Buying The "Oops!" Vinyl is Wrong and Indefensible (Opinion)

ICouldntThinkOfOne

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This post is dumb and illogical. 

FACT. 

Not to be rude, because I love your passion for Britney the person, over Britney the popstar, but at the end of the day, Jamie Spears didn’t make ANY of Britney’s music. He doesn’t profit off the music. He profits off of the conservatorship. There are plenty of ways to take him down, if that’s your goal.....  but at the end of the day, artists like Britney, who are manufactured, bought and paid for throughout their careers, don’t make much money on their records. Brit makes money off of her tour receipts, separate business endeavors off her name, tour merchandise, etc.... but only a small cut comes from record sales. These record sales benefit ALL of the people who made the music. So when you look at something celebrated like “Oops!” On vinyl, and say to yourself “hmmm.. I’m gonna stick it to Jamie Spears and not by this”, the people you’re really hurting are the producers and musicians involved in creating Britney’s music. The people who don’t make the money off of tours and merchandise, and business deals.... they’re the ones relying on record sales. And remember, these are the people behind her success, not the ones that used her. J

So by all means, fight to FREE BRITNEY from the conservatorship taking small cuts off everything she makes, but understand that cutting off your support of her records is making little to no impact in accomplishing that goal, since the records are where she benefits the least. 

I've loved Britney since 1998 and I still love and enjoy her music. I've waited years and years for her music to be on vinyl so I buy them all and love them all. I will never apologize for that. Feel however you feel and do whatever you want but don't tell other people how to spend their money and how to support their favorite artists.

If you bought/streamed any of her music since 2008, watched any of her videos on YouTube since 2008, went to any of her concerts since 2008, or bought any of her merch since 2008 then you're being hypocritical. 

On 9/27/2020 at 7:05 PM, Jordan Miller said:

I feel weird about not celebrating Britney's music though :teigen_chrissy_eek_awkward_um_cringe:

I feel like boycotting things like this doesn't ultimately help her? 

They don't

Also Britney's music is mainly money that goes towards her record label less her personal estate. She gets royalties yes but she would be getting them even without a boycott. Her main source of income from music is the tours and residency she did/does.

Boycotting what made Britney, Britney in my opinion would just be more damaging.

Omfg

im 32, I was around and stanning for EVERY Britney era, and will always love and support her. And nobody on Exhale is going to make me feel like **** for getting a limited release vinyl. (that I waited for outside the record store starting at like 2:00 AM...)  FYI this had been in the works for a while, it didn’t just spring up mysteriously this month. It’s celebrating one of her best albums’ 20 yr anniversary... and the 4 b-sides were nowhere to be found in my collection so I obviously wanted it. Talk to the 4,599 other people who also bought this vinyl about how upset you are. Because I really don’t care about your opinion. She also mentioned in a post that she hopes we haven’t forgotten about her... I for one, will always turn out for Britney. 

On 9/27/2020 at 7:50 PM, ICouldntThinkOfOne said:

Honestly? I've cut down on steaming her music unless I have bought it on CD before 2019 because I cannot support the brand knowing what's happening. It been hard, but I'm not actively searching out her music.

but defending the purchasing of the vinyl is something you cannot defend. it comes three weeks after she made a statement saying she's not working until her dad is gone; her dad isn't gone.

its an album out 20 years! there's nothing new to it. Why support it?

Actually, the release of this vinyl was scheduled for April 2020, then Miss Rona did her world Tour and we all know what happened.

And for the record, the songs on this Vinyl were not previously released in the US on Oops... or to stream in the US... It’s 4 rare remixes (not all oops btw all different songs) and 4 b-sides... It’s not just another release of OIDIA with a different cover... and as some have already pointed out, Record store day is more in support of small record stores to help boost sales for them... 

Even if you buy Urban outfitters merch, you're helping support anti LGBT charities and such. 

It was revealed Lou Taylor funds a conversion therapy camp. Why do you think instead of Target or an exclusive inclusive brand she chose a business with Hidden agendas against the lgbt community. But none of you are smart enough to do your research. 

So continue finding gop companies and such. 

