Demi Lovato criticizes the "Commander in Chief" in new song: "I literally don't care if this ruins my career"

• Leader

Demi Lovato released a new song titled "Commander in Chief." It's co-written with Justin Tranter, Julia Michaels, Billie Eilish's brother Finneas and Eren Cannata.

It's out now.

She already started getting backlash, but Demi isn't backing down. See that exchange below.

"You do understand as a celebrity I hav a right to political views as well? Or did you forget that we aren’t just around to entertain people for our entire lives…that we are citizens of the same country and we are humans with opinions as well? The difference between me and the type of artist you WANT and EXPECT me to be (but I’m sorry honey that will never BE me 😂) I literally don’t care if this ruins my career. This isn’t about that. My career isn’t about that. I made a piece of art that stands for something I believe in. And I’m putting it out even at the risk of losing fans. I’ll take integrity in my work over sales any day. As much as I would like to be sad that I disappointed you, I’m too busy being bummed that you expect me, a queer Hispanic woman, to silence my views/beliefs in order to please my audience i.e. your family. 🙁"

Here are some of the lyrics:

Won't give up, stand our ground
We'll be in the streets while you're bunkering down
Won't give up, stand our ground
We'll be in the streets while you
Commander in chief, honestly
If I do the things you do
I couldn't sleep, seriously
Do you even know the truth?
We're in a state of crisis, people are dying

Thoughts, Exhale?! Do you like "Commander in Chief?"

commander.jpg.36251ab2f79fd2f66f2536dc8f73d29b.jpg

EkSLeBMXYAE5-Th?format=jpg&name=large
EkSLeBRX0AEYtlq?format=jpg&name=large

Related:

• Love 2
  • Like 1

I love the message of the song but if those lyircs are real... :teigen_chrissy_eek_awkward_um_cringe:

Most of Demi's 2020 releases have been such hit or miss: Anyone was amazing, I Love Me was nice, I'm Ready was really forgettable, OK Not To Be OK is a bop, Still Have Me another forgettable song.

• Haha 2
  • Like 1

I just don't understand WHO consumes her music... She's always talking about ***** and unfortunate love stories and how sad life is, and now this. She's so depressing. Like, I genuinely don't understand the feelings or thought processes of her fans at the moment of deciding to listen to her music.

The lyrics are great but for a one-off live performance or a written poem, or a political statement on social media, but a song? Girl chill.

• Like 6

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block