Was the Britney era a decline/under-performance?

Blackout2006

Was Britney an underperformance?  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have seen numerous fans and most of the GP say that the Britney era was an underperformance, but i honestly doubt that tumblr_ponnpksbkt1qlidixo1_250.gif

After 2 mega-monstrous eras, BOMT and OIDIA, in 2001 Britney released her self-title which debuted at #1 Selling 745k copies in the US; and 1.7 million copies WW. It had 2 huge hits: I'ma Slave 4 U, and Overprotected and an Iconic VMA MTV 2001 performance. In this era, Britney was the most searched celebrity in 2002 and 2003, and also was the youngest performer in the NBA. She too was the first female artist to have 3 consecutive #1 albums, and Britney ended up selling 7-8 million copies by the end of 2002.

Yet, people always say that the era was an under-performance. Even Britney commented on this, saying how people called Avril Lavigne's album a success despite it selling around the same amount, Britney did. Mainly, these thoughts come because of its sales because even tho it has sold 15,5 million copies WW, it was a drastic decrease in sales after OIDIA rounded up 25-27 million copies. That too, Britney received mixed reviews, unlike OIDIA which was near critical acclaim.

So was the era actually a decline? What do you think? Lemme know :sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somebody's gonna kill me for this but it was for general public :decisions_britney_thinking_confused_focusing_unsure_xfactor_bw_black_white: (they probably got bored after 3 consecutive album releases)

Britney has one of the weaker chart placements (Slave #27, Overprotected #86, I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman & Boys didn't even chart in US)

But every other era was less successful than the previous one if we look at pure numbers (Circus is exception) :quirkney_britney_well_welp_giggle_lol_hehe_haha_laugh_joke:

She's still icon tho :wink_britney_everytime_white:

58 minutes ago, LetsRoll said:

Somebody's gonna kill me for this but it was for general public :decisions_britney_thinking_confused_focusing_unsure_xfactor_bw_black_white: (they probably got bored after 3 consecutive album releases)

Britney has one of the weaker chart placements (Slave #27, Overprotected #86, I'm Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman & Boys didn't even chart in US)

But every other era was less successful than the previous one if we look at pure numbers (Circus is exception) :quirkney_britney_well_welp_giggle_lol_hehe_haha_laugh_joke:

This!

for some reason I understood the topic as her actual dancing skills if she underperformed lol

Watch any nonfan’s reaction to her discography/videography, they never seem to know anything between Slave-Toxic and that is 100% because of the radio ban. “Britney” is considered her peak, but ironically the music/singles didn’t leave much of a lasting impact besides Slave 4 U. It really is a shame.

The lead single was a major change in direction for her so of course it put a lot of people off and undoubtedly resulted in her losing some of her younger audience. But at the same time I think it allowed some fans to grow with her.

The Britney album has never been one of my favourites. One half is a new, somewhat experimental sound for her and the other half is the Crossroads soundtrack. Major fail on her teams part for thinking this was acceptable. The album had potential to show real growth but they failed....thankfully Britney pulled it off with ITZ. 

The singles charted poorly in the US but doesn't this have a lot to do with her being blacklisted from radio by Clear Channel around the time of the single/album release? Instead of going with Clear Channel as a tour sponsor for DWAD her team went with someone else? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I remember there being quite a buzz about this and recall reading a couple of articles regarding it. 

God, her team have been **** for years huh. 

1 minute ago, studlygeorge said:

This!

for some reason I understood the topic as her actual dancing skills if she underperformed lol

Watch any nonfan’s reaction to her discography/videography, they never seem to know anything between Slave-Toxic and that is 100% because of the radio ban. “Britney” is considered her peak, but ironically the music/singles didn’t leave much of a lasting impact besides Slave 4 U. It really is a shame.

Tbh, internationally Overprotected was as huge as a hit as Slave 4 U. Especially in Europe.

10 minutes ago, MM0219 said:

The Britney album has never been one of my favourites. One half is a new, somewhat experimental sound for her and the other half is the Crossroads soundtrack. Major fail on her teams part for thinking this was acceptable. The album had potential to show real growth but they failed....thankfully Britney pulled it off with ITZ. 

THANK YOUUUUUU. The Britney album is one of my least favorites because of this very fact. The difference in sound/themes is so jarring. If the whole album sounded like Slave/Boys I would be really into it (I think she wanted to call it Shock Your Mind, initially).

I always found the parallels between the Britney album and Britney Jean interesting. Britney was her third album, Britney Jean was the third album after Britney’s comeback. Both albums were marketed as extremely personal, and let’s be honest, this can be debated for both albums. Also both albums were overshadowed by bigger projects, and thus suffered from them: Crossroads & Piece of Me (I say suffered because Britney got an inconsistent sound due to the merging of two albums and Britney Jean...well, let’s stop there)

and also yes! Britney’s tour was sponsored by Pepsi

6 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Tbh, internationally Overprotected was as huge as a hit as Slave 4 U. Especially in Europe.

This is also true for Me Against the Music, right? I always thought it was funny seeing videos of Britney performing MATM internationally and the crowd singing along & loving it vs when I saw her live in Vegas 2 times and the crowd sorta just went quiet lol

1 minute ago, studlygeorge said:

This is also true for Me Against the Music, right? I always thought it was funny seeing videos of Britney performing MATM internationally and the crowd singing along & loving it vs when I saw her live in Vegas 2 times and the crowd sorta just went quiet lol

Yeah MATM was HUGE outside of the US. It was basically #1 for 4 weeks and sold over 5 million units by the end of 2004. I even made a thread about it:

I think the radio ban was really affecting her. And people keep saying something that her physical singles  CDs were made in smaller amounts, so you could only but the album's (didn't fact check that). They wanted to push the album's.

I live in Germany and "Boys" was the latest single at that time. Everybody knew all Britney singles here. I flew to my relatives to New Jersey and they (my younger cousin sister and family) had never heard of the song and didn't know about it. That was truly shocking to me as every song was known here.

48 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

@Towelney explain why u voted Yes :byetina_xtina_Christina_aguilera_pink_leave_bye_walk_leave_carpet_cheetah_hat:

This is why :byetina_xtina_Christina_aguilera_pink_leave_bye_walk_leave_carpet_cheetah_hat::

4 hours ago, LetsRoll said:

10 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

I have seen numerous fans and most of the GP say that the Britney era was an underperformance, but i honestly doubt that tumblr_ponnpksbkt1qlidixo1_250.gif

After 2 mega-monstrous eras, BOMT and OIDIA, in 2001 Britney released her self-title which debuted at #1 Selling 745k copies in the US; and 1.7 million copies WW. It had 2 huge hits: I'ma Slave 4 U, and Overprotected and an Iconic VMA MTV 2001 performance. In this era, Britney was the most searched celebrity in 2002 and 2003, and also was the youngest performer in the NBA. She too was the first female artist to have 3 consecutive #1 albums, and Britney ended up selling 7-8 million copies by the end of 2002.

Yet, people always say that the era was an under-performance. Even Britney commented on this, saying how people called Avril Lavigne's album a success despite it selling around the same amount, Britney did. Mainly, these thoughts come because of its sales because even tho it has sold 15,5 million copies WW, it was a drastic decrease in sales after OIDIA rounded up 25-27 million copies. That too, Britney received mixed reviews, unlike OIDIA which was near critical acclaim.

So was the era actually a decline? What do you think? Lemme know :sendinglove_kissing_heart_love_blowing:

3 consecutive number one albums? Mariah did that in the 90's more than three xD

Archived