a3af099772c380110c2510.jpg

Related:

It’s because “they’re” annoying AF. Personality is terribly unlikable. 
Music has been not catchy and trash lately. 
Album is bad. “They’ve” really fallen off.

I think the peak for them was back in the early 2010’s. 

• Love 4
  • Like 3
20 minutes ago, Dexwhitespears said:

I really want to come onboard with the gender identification thing, i really do, but every time I read there, them, they with his name something ticks off in my brain. I wish i can get over this though :schoolingtime_talking_telling_glasses_preaching:

So, we could all agree that Sam Smith is annoying and has lost fans because of it.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

I LOVE sam's new album. I do think there were some choices that could've helped the album perform better on the charts, such as I wish he made this album a fully conceptualized dance era - which i what i expected the delayed and then scrapped "To Die For" album was.  I would have loved to have more songs like HDYS and Promises. He should have gone full pop, then hit us with a soul album in 2021/2.

But anything from Sam is a gift. :wink_britney_everytime_white:

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block