This Day in Pop: What's Going On charity single is released in 2001 (October 30)

whatsgoingon.jpg.14f1d2751f14635545cb28afd96bd24a.jpgX9287-01.jpg

On October 30, 2001, a group of artists under the name of Artists Against AIDS Worldwide released a 9 mix CD, which included multiple cover versions of the Marvin Gaye song What's Going On.

The intention behind this album was to benefit the AIDS programs in Africa and other regions, but after the 9/11 attacks, it was decided that half of the proceeds would go to the American Red Cross' fund as well.

The artists that collaborated in this campaign were Christina Aguilera, Backstreet Boys, Mary J. Blige, Bono, Destiny's Child, Jermaine Dupri, Fred Durst, Eve, Perry Farrell, Nelly Furtado, Nona Gaye, Darren Hayes, Ja Rule, Jagged Edge, Alicia Keys, Aaron Lewis, Lil' Kim, Jennifer Lopez, Chris Martin, Pat Monahan, Monica, Nas, Nelly, *NSync, P. Diddy, T Boz and Chili, Britney Spears, Gwen Stefani, Michael Stipe, User and Scott Weiland.

The single, produced by Jermaine Dupri and Bono, peaked at #27 on the BBH100 and it became a Top 10 hit in several other countries. The music video was directed by Jake Scott.

Justin-joined-up-Gwen-Stefani-Fred-Durst

1f74de94dc7b64f6047da9b7167992b3.jpg

0a48e7d3b5806c7eb0bdcd382ca84b60.jpg

gwen-stefani-of-no-doubt-shoots-the-vide

• Love 4

Wooooow so nostalgic! I remember this was a big deal on the AOL home screen lol.  Looking at it today it’s pretentious and obnoxious and sort of hilariously tacky but I’m glad it was for a good cause.  Except “cancel the debt”.  I don’t get that part and it seems a bit tricky.

Britney and Beyoncé were kinda battling it out for top spot there huh!?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

whatsgoingon.jpg.14f1d2751f14635545cb28afd96bd24a.jpg  

Justin-joined-up-Gwen-Stefani-Fred-Durst

Lol at these two together :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

I remember a story from 2003 where they were at the same party and both kept the biggest distance from each other that they could do :cackling_cackle_lol_what_unbelievable_disbelief_glasses_meme:

• 1 year later...

Omg I had this CD! I also had to wait until the era of YouTube to see the official video because in the US they always seemed to show the version with clips of people recording the song in the studio.

Love Brit’s sultry voice alongside Beyoncé’s! Christina also sounds great - I love her adlib on the outro to her part. I also always loved Nelly’s rap.

So iconic. Makes me miss the early naughts. A true millennial fever dream :tysm_beyonce_thanks_wow_gratitude_love_you_ily:

• Like 1

I prefer the version where it's just Britney and Beyonce singing together without the rude and unnecessary interruption from J.Lo.

Also, does anyone from the UK remember Newsround? They interviewed Britney, Beyonce and Bono together during the recording of the song. I watched the interview live at the time and have never seen it again. From memory I think they showed additional footage of Britney in the recording booth. Talk about major rare lost footage!