Opinion: 'Swimming in the Stars' release is disgusting.

Message added by Jordan Miller,

Please keep the comments respectful.

1 minute ago, CripplerCrossface said:

And RCA pay Jamie the royalties :oprah_well_there_you_have_it_proof_see_hand: How do you think record labels works?

They have already been paid the upfront cost + back-end. Royalties off of a song that no one will buy isn't an incentive to release a song, they aren't expecting much royalties. This is only being released because UO paid for it upfront and they are the ones releasing it.

The only ones making money here is UO, that is all.

• Love 1
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, A.a.A said:

Except that is wrong. 

It does not create a market to make more deals. The deals have been made, years ago. UO does not pay her label, they pay the RCA team that owns the distribution rights (not her team). Her team gets paid by the shareholders (the people funding RCA). The shareholders don’t make money off of one artist, but many. So you buying this single does not in any way influence or contribute to team Britney Spears.

Is that clear now? You thinking there is a direct correlation between us and her team getting money doesn’t mean there is one. 

How does it not? They would stop releasing these vinyls if fans stopped buying them. You have no proof when the deal to release this vinyl was arranged or if she was even obligated to release new exclusive songs for them. This release could easily have been orchestrated this year. We don't know so let's error on the side of giving them less money. I never said directly. I was particular when I said supporting this release does give her team money directly/indirectly

Lets not support the Britney brand since Britney herself doesn't. Seems pretty obvious to me. 

• Love 3
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, PrettyGorl said:

How does it not? They would stop releasing these vinyls if fans stopped buying them. You have no proof when the deal to release this vinyl was arranged or if she was even obligated to release new exclusive songs for them. This release could easily have been orchestrated this year. We don't know so let's error on the side of giving them less money. I never said directly. I was particular when I said supporting this release does give her team money directly/indirectly

Lets not support the Britney brand since Britney herself doesn't. Seems pretty obvious to me. 

Listen, I fully understand what you’re saying. But i know for a fact these deals are planned out years in advance. That’s why all these ideas of them distracting us is silly. This is a business and how business works is that the money is not going to them directly or indirectly it is shuffled around boards and members. Britney’s team will always get paid, as their biggest asset is Britney Spears.

I am trying to say the deals have been done/will continue to be done regardless if we buy it or not. Because she’s a global brand, I can assure you they 100% do not care what we do. Business will go on as usual.

I do understand that you are coming from a place of support though and i appreciate that for Britney.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, A.a.A said:

Listen, I fully understand what you’re saying. But i know for a fact these deals are planned out years in advance. That’s why all these ideas of them distracting us is silly. This is a business and how business works is that the money is not going to them directly or indirectly it is shuffled around boards and members. Britney’s team will always get paid, as their biggest asset is Britney Spears.

I am trying to say the deals have been done/will continue to be done regardless if we buy it or not. Because she’s a global brand, I can assure you they 100% do not care what we do. Business will go on as usual.

I do understand that you are coming from a place of support though and i appreciate that for Britney.

Okay I appreciate you trying to find common ground. I acknowledge We do have some, but to make absolute statements like “they 100% do not care what we do. Business will go on” is inaccurate.

They absolutely care what we do. They all want us to buy to increase the value of the brand and give them more power. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, PrettyGorl said:

Okay I appreciate you trying to find common ground. I acknowledge We do have some, but to make absolute statements like “they 100% do not care what we do. Business will go on” is inaccurate.

They absolutely care what we do. They all want us to buy to increase the value of the brand and give them more power. 

This. If we continue to support her brand when she’s actively refusing it- what message does that send to her money hungry team?

I will support a free Queen with control in her career.

• Love 1
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, PrettyGorl said:

Okay maybe not 100 :jj_janet_smirk_hehe_haha_lmao_lol_giggle:

But I agree. There is power in the brand and they have full control and manipulation over that.

Wow this is the first conversation I’ve read online ever that has gone full circle to end in an understanding.

Congratulations to us! 

2 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

It doesn’t work like that. By listening to it you’re still contributing to whatever the hell you’re boycotting. Illegally download or paid, it’s all the same. You’re free to do what you want, but don’t shoot other people down for buying it either if you’re going to listen to it. You’re either all in or all out. There’s no middle ground 

:tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw:

1 hour ago, PickleSpears said:

I don't understand why some people on here can't accept that people think and feel differently and choose to act on those thoughts and feelings differently. Do whatever you want with your money but don't condemn others for how they spend or don't spend theirs. Just don't support it if you don't want to and support it if you want to. You're not right just because you think you're right and everyone isn't wrong because you disagree. It's just a choice you make for yourself.

:tiffdrink_miss_ms_ny_new_york_drinking_sips_sipping_tea_straw:

Not people relying on Britney said she won't work - she didn't work recently for this.

This is done, this is no 'new' work, she's not going to be out doing interviews, filming a music video, performing etc.

This is probably a contractual obligation of RCA's and they probably own the rights to the song and are able to release. Streaming barely makes an artist much money, this is not a full album campaign and is NOT being promoted to the high heavens.

You guys get off your high horse, you're the same people who praise how many streams toxic got recently, the same people who will STILL listen to the song anyway.

