Walk This Way / The way You Make me Feel Perfomances

Alex Murr

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always thought Walk This Way was live. She sounds really good at the start when she's singing with Steven Tyler but she sounds a bit out of breath when she's singing with the two boyband members. 

I think the MJ performance vocals are pre-recorded but I've never been 100% sure. There's two videos filmed from the audience that are on YouTube which show that her mic was really low if she was in fact singing live, or that her pre-recorded vocals were really low. On the videos filmed from the audience you can barely hear her in the beginning of the song so they definitely fixed that prior to it airing on the re-run of his special. 

Superbowl performance definitely sounds like it was live. You can hear Britney's vocals sort of go in an out around 50 seconds when she and Steven start singing together, almost like she hesitated. Steven's vocals are definitely live as well, which is most noticeable when he and Mary J sing together and he tries to use her mic for a moment. 

Prerecorded or not, Britney's vocals in her duet with Michael are fantastic. I love how she went low and raspy instead of trying to mimic his tone. When they start to go back and forth and ad lib a bit around the 4 minute mark, it does sound live to me because there are some parts that sound amazing but probably would have been more polished if it were recorded. 

Side note: Britney and MJ should have danced together during that performance. What a missed opportunity. 

Archived