Selena Gomez says this is the first time she's ever voted

• Leader

Selena Gomez reveals the 2020 election is the first time she's ever voted.

She faced some backlash because she's 28 years old, meaning she could've voted many times over by now, but says she's coming forward with this information because she wants others who may have felt like their vote doesn't matter to know that it does.

Good for her for being vulnerable and sharing this. It's disappointing, but at least she turned things around.

Exhale, thoughts? 

34724122-8869827-image-a-65_160339678917

Spoiler

selena.jpg.7b9a96aa28f56adf3796ff7fb12f7b1b.jpg

• Love 3
  • Content Curators

why is she facing backlash, the whole movement of promoting people to vote is to get people who havent before, to now start voting, shes voting now so good for her! shes been so so busy since she was just a kid and wrapped up in being so famous, she must have not had time to contemplate who to vote for etc etc yes it sounds a little tone deaf but its life ok, shes been through alot and im glad shes voting now 

• Love 9

Why is she facing backlash the whole purpose of the get out and vote movement is to encourage people to do their research come up with their own opinions and voice them by voting. I didn’t vote until I was 25 it’s not that uncommon it wasn’t as widely preached to young people years ago as it is now. Social media ads have had a huge influence to get young people out to vote:martini_telling_talking_preaching_couch:

• Love 5

why is she getting blacklash? I get this election is very important to USA but not voting is also an option that should be respected. If u don’t agree with any of the candidates there’s no reason for u to vote. People should do what they feel like doing instead of following what society tells them.

• Love 6
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Alestaos said:

TBH i may get alot of flack for this but in Ireland i haven't liked any of the options and so i haven't voted. I'm not gonna vote just for the sake of voting i will vote when there's a candidate with the right views and future-sight -  when that happens that's when i will vote.

Choose the better of the 2. So were not stuck w someone like trump

• Love 1

Well, there's always a first time...

The sad thing is that she's definitely not the only one. If she thought/felt that way before, there must be lots of other young people who feel the same way.

And I don't think the act of voting has to do with there being a candidate that you like... We ALL have to vote, whatever the choices are, because voting is the act of getting involved with your community/state/country. No one should turn a blind eye on this because we ALL live in society and we all depend on each other, whether we see it or want to admit it or not. There have been many (most of them, actually) times in which I never liked any of the candidates, but in those cases I decided to vote for the one I disliked the least as a way of sending a message to the other candidate(s). It's a way of, slowly but surely, tilting the scale and having my voice heard.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

I just. I really don't get someone getting backlash for deciding it's time to vote and encouraging others to do so. Better now than never. I feel like it's counterintuitive. 

Honestly I kinda wish the current state of social media would cool it. All it's got now is backlash for everyone. Sometimes I get it, and it makes sense but other times it's like...:slayde_meme_red_glam_neyde_neydeney_britney: calm down.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ElenaB said:

why is she getting blacklash? I get this election is very important to USA but not voting is also an option that should be respected. If u don’t agree with any of the candidates there’s no reason for u to vote. People should do what they feel like doing instead of following what society tells them.

Exactly. Not voting is also a choice/taking a stand. If both candidates suck, why vote? That is making your decision right there.

Everyone wants to tell people who to vote for...

Also, isn't it funny that the only people telling people to go vote are the ones voting for Biden and the Trump voters aren't saying anything. USA politics are so strange.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 5

I'm Canadian. I also didn't vote until I was 27 or 28. and even then, I voted for Green Party, and people told me I threw away my vote. 

I remember when I was young I asked my mom who she voted for and she said that you shouldn't ask people that, that it's personal and private and her and my dad didn't even discuss who they voted for with each other. but lately politics is something people are pressured to be plastered all over their social media etc.... I don't know....I like the idea of encouraging young people to vote but I don't like all the shaming that goes into people choosing not to vote. I've had my fair share lol and all it did was make me want to not vote even more. I've come around since then but then to hear people tell me I 'threw away' my vote for not voting for a major party on the ballot Im like.....ugh.....

• Like 1

I mean, when things get bad, we gotta vote, I honestly voted 1 time in my country when I really wanted a Change, you can't complain without doing anything about it, it's important to be active, I think everyone should vote in this really scary time in America, it's more important than ever, and I really hope you guys can change what's happening in your country because it's worse than ever..... Good luck to you guys. 

5 hours ago, Arickwitana said:

Choose the better of the 2. So were not stuck w someone like trump

Yeah i get that but hardly any if none at all focus on what i think should be focused on like Mental Health, Breaking down the divide between public and private medical sectors, and putting a standard education system across the schools as a hole so everyone gets the same opportunity's or even training/getting experience for my generation (millennial's) to get the jobs there previous generation so easily monopolized on. But hey its Ireland they only care what the 1% thinks

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block