Buying The "Oops!" Vinyl is Wrong and Indefensible (Opinion)

ICouldntThinkOfOne

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, sweetkiss said:

I wasnt and I even tweeted how you guys listen to Britney music now etc. I just find myself feeling absolutely horrible and then somebody said OH BRITNEY IS SO RICH ONE LITTLE CENT WONT TAKE AWAY FROM HER FORTUNE SO YOUR NOT STREAMING DOESNT DO ANYTHING, well doing it or not I dont want to disrespect Britney.I bought physically all her albums anyway I just have to putt more effort in listening to it buy putting cd on (lol) and whatever I bought digitally before I was 100% aware of the situation (obs I was always speculating it but when that podcast call happened, it was all over my face its not A CONSPIRACY, she really is HELD AGAINST HER WILL to do this ****)

ok chile i don’t have a cd player anymore i was just asking

I don’t give a **** I’ll buy them all I’m a collector, what is a collector supposed to do huh? 

If you don’t want to buy/stream her stuff anymore go for it. But saying others to do the same is wrong.

plus vinyl sales revenues are just as insignificant as cd sales. 

The oops rsd helps many local music stores that have been suffering a lot because of covid,, so the oops remixes one Is a must for that.

On 9/27/2020 at 6:50 PM, IForgotYouExisted said:

2. The Urban Outfiter vinyls state they are all an UO exclusive. This means they bought rights to exclusive publish them. They already paid team B, not buying the vinyls wouldn't hurt team B but only UO since they already paid them.

This would not be the case if the seller was Britney's online shop but it isn't. Again, boycotting the vinyls is boycotting stores that don't have anything to do with FreeBritney.

This is wrong. And you're not thinking very clearly. UO bought the rights to BOMT two years ago and that was that. Because fans ate that up, they started to buy the rest of ger discography, so money to team Britney. After they were done with her albums, and because fans kept demand high, they bought the rights to the greatest hits, so, money to team Britney. After that got eaten up, team Britney decided to sell Oops bsides and remixes rights to be sold as vinyls. So, really, its team Britney choosing what to sell, not the other way around. There are lots of other artists that dont sell their catalog's rights to be made as vinyls, its a new thing to do so, Mariah just did it this month.

Now with that being said, I did buy them. The first batch at least. I was unaware of free Britney and it wasnt a thing when they started with BOMT and having paid lots for the first ones, I did want to finish my collection now and I have the right to do so. I wont buy the Oops bonus and remixes one because I dont feel like thats official since it was never released like this, thats money grabbing.

On 9/28/2020 at 1:19 AM, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

1. By buying the vinyl, you're giving her team to do it more because stores will still supply it. This makes team conservatorship money.

2. Reread point one.

3. If you're going to resort to saying my post is "rude", please reread the situation. Britney has no legal rights and is fighting to get out of a system that she has been miserable in.

If I'm "not the one to tell others what they can and cannot do", right back at you.

4. It doesn't matter if she hypothetically  "doesnt  care about them". Factually, she is refusing to engage in activities that her father benefits from. Boycott both. The money goes to the same place.

5. Personally speaking, I dont particularly care that you dont believe me. As I said, I do not seek out her music unless I previously bought the album before 2019. The only exception is the Slumber Party Tour remixes.

Do you understand what "boycott" means? It means actively refusing to engage. No matter what you buy, stream or watch, it all goes back to the same place. That's the point. Is it hard? Yes, but it's for a greater good.

For someone saying "put your energy into what matters", you wrote a 5 point response that misses the basis point. If that's what you have to do to justify it in your head....

Court documents were filed three weeks ago that say Britney wants out. This keeps her in.

Looks like you also failed to acknowledge when Britney thanked us for making Glory number one on iTunes. How do you explain that? Right now you all keep tiptoeing around that. You’re a clown for even making this thread demonizing people for something as insignificant as buying a damn vinyl. Couldn’t be me getting so pressed about what others do with their money. The most miserable people really are the loudest :nicki2_minaj_awkward_nicki_ooh_welp_well_look_blonde_hat:

6 hours ago, KillersWhoArePartying said:

the fact that you're pushing 40...

Pushing 40? I was barely in school when she came out. Doesn’t mean my parents didn’t buy the stuff I asked for.  Pathetic trying to use someone’s age as their defense even if I had been pushing 40. Stay pressed because you can’t make rational statements. You are all hypocrites streaming her music, sharing her name everywhere when that brings exposure to her music. That comment is disgusting and shows what your true colors are. Don’t quote me anymore little troll :mcwave_mariah_Carey_kiss_bye_goodbye_wave:

For people who are saying it is morally wrong to buy this vinyl, then you don’t really understand how these particular products work. The rights are bought by the company (in this case RSD) to release the music and the profits made for each sale go to the stores that sell the albums. The money paid to get the rights for release are paid in advance to her team so there is literally 0% you can do by boycotting this release to try and effect Britney’s team. 
And tbh, if you’re one of the people who think it’s wrong to buy this vinyl then you need to look at everything else. If you’ve bought one of the MANY MANY Urban Outfitters exclusive vinyls that have come out over the last couple years (which all go through the same process of paying Britney’s team in advance) then you should feel just as bad for buying those and should get rid of them. If you’ve bought one of Britneys perfumes, get rid of it. If you’ve streamed just one her songs (even by accident on a playlist) then delete your Spotify account so you can’t stream her again. Do you see how silly this all sounds??

