This Day in Pop: Britney Spears releases 'Piece of Me' single in 2007 (November 27)

I remember the first time I heard this. I thought it sounded like a pinball machine (but in a good way). I love everything about this song, it’s like a big “FU” to the media and some of the public. I also love how she wasn’t afraid to poke fun of herself. I would love for her to make a part 2 or a song like this for B10, once she’s free! :cutesybritney_tongue_britney_p_lick:

• Love 2
  • Like 1
  • 11 months later...
On 11/27/2020 at 10:02 AM, PokemonSpears said:

never was one of my favorite songs :4music_britney_2013_uk_annoyed_irritated_mad: I only got to like it after the Circus performance, then it was like :ipass_britney_xfactor_no_words: then again after 4 years in Vegas was like, ok I kinda like it, but it just bores me too easily

Also, in terms of performance, I think it doesn't allow to create anything with it, like, it always has to be performed the way it is, and any other arrangement would ruin it, but that also gets tiring.

But I know you must love it for the shoutout to your country lol

It was literally my most played track last year on spotify I love it sfm lmao

I used to brush my teeth to it every night as a 13 year old lool

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

For some god forsaken reason, I did not have internet access at home when this became a single. I literally just managed to catch the video by chance on one of those morning countdown VH1 shows one day. I was so shook!

I had seen the Gimme More video & VMA performance prior, and to be honest my little middle school self didn't understand the big hoopla about those supposedly being so bad. I think I was just so happy to see she was recording again lol.

But when I saw the video for Piece of Me, I was really taken aback about how much more into it she seemed. For a moment there after seeing the video I actually thought she would properly develop a Blackout era. But this song has had a life of its own. From being a standout video, the name of her Vegas residency, and of course, kind of telling her story.

And props to Bloodshy & Avant for having the guts to hand the song to Britney even after the label/A&R not wanting to have her life be so reflected in her music.