Sam Smith is heading for a UK #1 Album.

Spicechinodiva

Even though it's expected to make A US Top Ten debut with 25K, far cry from the 250K that their #1 album in the US, 2017's The Thrill of it all. 

Ariana led the mid week's chart in the UK, But unfortunately she tried to pull a Beyoncé and it didn't work in her honor. 

We knew the album was coming, but she's a traditional artist, and she didn't let a normal buzz and anticipation happened. 

In the UK with close to 100K, Sam Smith will definitely have the #1 album in the UK. 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Groundbreaking said:

'Sam Smith is heading for a UK #1 Album.' → Isn't there a wrong pronoun? Since this entity uses they/them there should be 'Sam Smith ARE heading...', right?

Isnt are used for a group?

"One direction are heading for a #1 debut" <<< something like this

But Sam Smith is a singular noun, so thus, we say "is"

Right? :yesokay_britney_blush_blink:

2 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Isnt are used for a group?

"One direction are heading for a #1 debut" <<< something like this

But Sam Smith is a singular noun, so thus, we say "is"

Right? :yesokay_britney_blush_blink:

EDIT: According to the academic sources they/them can take both versions of verbs. (sg and pl). It depends on the addressee (what they prefer).

That's what is confusing for me. Since Sam identify(s?) as they/them (pronouns in plural), grammatically correct is to use the verb in plural too (are in this case). Anyway, this pronouns thing is messy as hell to me. 

As for One Direction, both versions are correct. 

One Direction are heading... -> each member

One Direction is heading... -> the whole group as one unit

This is possible to do with collective nouns only.

Hopefully, it makes sense.

:sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing::yesokay_britney_blush_blink:

8 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Even though it's expected to make A US Top Ten debut with 25K, far cry from the 250K that their #1 album in the US, 2017's The Thrill of it all. 

Ariana led the mid week's chart in the UK, But unfortunately she tried to pull a Beyoncé and it didn't work in her honor. 

We knew the album was coming, but she's a traditional artist, and she didn't let a normal buzz and anticipation happened. 

In the UK with close to 100K, Sam Smith will definitely have the #1 album in the UK. 

Grammarly – Pennington

• Super Mods
1 hour ago, Groundbreaking said:

EDIT: According to the academic sources they/them can take both versions of verbs. (sg and pl). It depends on the addressee (what they prefer).

That's what is confusing for me. Since Sam identify(s?) as they/them (pronouns in plural), grammatically correct is to use the verb in plural too (are in this case). Anyway, this pronouns thing is messy as hell to me. 

As for One Direction, both versions are correct. 

One Direction are heading... -> each member

One Direction is heading... -> the whole group as one unit

This is possible to do with collective nouns only.

Hopefully, it makes sense.

:sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing::yesokay_britney_blush_blink:

I think he needs to grow up and stop all the attention seeking :orangu_orangutan_ape: the ***** is confusing us about all the grammar rules so miss me with that tbfh :gloriascary_scared_shocked_shook_wow_surprised:

Archived