This Day in Pop: Britney Spears releases Slumber Party ft. Tinashe in 2016 (November 16)

slumber.jpg.e6a163a5dda3d3aa0499501b1e506139.jpg  02.jpg

On November 16, 2016, Britney Spears "released" Slumber Party featuring Tinashe as the second single off her ninth studio album Glory.

The song wasn't actually released as an individual single, instead they just replaced the original Slumber Party track (sans Tinashe) on all the digital platforms with the new version. We did eventually get a Remix EP in December though, but strangely, it didn't include the standard track, only the remixes. 

normal_00.jpg

It was written by Mattias Larsson, Robin Fredriksson, Julia Michaels and Justin Tranter, and produced by Mattman & Robin. The reggae and R&B influenced song talks about slumber parties and teenage games such as "seven minutes in heaven" as double entendre of much more adult topics :pieceofwhat_britney_awkward: It was sent to radio on November 22.  The song peaked at #86 on the Billboard Hot 100, however it went #1 on the US Dance Club Songs chart and #27 on the Mainstream Top 40.

It was in October of that year when Tinashe hinted to be recording vocals for a "legendary collaboration" on her social media. A few days later, it was confirmed through Britney Spears' account, that they were already filming the music video for Slumber Party, with the quote "Neighbors say we're causing a commotion..."

01.jpg

The music video was released on November 18, so come back in two days for the celebration of that :P

The first live performance of the song, was actually the same day it came out, on November 16. Britney Spears added Slumber Party to her Piece of Me show in Las Vegas.

Tinashe performed the song with Britney for the first time at the KISS-FM Jingle Ball on December 2nd

Then it was performed again at the Triple Ho and B96 Jingle Bash festivals.

Tinashe later joined Britney at her Piece of Me show in Vegas on January 25, 2017.

The song was also performed at the 2017 Britney: Live in Concert Asian Tour and the Piece of Me Tour in 2018, though it was removed from the setlist for the final dates on the latter.

• Love 9