Best Selling Music Artists In America From 1985-2000 (Video)

GMFlop

24 minutes ago, bliss said:

I'm surprised Britney wasn't the #1 artist in 1999-2000 and wow I didn't know George had so much longevity in the US

There was always a trace of dislike for Britney in America because of her controversies as a 17-year old girl and breaking boundaries, not doing what the GP wants. Thats why americans boycooted her hard in the ITZ and Blackout era. I mean internationally she was the best-selling female artist from 1998 till now so.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

Surprised Michael topped in 1996, wasnt he already in his commercial decline in the US?

HIStory was huge I guess. 

1 hour ago, bliss said:

I'm surprised Britney wasn't the #1 artist in 1999-2000 and wow I didn't know George had so much longevity in the US

His Older and Greatest Hits album sold over a million each. 

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, bliss said:

I know he was huge in Europe for all his career but I thought the US had dropped him after the whole LWP era

I should have clarified what I said earlier. Older and his Greatest Hits album sold over a million each in America which was why he was still onenofbthe best selling on that period. 

1 minute ago, GMFlop said:

I should have clarified what I said earlier. Older and his Greatest Hits album sold over a million each in America which was why he was still onenofbthe best selling on that period. 

Still great, It's sad the US didn't give Patience a chance tho it's a great album

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, bliss said:

Still great, It's sad the US didn't give Patience a chance tho it's a great album

I'm on the opposite. Patience had some few songs good such as Freeek, Flawless, Amazing, My Mother Had A Brother and Precious but the rest were forgettable. It's just that his earlier work were so great in comparison. 

Still that album peaked at 12 in US after he appeared on Oprah show which was great for a British artist at that time. 

Just now, GMFlop said:

I'm on the opposite. Patience had some few songs good such as Freeek, Flawless, Amazing, My Mother Had A Brother and Precious but the rest were forgettable. It's just that his earlier work were so great in comparison. 

Still that album peaked at 12 in US after he appeared on Oprah show which was great for a British artist at that time. 

I really like the vibe of the album it's just clean and chill in some aspects but then it has that edge production wise (on songs like freeek and shoot the dog), and yes for someone that isn't american + had been around for 20 years it was still great but it should've had the same success in the US that it had in Europe

• Love 1

Wow Whitney’s dominance is no joke. Madonna and MJ’s were very consistent all throughout the 15 years.

Elton John and Queen debuted in the 70s and were still relevant in the 90s. These are two great examples of artist’s longevity in the industry, something that is noticeably absent in today’s music industry where 5 years is considered a long career. 

I wonder who from today’s artists will stand next such big names who lasted for a couple of decades. Pink? Eminem? Maroon 5? Coldplay? Adele? Taylor Swift? Beyoncé? Rihanna? Lady Gaga? Ariana Grande? Katy Perry?

George was in the same league of MJ/Madonna and Prince during his solo debut album 'Faith' which outsold MJ and Prince albums in the US at that time. He was the perfect pop star that only Justin Timberlake could only dream of (since both were white boy who does R&B stuff and both went solo from a teen band) but George was actually respected by the black artists such as Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson and so on. If only he didn't went on war in court with Tommy Motola (who was rumored to called George a gay slur), he could have continue his success in US and be respected today just like his peers received. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block