Which Era Was Bigger? Oops!...I Did It Again Era or The 1989 Era

Hello everyone! :wink_britney_everytime_white:

So, it has been 2 decades since we entered the new millenium and 21st century so CONGRATS TO EVERYONE :clap_clapping_britney_xfactor_red_excited_yay_cheer:

So in these 2 decades, we have seen female singers liberate themselves or open gates for upcoming singers. So, who would come up in ones mind if asked which female singer defined the 00s? Britney, obviously but what if you asked someone which female star defined the 2010s? You would get a bundle of answers, but many of them would include Taylor in their list. So today we will be comparing one of the hugest eras of their respective times...OIDIA and 1989 to one and another and see whom wins! Let the race began :werk_britney_bw_black_white_dance_sexy_flirt_my_prerogative:

Oops!...I Did It Again:

You just have to pull up the album cover on ones face, and they would instantly recognize it as Britney Spears Sophomore effort released on May 16 in the turn of a new millennia. Expectations and pressure for whether Britney would end up a one-hit wonder, shattered into tiny pieces when Britney released the title-track of her upcoming album. The song had massive airplay, an iconic choreography, and extremely controversial VMA performance to help make the song the best-selling single of the year, 2000 by a teenager landing on the #1 in over 20 countries and would later become one of Britney's most recognizable and legendary music videos. It was May 16th, the day for Britney's highly anticipated second release and when it came out...it broke RECORDS around the globe. The teen dance-pop album debuted at #1 in the Billboard 200 selling not 450k copies, not 500k copies, not 700k copies and not even 970k copies but 1,319,000 all across America. The album debuted at #2 in the UK Official Charts selling 88k copies alone, and sold 2.5 million copies in its first week internationally! Going #1 in over 20 countries and becoming platinum certified in 30 countries worldwide. the album felt to #2 in its second week selling 612k copies..but held the #2 position for 15 weeks! If it werent for Eminem releasing his "Marshall LP", OIDIA would have been #1 for 15 weeks, making it the longest female album at #1. Britney would then release 2 more huge top 3 international hits off the era, "Lucky" and "Stronger", which have become nostalgic songs for the millennials. The album has sold 10.2 million copies in the US alone, making it her second diamond record and has sold 26 million copies globally. Oops...I Did It Again was the best-selling female album of the year 2000, the 7th Best-selling album of the 00s, and the third highest selling female album of this century. Britney was also the most searched celebrity during this era and achieved a Guinness record for best-selling teenage artist of all time.

Britney Spears - Oops!... I Did It Again.png

1989:

It was January 1st of the new year 2014...but nobody was ready for what would happen in the next 8 months, as we were going to witness one of the most successful genre-crossovers of all time. Taylor Swift would release the first singer of her still anonymous record on August of 2014, and it instantly become a GLOBAL hit!, going #1 in 15 countries and cross over 2.9 billion views in YouTube, becoming one of the most viewed music videos of all time. After the immense success Shake It Off received despite its mixed reviews, it was the perfect time in August of 2014 to release her fifth studio album, 1989 into the stores. Lets just say, this album and era launched Taylor from a well-known country-pop act into one of pops biggest forces! The album debuted at #1 selling 1.217 million copies in America (1.613 million globally) and held the position for 11 consecutive weeks, going #1 and platinum in 12 countries. Taylor would later release 4 more huge singles off the era which just added more fire to this era. Finally, the album controversially won a 2015 Grammy for Album Of The Year.

The cover is a polaroid of Swift with shoulder-length blonde hair wearing red lipstick and a long-sleeved sweater with a picture of birds in the sky. Her face is cut off by the frame above the nose and "T. S." and "1989" are written on the white polaroid frame with black marker.

Oooo, too hard to compare right? They were such huge eras, right? lets look at the direct charts and comparisons:

Oops...I Did It Again First Week Sales- 1.319 million copies

1989 First Week Sales- 1.217 million copies

Oops...I Did It Again First Year Sales- 17 million copies sold globally by the end of 2000

1989 First Year Sales- 4 million copies sold globally by the end of 2000

Overall, OIDIA Sales- 26,000,000 sales

1989  Sales- 12,340,000 sales

OIDIA's Most Controversial Moment- VMA 2000 Performance

1989S Most Controversial Moment- 1989 winning Album of The Year over To Pimp A Butterfly

OIDIA's Biggest Hit- Oops!...I Did It Again (#1 in 20+ countries)

1989's Biggest Hit- Shake It Off (#1 in 15 Countries)

OIDIA's Biggest Achievement- 3rd Best-Selling Female Album Of The Century 

1989's Biggest Achievement- Highest Grossing Tour of 2015

Their both so neck to neck, right? what do you guys think? which era was more bigger? lemme know :sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing:

oops-1989.jpg.16f5a570a3186c776cc9298727c413b5.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Teenage Dream would win but LETS NOT DWELL INTO THAT CONVERSATION AND DERAIL THIS THREAD :orangu_orangutan_ape:

Please that wannabe wishes that era was bigger than Oops. If you’re just taking into consideration her number one hits then you’re setting up Clowny for failure. If you weren’t born during the Oops era you have nothing to stand on comparing it to anything :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink: you could’ve just left it at 1989 before writing such a blatant lie :heresthetea_reading_telling_glasses_talking_preaching_facts_paper_wendy_williams:

• Haha 5
1 minute ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Please that wannabe wishes that era was bigger than Oops. If you’re just taking into consideration her number one hits then you’re setting up Clowny for failure. If you weren’t born during the Oops era you have nothing to stand on comparing it to anything :queenflopga_walk_sass_pink: you could’ve just left it at 1989 before writing such a blatant lie :heresthetea_reading_telling_glasses_talking_preaching_facts_paper_wendy_williams:

Wait, no. I never compared Teenage Dream to the OIDIA era, OIDIA was an event, it was a phenomenon, i was saying that TD was bigger than the 1989 era not OIDIA era, you misread what i was saying   

• Haha 3

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block