• Super Mods

So are you guys gonna pretend you didn’t support her the past 12 years? She made it clear from the start even saying on FTR that she was not happy about this arrangement but ya’ll ignored that and continue to go to her shows and saying she’s in a better place because of the cship, now everyone is changing their tune and wants to be the next Ghandi. 

you guys buy stuff every day that supports shady businesses, tobacco companies own cereal brands so if you buy cereal, you are indirectly already supporting tobacco companies to continue producing cancer sticks without you even buying their product.

Britney’s images are own by Randee who is Lou’s client so even if ya’ll successfully stop vinyls, she’s still making them money even if she’s not doing it so if Randee licenses her image to magazines and perfumes, her team still gets a small cut. They own her trademark so they can slap her name on everything. If her music is not making money and she refuses to work? Look how The Zone came about. She refused to attend yet they were still making money. Ya’ll think she hasn’t thought of this? Look at how they are using her money to buy up properties. 

Ya’ll buy clothes and things made from China or other third world countries that have poor working conditions and even have unethical practices yet you guys have no regrets buying it from the store.

Like it makes you look heroic and honorable in front of everyone but does it really do anything? Because the media hasn’t picked up on it and it was the content producers of social media spreading Britney’s situation out to the world and making more people who haven’t known about this know now. 

not to mention depriving new fans from discovering her music and art as ever since the freebritney movement there has been people interested in her music and you’re gonna go “no you can’t listen or support her music because it supports evil people but Freebritney ya’lll!” :ipass_britney_xfactor_no_words:

On 9/27/2020 at 6:33 PM, ElenaB said:

So you didn't stream any Britney songs for the past two years? I mean, I get what you're saying and you're right, but it's no different from watching her MV or streaming her songs

I wasnt and I even tweeted how you guys listen to Britney music now etc. I just find myself feeling absolutely horrible and then somebody said OH BRITNEY IS SO RICH ONE LITTLE CENT WONT TAKE AWAY FROM HER FORTUNE SO YOUR NOT STREAMING DOESNT DO ANYTHING, well doing it or not I dont want to disrespect Britney.I bought physically all her albums anyway I just have to putt more effort in listening to it buy putting cd on (lol) and whatever I bought digitally before I was 100% aware of the situation (obs I was always speculating it but when that podcast call happened, it was all over my face its not A CONSPIRACY, she really is HELD AGAINST HER WILL to do this ****)

2 hours ago, Puppy said:

So are you guys gonna pretend you didn’t support her the past 12 years? She made it clear from the start even saying on FTR that she was not happy about this arrangement but ya’ll ignored that and continue to go to her shows and saying she’s in a better place because of the cship, now everyone is changing their tune and wants to be the next Ghandi. 

you guys buy stuff every day that supports shady businesses, tobacco companies own cereal brands so if you buy cereal, you are indirectly already supporting tobacco companies to continue producing cancer sticks without you even buying their product.

Britney’s images are own by Randee who is Lou’s client so even if ya’ll successfully stop vinyls, she’s still making them money even if she’s not doing it so if Randee licenses her image to magazines and perfumes, her team still gets a small cut. They own her trademark so they can slap her name on everything. If her music is not making money and she refuses to work? Look how The Zone came about. She refused to attend yet they were still making money. Ya’ll think she hasn’t thought of this? Look at how they are using her money to buy up properties. 

Ya’ll buy clothes and things made from China or other third world countries that have poor working conditions and even have unethical practices yet you guys have no regrets buying it from the store.

Like it makes you look heroic and honorable in front of everyone but does it really do anything? Because the media hasn’t picked up on it and it was the content producers of social media spreading Britney’s situation out to the world and making more people who haven’t known about this know now. 

not to mention depriving new fans from discovering her music and art as ever since the freebritney movement there has been people interested in her music and you’re gonna go “no you can’t listen or support her music because it supports evil people but Freebritney ya’lll!” :ipass_britney_xfactor_no_words:

this is SO WRONG, and just because you cant SAVE THE WORLD IN ONE DAY WITH ONE ACTION, doesnt mean you are WRONG for doing couple of actions that you absolutely CAN DO to save/protect the cause. I feel horrible when I buy cheap clothes because we all know its child labour making it so cheap, so i buy it ONLY IF IM BROKE BROKE, if I can afford it I buy US made. We all should go TOWARDS awareness, and not AGAINST IT, inform yourself and make educated decision on everything you CAN because one little step to you, but giant for mankind.

Archived