Never-before-seen clip of Madonna rehearsing THE kiss with Britney and Christina at the 2003 VMAs surfaces

6 minutes ago, MeAgainstTheMusic_ said:

I’m confused though didn’t Britney say they never kissed in rehearsals so what we saw was the first time? 

They kiss though? :calculating_confused_meme_blonde_math_woman_thinking_what:

Britney and Christina said a lot of things after this exploded. :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

Christina once said "none of that open mouth **** was practised at rehearsal" or something to that effect. 

I guess she just meant it wasn't practised with her because it was between the other two, clearly. :chrissy_xtina_head_tilt_purse_sass:

• Haha 5
  • Like 1
49 minutes ago, Geralt_of_Rivia said:

Lmao it was all a marketing strategy from the very beginning. Them justifying themselves that it wasn't planned was just part of that so it added up to the "spontaneous moment" of the kiss. I mean, look at the concept: a wedding ceremony, one groom, two brides. It made sense to add a kiss to it. That's the climax of the performance. 

It has been discussed to death but the idea was originally to have Jennifer Lopez & P!nk kiss Madonna but they quickly declined and denied their involvement :makeup_kylie_jenner_makeup_brush_lol_laugh_haha_hehe_lmao:

"Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez had been at Madonna's the day before for a 'girls' lunch' that included Caresse Henry, Madge's manager." (August 19, 2003)
"US TV programs, Entertainment Today and Access Hollywood are reporting a rumour that Madonna, Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez will take to the stage on the 2003 MTV VMA's with a performance of Like A Virgin." (August 21, 2003)

"Madonna's 45th birthday party at her Beverly Hills mansion last weekend saw final discussions taking place about the performance the Material Girl would give at the MTV Video Music Awards with Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez. "It was a fun event but there was still time for some business," a source close to Madonna tells the Evening Standard. "Madonna, Jennifer and Britney talked about the performance and how it would work." The three tried to keep the plans secret, but news leaked after rehearsals began earlier this week." (August 22, 2003)

Jennifer denied having involvement in the rumored performance on Access Hollywood. (August 27, 2003)
"The New York Post quizzed Jennifer Lopez's rep about why the singer backed out of the MTV Video Music Awards, and whether the chance to kiss Madonna had anything to do with leaving the duties instead to Christina Aguilera. "She wanted to do the VMAs really badly but couldn't fit the rehearsals into her reshoot schedule," the rep said, referring to 'Shall We Dance', which she was shooting in Winnipeg." (August 30, 2003)
"The magazine also added that Jennifer Lopez was asked to perform in Madonna and Britney's kiss off, but Jennifer blocked the idea because she didn't want to wear a wedding dress so close to her actual wedding date with Ben Affleck, opening the door for backup Christina Aguilera." (September 2, 2003)

"Us Weekly has details on why Jennifer Lopez backed out the the opportunity of performing with Britney Spears and Madonna at the MTV Video Music Awards last week, after having a meeting with the pair on August 16th. An insider said, "Jennifer didn't want to be in a goofy wedding dress two weeks before her wedding." The other reason? J.Lo "didn't like the concept. Jennifer Lopez is no longer a backup dancer!" (September 6, 2003)

A president for MTV confirmed Britney wasn't originally part of the performance, saying "It was a long road to get to that Britney and Christina kiss, because they weren't necessarily the first couple of people who were on the hit list. This may be the first time it's revealed, but originally J. Lo was in the mix. That didn't happen. And the thing about Britney and Christina was they had history, so it was not easy to get them together on the stage." (September 10, 2012)

Stevie Nicks commented on the performance and also confirmed Jennifer was originally part of it.
"Nicks revealed Madonna asked Jennifer Lopez to be in the smoochy routine, but J.Lo told Madge to kiss something else." (September 19, 2003)

Pink, Faith Hill and Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks were also considered for the performance.
"Pink, Faith Hill and Natalie Maines all missed out on the chance to share an onstage kiss with Madonna, Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera at the MTV Video Music Awards. Outspoken singer Pink and country beauties Hill and Maines were considered for the chance to join the **** trio for their headline-creating antics - but bosses eventually decided to stick with the three. Madonna's representative says, "There was a moment when Pink was gonna be in it. There were conversations about Faith Hill, Natalie Maines." (September 4, 2003)

Pink was asked after Jennifer but could not committ due to wanting to take a vacation. Christina Aguilera was then asked to perform with them.
"As it turns out, Pink was supposed to be there too. "It was originally supposed to be different people involved," Pink told MTV News Europe, "but I didn't even know [what was going to happen during the performance]. The kiss wasn't even talked about." Rumors had been rampant before the Video Music Awards that Madonna would be taking the stage with representatives of the younger pop generation, but talk had centered mostly on Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez. Pink escaped the rumor mill because she backed out before rehearsals began. "I had one vacation all year," Pink explained, "and I was not leaving my vacation to go into a rehearsal studio, which sounds ridiculous, but you know, I just said, 'I can't be at those rehearsals, but I can learn it for that day, and I'm sure that I'll be more than capable of doing it.'" That proposal, however, wasn't acceptable, and Pink was taken out of the running." (September 19, 2003)
"But the rock 'n' rollin' R 'n' B diva pulled out of the famous publicity stunt at last year's MTV Awards to get away from it all. "I wanted to go on vacation." (June 2004)

Christina Aguilera claimed she suggested the kiss to be between her and Britney.
"Actually, I was up for kissing Britney," Aguilera says, "but Britney wasn't." (December 2003)

• Love 5
  • Haha 2
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, PlayboiMommy said:

She also said that she didn't know Madonna was going to kiss her in another interview too :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

That's showbiz for you

Really? Did she say this? I didnt know! Do u remember which interview it was? 

7 minutes ago, PlayboiMommy said:

Jennifer blocked the idea because she didn't want to wear a wedding dress so close to her actual wedding date with Ben Affleck, 

Jennifer didn't want to be in a goofy wedding dress two weeks before her wedding." The other reason? J.Lo "didn't like the concept. Jennifer Lopez is no longer a backup dancer!" (September 6, 2003)

And that turned out great for her, right? Months after the vmas, she wasnt even with Ben anymore. Too bad for her, she could have had one iconic moment in her career tho :checkit_sipping_drinking_spill_tea: anyway, what about that backup dancer comment tho? I know she was always known for being a diva, but did she really think she was too good and big to sing for Madonna? :tifflmao_lol_haha_hehe_miss_new_york_laugh_ms_tiffany_pollard_cackle: Madonna is the biggest female popstar of all time and she was still relevant in 2003 :squintney_britney_confused_huh_what_umm_ok_glory:

But Im glad she turned down bc I loved that it was Christina instead of her :goat_monster_devil_dance_dancing_makeup_brush:

And Lol at Madonna thinking about Dixie Chicks, Faith Hill and idk who else before Britney and Christina? They were the biggest popstars at the time. 

12 minutes ago, Bundy said:

Really? Did she say this? I didnt know! Do u remember which interview it was? 

Looking back she was probably ******* around with the reporter as she did back then :orangu_orangutan_ape:

I don't remember the exact interview but I'm sure it was on the United Kingdom, probably CD:UK

She also talked about it on the ABC special too (timestamped)