If people want to buy/stream let them, it is their decision.

Britney was evidently SO happy when Glory and Mood Ring did really well and even went to the effort of requesting a new cover etc. Britney appears to LOVE glory and this could be another thank you.

If you do not agree with what i've said that is completely fair enough, just don't be hypocrites about it when you praise songs doing well and celebrated mood ring going to number one. 

Just to re-iterate it is probably a contractual obligation, not much money will be made from streams and Britney did not work recently for this and there will be no promotion. This could potentially just be a thank you to fans, who knows? We'll see one day, but not supporting Britney only makes her suffer. Plus with Bessemer involved with the finances of course they are going to ensure there is no longer any dodgy business.

Stop attacking each other, if you disagree that's fine just be more respectful. 

• Love 6
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, THE BAJAN VIBE said:

It's exciting to listen something new by Britney, of course. And I got all the hype from the snipped but I'm not going to support it. The whole release and timing is disgusting and I'm not going to buy it.

#FREEBRITNEY and then, I'll give my money and streams to the brand again. 

C52CA173-6AA2-43D1-A963-859251DCE726.jpeg

OMG preach sis! :mcry_mariah_carey_proud_beaming:

4 years ago I was downvoted to oblivion (hence my reputation) when I said we should stop supporting Britney Inc. and that B is being drugged and forced to work. It's nice to see fans waking up.

• Love 6
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Not people relying on Britney said she won't work - she didn't work recently for this.

This is done, this is no 'new' work, she's not going to be out doing interviews, filming a music video, performing etc.

This is probably a contractual obligation of RCA's and they probably own the rights to the song and are able to release. Streaming barely makes an artist much money, this is not a full album campaign and is NOT being promoted to the high heavens.

You guys get off your high horse, you're the same people who praise how many streams toxic got recently, the same people who will STILL listen to the song anyway.

Britney was evidently SO happy when Glory and Mood Ring did really well and even went to the effort of requesting a new cover etc. Britney appears to LOVE glory and this could be another thank you.

If you do not agree with what i've said that is completely fair enough, just don't be hypocrites about it when you praise songs doing well and celebrated mood ring going to number one. 

Just to re-iterate it is probably a contractual obligation, not much money will be made from streams and Britney did not work recently for this and there will be no promotion. This could potentially just be a thank you to fans, who knows? We'll see one day, but not supporting Britney only makes her suffer. Plus with Bessemer involved with the finances of course they are going to ensure there is no longer any dodgy business.

I love you, can we swim in the stars tonight?:kylie_proud_yes_wow_impressive_amazing:

• Love 1

I understand the trepidation of some fans in supporting the release of this single, but I think there is a lot of overreaction too. 

The timing is definitely coincidental as opposed to suspect. Mastering the song files/Creating the album artwork and submitting to UO for them to then design into their own advertisements/orchestrating legal copy etc. did not just happen overnight because of a court hearing. Like, this kind of work is people’s jobs - there is an entire campaign being run here, **** takes time and approvals.

In regards to boycotting the brand, there is a huge difference between Britney’s likeness being slapped onto random merch or Instagram spots - capitalizing on recycling old materials - VERSUS releasing a brand new song (or in the case of Mood Ring, a song that never got a legal release in the US). It’s not like she was forced to record something she didn’t believe in during her continued hiatus, and it’s not unreasonable for RCA (who owns her music and has major input on what songs even make it onto an album or get single treatment) to release songs as they see fit. We should be thankful they’re still making any real efforts to promote her beyond the legacy act. 

Certainly good points are being raised so that we the fans continue having the conversation about what is appropriate support of Britney versus lining the pockets of team Con.
Support the song - or not - however you see fit, but flipping out at people allegedly being hypocrites is so futile. It’s a song from an album of recording sessions she loves, I think it’s okay to get behind it.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Slayer said:

No ones on a high horse (not a very respectful phrase, btw). I'm part of a large part of the fanbase that has been consistent about not streaming her music, buying her products, and publicly supporting the britney brand since day one of free britney.

I said the same for mood ring and the times fans campaigned for glory and stronger.

Britney was not responsible for the cover change this year. Be real. She requested it in 2016, but her team said no. Why would they suddenly listen to her this year? Her team/label changed it.

I couldn't disagree more that not supporting her brand only makes Britney suffer. She's said she doesn't care about the charts. She has plenty of money to live comfortably.

You think she still thinks about glory going number one on iTunes? I don't think so. She's happy bc she finally has hope again for her future, not from a couple hit songs.

• Love 4
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, QZeusLiquorQ said:

The point isn't to cut Britney off from any income

imagine if everybody stopped buying everything from Britney?

she'd suffer the most

Just sayin' :-)

this doesn't seem like a good strategy

It's not about that, it's the fact that her dad hasn't seen her in a YEAR and she refuses to work under him. The judge refused to remove him as the over seer of the c-ship and then her team "randomly" releases a single? It definitely sounds like her dad saying, " Ok, Britney, since you won't work under me I will release one of your older songs to make some money off of you." 

This is why I get boycotting it. It is sickening, however as a fan I know it's conflicting because I want some new Britney music DAMN IT! 

• Love 3
  • Like 1