Billboard Music Awards ratings down 62% from last year's show

1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

I think that more than being bad or not, it's just that, there is no sense of like, the industry as a whole. I don't know how to explain it, but it's like, before these awards shows were relevant, because the public knew all of the artists, because our only way of consumption was tv and radio, mostly MTV, so if you were into music, whatever it was, chances were you knew all the current artists and songs, whether you liked them or not. You may have a favorite artist, but you knew who the others were, because you had to watch all the other videos waiting for your fave to come up. 

In the internet era, that doesn't exist. People consume what they want, and they avoid everything else that doesn't fit their taste, so, watching a show full of people that you have no clue who they are, and maybe just one of the artists you like, if you're lucky, it's not that appealing anymore. Plus why watch it live, when you can watch the video on youtube the next day if there was any performer you were interested in. 

I don't even know if teenager or just younger generations in general even watch TV anymore. It seems to me like TV watchers must be mostly older people, who have been marginalized from the music industry since a while ago. Current music scene is directed towards younger audiences, but they pretend that older people that still watch tv watch their shows, that's just the recipe for failure. And on top of that, I don't remember any awards shows that were aired on a weekday that have been popular. Why couldn't they do this on Saturday or Sunday? 

Pretty much all of this. They need to live stream on YouTube. 

I mean even the VMA’s have turned into a joke. Music TeleVision has turned into reality crappy tv. 

I couldn’t tell you who performed last night. Thats sad because the BBMA’s used to be exciting. Award shows used to be fun. 

• Like 6
39 minutes ago, bas che said:

How did the Weeknd not wind anything?! Isn’t he the most selling artist this year which is what Billboard is all about?

This was the delayed awards from May...so this is for last year. 

Im sure the Wknd will do great next year. 

I had no clueless they were on last night....I would have at least DVR’d if I knew it was on. 

1 hour ago, helloitsme said:

What do u find divisive?

Celebrities being political is divisive. And that is what has happened with most award shows. Politics itself is divisive. Plus most celebrities are out of touch and really can not relate to the majority of the American people. Accept your award, thank the people who helped, and exit stage left. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

I think that more than being bad or not, it's just that, there is no sense of like, the industry as a whole. I don't know how to explain it, but it's like, before these awards shows were relevant, because the public knew all of the artists, because our only way of consumption was tv and radio, mostly MTV, so if you were into music, whatever it was, chances were you knew all the current artists and songs, whether you liked them or not. You may have a favorite artist, but you knew who the others were, because you had to watch all the other videos waiting for your fave to come up. 

In the internet era, that doesn't exist. People consume what they want, and they avoid everything else that doesn't fit their taste, so, watching a show full of people that you have no clue who they are, and maybe just one of the artists you like, if you're lucky, it's not that appealing anymore. Plus why watch it live, when you can watch the video on youtube the next day if there was any performer you were interested in. 

I don't even know if teenager or just younger generations in general even watch TV anymore. It seems to me like TV watchers must be mostly older people, who have been marginalized from the music industry since a while ago. Current music scene is directed towards younger audiences, but they pretend that older people that still watch tv watch their shows, that's just the recipe for failure. And on top of that, I don't remember any awards shows that were aired on a weekday that have been popular. Why couldn't they do this on Saturday or Sunday? 

I agree with all this. These award shows and people running them haven't caught up with how people are consuming media. Literally missed the mark. They have to either adapt to how things are or just move on/scrap them, they're not even recouping the money at this point. 3 million viewers is nothing now.

The ONLY thing that saved the VMAs was the very cool/cgi/animated performances where they blended reality with effects. That was creative and it showed. People were actually talking about some of them the next day. 
However, thats not an award show, it's pre-recorded performances that were perfected in post. So the VMAs were essentially a different thing.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, A.a.A said:

I agree with all this. These award shows and people running them haven't caught up with how people are consuming media. Literally missed the mark. They have to either adapt to how things are or just move on/scrap them, they're not even recouping the money at this point. 3 million viewers is nothing now.

The ONLY thing that saved the VMAs was the very cool/cgi/animated performances where they blended reality with effects. That was creative and it showed. People were actually talking about some of them the next day. 
However, thats not an award show, it's pre-recorded performances that were perfected in post. So the VMAs were essentially a different thing.

and there was a lot of buzz online like a month before it happened, the BBMA just came out of nowhere

• Love 1

The problem is these artists all look like junkies.  Period.  All of them are unattractive and drugged out, burnt out, turnt out, out of shape, and can’t dance.  Britney, Janet, Madonna, Were all young attractive and fit and in the prime of their lives.  There’s no more gloss shine and glamour. These new artists destroyed the illusion that the icons upheld for generations.  And the ones that don’t have to be good looking, the rockers that are just supposed to be real, there’s no rock, so they’re not iconic, and they couldn’t be anymore fake and untalented.  Another Britney will come along, but it’s none of these used-up gutter hoes out now.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, PuertoRicosFinest said:

The problem is these artists all look like junkies.  Period.  All of them are unattractive and drugged out, burnt out, turnt out, out of shape, and can’t dance.  Britney, Janet, Madonna, Were all young attractive and fit and in the prime of their lives.  There’s no more gloss shine and glamour. These new artists destroyed the illusion that the icons upheld for generations.  And the ones that don’t have to be good looking, the rockers that are just supposed to be real, there’s no rock, so they’re not iconic, and they couldn’t be anymore fake and untalented.  Another Britney will come along, but it’s none of these used-up gutter hoes out now.

I don't think that's it. You can literally say that about any generation of musicians. And most people say about every new generation.

And the "shine" and glamour that your speaking of was gone when Twitter became a thing. Once you can connect with your faves directly. It was over. The things your speaking about are more your perception/opinion of this generations musicians,  not necessarily the reason why award shows are dying out. There's really no logical correlation between those two things.

• Super Mods
6 hours ago, bitbitboi said:

I watched that f-l-a-w-l-e-s-s- and SUPER **** performance live WHILE IN A HOSPITAL BED after a heart surgery, while a nurse was taking a blood sample from me. I basically made her and everyone else SHUT UP until Britney was over slaying. My (new, sort of) heart was racing. I love this woman so much, she makes me happy and she's somehow always there whenever I need to feel better.

That’s amazing man and what’s wonderful was seeing her bloom out. You can see she was nervous in the beginning but she kept going and soon we saw that light in her eyes and you can tell she found her confidence again.   

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block