If you want to own these vinyls for the sole purpose that you love Britney’s music, then fine, collect them and support Britney by praising her music. Chances are UO in America are mostly sold out of the Britney releases now and most people buy second hand off eBay so the damage is already done meaning there is nothing you can do. Just stop the unnecessary hate and bashing of fans who love their favourite singer and want to hear her old music through their favourite form of listening.  

3 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Pushing 40? I was barely in school when she came out. Doesn’t mean my parents didn’t buy the stuff I asked for.  Pathetic trying to use someone’s age as their defense even if I had been pushing 40. Stay pressed because you can’t make rational statements. You are all hypocrites streaming her music, sharing her name everywhere when that brings exposure to her music. That comment is disgusting and shows what your true colors are. Don’t quote me anymore little troll :mcwave_mariah_Carey_kiss_bye_goodbye_wave:

ah so it's okay for you to make fun of what you assume to be my economic status and shame people for being poor but age is off limits

guess i hit a sore spot :clownery_makeup_meme:

On 9/27/2020 at 9:00 PM, Justney said:

She's being forced to work,  threatened,  abused,  forced to take medications,  having no rights to her body or any freedom and YOU don't want to be shamed for feeding the system that has done this to her? 

I agree with OP, it's not justifiable.  She's stopped working she doesn't need to say stop putting money into my team's pockets so they desire to hold onto her for the rest of her life. 

It's the money that they want and you're giving it to them. No matter how small you think your purchase is. It all adds up.  It's been adding up.  They want to drain her entire life for it. Think about it next time you don't want to feel guilty. It's not about shaming you,  it's about realizing what consuming her products are doing to her. What a nightmare that must be to Britney... never being able to have a life because she's sold as a product,  a cash cow. Don't be selfish. We love Britney  but giving back to her means standing up for her in every way possible to stop the abuse. And we all own her music,  we don't need to buy more rehashed stuff, come on. 

Thank you 🙏❤️👍🙏

Geez just stop and get over it, people bought it! You are one tiny tiny tiny piece of the puzzle... you not buying this limited release wasn’t stopping anyone else from doing so... 4600 copies and B has millions of fans... it would sell out regardless of how you feel. “You don’t find it funny that...” HUSH BABY JANE! No, I don’t find it funny, suspect, shady, whatever you have to say, the collection on Vinyl had BEEN planned and was coming. “Boycotting” the brand, or whatever you’re trying to do isn’t going to work... it’s cute that you think it is, really... I’m a realist and I have terrible existential anxiety, Britney is one of the only pieces of stability in my life, and if buying her vinyl helped avoid a few hours in my mind then so be it! Stop trying to make people feel bad for finding joy where they can in this ugly world. You all look like that spongebob meme with the messed up face and hands on his hips. I don’t need to post it because you KNOW which one I’m taking about. 🤷‍♂️

I think many of you does not understand how rights works.

A store sold a vinyl get a small percent of the sale, the rest goes to the record label who distribute it to the artists, so yeah, Team Britney recieve money from the sale, just like a CD, Digital sales, Merch with her name, perfumes, etc.

If you really, really "want to help" independent record stores you could easily buy another artists vinyl, but like I already said, it's done it, enjoy it and wait until she is in control of her money. It's not that hard. And just accept it, you didn't care about who gets the money you just want your vinyl. It's not that hard either.

Also, stop attacking each other, that's not going to help in anything.

8 minutes ago, CripplerCrossface said:

I think many of you does not understand how rights works.

A store sold a vinyl get a small percent of the sale, the rest goes to the record label who distribute it to the artists, so yeah, Team Britney recieve money from the sale, just like a CD, Digital sales, Merch with her name, perfumes, etc.

If you really, really "want to help" independent record stores you could easily buy another artists vinyl, but like I already said, it's done it, enjoy it and wait until she is in control of her money. It's not that hard. And just accept it, you didn't care about who gets the money you just want your vinyl. It's not that hard either.

Also, stop attacking each other, that's not going to help in anything.

Ok, so they got 3000 dollars... if that... wtf do u think that’s gonna do for anyone? My goodness, boycotting this release literally did NOTHING but keep u from an exclusive item that if you ever want in the future is gonna be 4x as much as it was on the day it was released. Do YOU know how the industry works? I’m not famous by any means (yet) but I did go to school for Audio Production, so yeah, I do understand how rights, sales, and distribution work, and probably way more on the back end of it all too... I appreciate where you are coming from on the issue, but this isn’t the way to go about it....

Ill give my 2 cents again (since i already posted before).

Guys, this is her legacy. I understand both sides, but lets boycott what SHE boycotted. The Zone! She denied the appearance, and has desired to not work at this time. So, anything NEW from "her", isn't coming from HER.

I'm sorry for those who like to collect her perfumes, but these 10000 fantasy versions puts me OFF big time. 

Im sure she doesnt even know about those. Unlike Prerogative, where she was very involved. 

About the Vinyls, I'm dont think any fan whos buying it is wrong. I would, if those vinyls had new songs, or even a new album, CUZ SHE SAID SHE WISHES TO NOT PERFOM/WORK, meaning, new stuff. 

Idk.. this is what i think. 

Archived