Kelly Clarkson sued by management firm run by ex-husband's dad

Invitation

• Content Curators

kelly-sued.jpg.2f1c7a8d709941bd8d39c17c1261313f.jpg

According to Variety, Kelly's long-time management company Starstruck Management Group, run by Narvel Blackstock (her recently divorced husband's dad) filed a lawsuit against her in Los Angeles Supreme Court, claiming she owed them $1.4 million in unpaid commissions.

'The company has represented Clarkson for the last 13 years, and was paid a 15% commission on her gross earnings. The suit states that Clarkson has paid the firm $1.9 million this year, but owes another $1.4 million.' It says she will owe at least $5.4 million by the end of this year because she allegedly hasn't paid full commission for her work on The Voice and The Kelly Clarkson Show. 

However, they don't appear to have a written agreement, so it's all verbally negotiated in a phone call, and they claimed the terms were agreed by Clarkson in a phone call.

'“Over the course of approximately 13 years, Starstruck developed Clarkson into a mega superstar,” the complaint states. “By way of example only, Starstruck was instrumental in helping Clarkson achieve success in terms of numerous hit albums, multiple Grammy wins and nominations, her role on popular television shows like ‘The Voice’ and her own talk show. Despite Starstruck’s hard work and dedication, Clarkson has decided she is going to stop paying Starstruck for what is contractually owed.”'

'The suit alleges a breach of oral contract, and seeks declaratory relief and an accounting. '

Just 3 minutes before this news broke, Kelly had this to say on her Twitter.

It's interesting timing considering Kelly Clarkson just filed for divorce from the man's son 3 months ago amid multiple cheating rumors, and that Kelly is working on a new album about heartbreak. Earlier when she addressed the divorce, Kelly said,"We know the best thing here is to protect our children and their little hearts," she added. "So I'm usually very open and I usually talk about everything but in this case, I will talk a little bit here and there about how it affects me personally, but probably won't go too far into it because I'm a mama bear and my kids come first." It is going to be difficult for that to happen now that her children's grandad is suing her.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Invitation said:

According to Variety, Kelly's long-time management company Starstruck Management Group, run by Narvel Blackstock (her recently divorced husband's dad) filed a lawsuit against her in Los Angeles Supreme Court, claiming she owed them $1.4 million in unpaid commissions.

'The company has represented Clarkson for the last 13 years, and was paid a 15% commission on her gross earnings. The suit states that Clarkson has paid the firm $1.9 million this year, but owes another $1.4 million.' It says she will owe at least $5.4 million by the end of this year because she allegedly hasn't paid full commission for her work on The Voice and The Kelly Clarkson Show. 

However, they don't appear to have a written agreement, so it's all verbally negotiated in a phone call, and they claimed the terms were agreed by Clarkson in a phone call.

'“Over the course of approximately 13 years, Starstruck developed Clarkson into a mega superstar,” the complaint states. “By way of example only, Starstruck was instrumental in helping Clarkson achieve success in terms of numerous hit albums, multiple Grammy wins and nominations, her role on popular television shows like ‘The Voice’ and her own talk show. Despite Starstruck’s hard work and dedication, Clarkson has decided she is going to stop paying Starstruck for what is contractually owed.”'

'The suit alleges a breach of oral contract, and seeks declaratory relief and an accounting. '

Just 3 minutes before this news broke, Kelly had this to say on her Twitter.

It's interesting timing considering Kelly Clarkson just filed for divorce from the man's son 3 months ago amid multiple cheating rumors, and that Kelly is working on a new album about heartbreak. 249442619_images(11).jpeg.88852e607576c03eda07746d26cdf4f4.jpeg

Are there rumors of cheating??  I hadn't heard this.   

But so much for keeping it civil.  I guess this is where things turn.  Kelly said on her show though she can't say much because of their children so she's probably trying to stay nice but this kind of stuff is gonna test her.  We have seen how Kelly doesn't stay silent when treated wrong in her business side (as in Clive Davis!)  

• Like 2
  • Content Curators
11 minutes ago, allthat88 said:

Are there rumors of cheating??  I hadn't heard this.   

But so much for keeping it civil.  I guess this is where things turn.  Kelly said on her show though she can't say much because of their children so she's probably trying to stay nice but this kind of stuff is gonna test her.  We have seen how Kelly doesn't stay silent when treated wrong in her business side (as in Clive Davis!)  

There was a rumor back in 2013 when an anonymous person claimed she had an intimate relationship (without ***) with him, but Kelly denied it.

Then, there were also other rumors that he had been cheating on Kelly with some artists under his dad's management company. But none of that was proven.

It's super strange they don't have anything on paper, especially such a contract.

I was precisely reading yesterday about those contracts called "360", where in fact, the record label gets a percentage of everything the artist does, not just the music sales, but also live shows, tv gigs, merch, etc. One would think such specifications would be stipulated on the contract they sign.

• Love 2

No way in hell would they NOT have had this agreement on paper if it were true. Kelly is too big of a name and there were millions at sake to just trust a verbal agreement. Its not how they do it with an A-list star about to do a TV show contract. 

Also the fact the kids grandpa is suing their mother just seems very poor taste. . I'm bias towards kelly(mega-fan here), but this case seems sketchy af.

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block