Miley Cyrus comments on Madonna calling COVID "the great equalizer": "I think that's unfathomably wrong"

• Leader

Miley Cyrus strongly disagrees with Madonna's comment she made in a now-deleted video that COVID is "the great equalizer."

"I don't agree with that," Miley said. 

"I think that we've seen more divide recently than I have in my lifetime. Just because we're really understanding the division between race and wealth and that wealth and health can actually be the same thing. I think that's unfathomably wrong and that's why our election is so important. So no, I don't think COVID has been an equalizer in any way."

I believe Madonna didn't mean it through the lens of wealth or race. I assumed she meant that humans are destroying the planet, and Mother Nature is reacting... but the way Madonna phrased it, calling it an "equalizer," was extremely brash and flippant (and quite frankly, she wanted controversy). 

I think Miley handled this amazingly well. I love her outspokenness. 

Thoughts, Exhale? Do you agree with Miley?

mil-mad.jpg.abe27b83561a10432e54e7243eaa0545.jpg

Related:

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I feel like the virus either divided family/friends or brought them closer depending on their situation.

For me, it definitely divided me from my family because I have different views.

But my other siblings are getting closer to my parents.

I thought Madonna meant the great equalizer as in the virus doesn't pick and choose who to go after, we are all equal when it comes to the virus.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

I don't want to be nit picky but that is NOT what Miley said. Those words ("unfathomably wrong") are not about Madonna's comment but about this:

"Wealth and health can actually be the same thing, and I think that THAT is unfathomably wrong, and that's why our election is so important."

So the title of this thread is confusing (or clickbait). I point this out because Miley IS outspoken and she DOES handle things amazingly well, so it's a bummer to see her expressing herself so eloquently and then getting her words twisted.

And about Madonna's comment on COVID being "the great equalizer", something similar happens: she meant that no matter who you are in the world, you can potentially get it, and that's what made us all suddenly "equal". And that's a good point to make. What is NOT equal is the way countries and individual people can handle the situation, but that was beyond Madonna's comment. Again, people twisting words for the sake of stirring conversations. But in both cases, we have two smart women making ballsy logical public statements. Let's celebrate THAT instead of twisting their words and making them look anything other than caring and politically active human beings. 

• Love 5
  • Like 1

Didn't Madonna make this comment back in like March-May when this was first all going down? That comment didn't seem that inaccurate when it became possible for everyone to get infected and having to take the same precautions to avoid the virus.

It only became obvious as time went on that covid was actually the opposite of a great equalizer, further increasing the divide between race, class, wealth, etc.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Brat said:

I feel like the virus either divided family/friends or brought them closer depending on their situation.

For me, it definitely divided me from my family because I have different views.

But my other siblings are getting closer to my parents.

I thought Madonna meant the great equalizer as in the virus doesn't pick and choose who to go after, we are all equal when it comes to the virus.

Different views on what exactly? If you don't mind me asking..

It's a virus, it exists, it's not a unicorn. lol

4 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

Miley Cyrus strongly disagrees with Madonna's comment she made in a now-deleted video that COVID is "the great equalizer."

"I don't agree with that," Miley said. 

"I think that we've seen more divide recently than I have in my lifetime. Just because we're really understanding the division between race and wealth and that wealth and health can actually be the same thing. I think that's unfathomably wrong and that's why our election is so important. So no, I don't think COVID has been an equalizer in any way."

I believe Madonna didn't mean it through the lens of wealth or race. I assumed she meant that humans are destroying the planet, and Mother Nature is reacting... but the way Madonna phrased it, calling it an "equalizer," was extremely brash and flippant (and quite frankly, she wanted controversy). 

Thoughts, Exhale? Do you agree with Miley?

mil-mad.jpg.abe27b83561a10432e54e7243eaa0545.jpg

Related:

Yes, I agree with Miley and I also think eco-fascism is disgusting if That was What were behind Madonna’s words.

3 hours ago, Newrie said:

Yes, I agree with Miley and I also think eco-fascism is disgusting if That was What were behind Madonna’s words.

Isn't Miley a bigger eco-fascist than Madonna though? She previously said something along the lines of her not wanting to have any kids until "there is fish in the water", which had strong connotations with environmentalism.

It's ironic though because she went back to eating fish recently despite being a vegan for a couple of years. :spit_lmao_spitting_spraying_lol_hehe_haha_laugh_jlaw_jennifer_lawrence:

6 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

I don't want to be nit picky but that is NOT what Miley said. Those words ("unfathomably wrong") are not about Madonna's comment but about this:

"Wealth and health can actually be the same thing, and I think that THAT is unfathomably wrong, and that's why our election is so important."

So the title of this thread is confusing (or clickbait). I point this out because Miley IS outspoken and she DOES handle things amazingly well, so it's a bummer to see her expressing herself so eloquently and then getting her words twisted.

And about Madonna's comment on COVID being "the great equalizer", something similar happens: she meant that no matter who you are in the world, you can potentially get it, and that's what made us all suddenly "equal". And that's a good point to make. What is NOT equal is the way countries and individual people can handle the situation, but that was beyond Madonna's comment. Again, people twisting words for the sake of stirring conversations. But in both cases, we have two smart women making ballsy logical public statements. Let's celebrate THAT instead of twisting their words and making them look anything other than caring and politically active human beings. 

True, Jordan needs to edit it

• Like 1
15 hours ago, DanjaMouse said:

I took it that she meant the virus is a reminder that everybody is only human whether you’re black, white, rich, famous or poor. The virus doesn’t discriminate and therefore we are all equal.

This was my same understanding of Madge's post and at first sight, it was innocuous and sort of deep... Ish? but at the same time, I thought exactly what Miley said.  It equalized nothing because some people could afford the best care and others died jobless and even, homeless. Miley was way smarter and more eloquent than many, many celebs throughout this time. Great equalizer? Nah, it just came to clarify the horizon of the great divide we live in.  Madonna was looking for, I don't know, awakening ppl? through a semi profound statement that was, actually, pretty naive and short sighted, to say the least. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block