Meghan Trainor covered Britney Spears' "My Only Wish" on her new Christmas album

On 10/26/2020 at 8:40 PM, Spicechinodiva said:

She covered I'll be home for Christmas and retitled it I'll be home. 

Word is Meghan owns the rights now. And all britney versions is slowly being removed. They said lou is a business woman. So even if she loses Power over britney, word is they are buying her master recordings to make sure they still make money somehow. 

I’ll be home? :mhmsureny_hmm_thinking_ponder_unsure_what_Tiffany_pollard_ny_New_York_miss_ms_sure:

4 hours ago, lustwecantcontrol said:

I agree that Meghan’s version isn’t horrible, but certainly lacks the magic of Britney’s! I hope to god though that it doesn’t become a single because it would kill me if the younger generation thought it was actually Meghan’s song! 

then Britney's video will be full of "sHe CoPiEd MeGhAn TrAiNoR" comments, like Tom's Diner has with "she copied Centuries" 

I have a very serious question to ask you clever people :ponderney_britney_thinking_sunglasses_hmm_wondering_deciding_orange_blue:.

Can artists cover any song they want and make profit off it like this example?
Or do they always have to ask the original artist for approval/permission or is there a time aspect that makes it possible after a song is a specific number of years old :ineedthetruth_oprah_huh_um_thinking_confused_what_truth_stare:

And do the original artist get royalties or whatever it’s called from the cover sales of the other artist 👩‍🎨

please, I need enlightenment... 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, MortalMarshmallow said:

I have a very serious question to ask you clever people :ponderney_britney_thinking_sunglasses_hmm_wondering_deciding_orange_blue:.

Can artists cover any song they want and make profit off it like this example?
Or do they always have to ask the original artist for approval/permission or is there a time aspect that makes it possible after a song is a specific number of years old :ineedthetruth_oprah_huh_um_thinking_confused_what_truth_stare:

And do the original artist get royalties or whatever it’s called from the cover sales of the other artist 👩‍🎨

please, I need enlightenment... 

Depends. Most artist ask for permission out of respect. Or in some very rare cases depending on who owns the songs they don't want them touched at all. But usually you can just cover any song you want as long as the owners get paid.

My favorite example is Beyonce covering Des'ree Kissing You and the stipulations were she couldnt change the words, give herself writing credit or make a video, and bey literally did all of those things. :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

• Love 2

This actually is making me angry for some reason. I really don’t want people to think that’s Megan’s song and for it to get more popular than Britney’s if they promote the hell out of it. It is even worse if the reason why she covered is is because Britney declined to do a Christmas album. I would hate it if they did it just to get more money out of it by having someone else promote it as they couldn’t get Britney to do it.

• Content Curators

OK I knew Britney's version is gonna sound more current / modern anyway before I listened to this mess.

But, why do Meghan and Loucifer  think people will buy her amateurish Karaoke session or even stream it? I've never heard someone sound more bored in a X'mas song.

Britney's excitement, groove, emotions, desperation over a man, sexiness all gone. those AI vocals inspired by Britney can do better.

Can't wait for A Very Trainwreck Christmas to flop. I know it will.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Avatar said:

Depends. Most artist ask for permission out of respect. Or in some very rare cases depending on who owns the songs they don't want them touched at all. But usually you can just cover any song you want as long as the owners get paid.

My favorite example is Beyonce covering Des'ree Kissing You and the stipulations were she couldnt change the words, give herself writing credit or make a video, and bey literally did all of those things. :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

So no actual rules set? What are the standard percentage the original artist gets paid regarding the covered song by another artist :nervousney_thinking_britney_looking_up_hands_face_clasp_ftr_for_the_record:

1 hour ago, MortalMarshmallow said:

So no actual rules set? What are the standard percentage the original artist gets paid regarding the covered song by another artist :nervousney_thinking_britney_looking_up_hands_face_clasp_ftr_for_the_record:

I don't know, it's a case by case situation. Supposedly Britney paid Bobby Brown a couple of million for her to let My Prerogative flop. :ohdear_britney_glory_dear,_fingers_hand_face_orange_hide_uh_oh: but I can't find any info on that being true.

• Like 1