This Day in Pop: Britney Spears releases her fragrance Believe in 2007 (September 24)

believe.jpg.3b7a3c7e1fa69ddf0e11e43a32a976c6.jpg391_5c679d2c85b4f2dc008de50cac1cb51c.jpg

On September 24, 2007, Britney Spears released her fifth fragrance Believe. It steps away from her previous perfumes since its aroma isn't as feminine as they were. After fans noticed this upon its release, the perfume was rebranded as unisex.

A controversy was created after it was revealed that the logo of the perfume was a near-copy of a t-shirt campaign by a Vancouver-based charity, called Mondonation.

believemondonation.png

The vice president of the Elizabeth Arden company, allegedly contacted Mondonation to negotiate the solving of the issue.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, ShatteredBoy said:

Now I get it... she released her worst fragrance in her worst year...

Although she did release the impeccable Blackout that year too:jl_jamie_lynn_awkward_cringe_eek:

don't come for Believe :gtfo_britney_pink_wig_2007_mad_annoyed_irritated_stare:

it's one of her best perfumes, not sickly sweet and unique. i love it

• Love 4
  • Like 1

I smelled it in 2008 and found it gross.:boredney_britney_2015_annoyed_eyeroll_hair:  however interesting that it is unisex, I had no idea. :katycream_perry_witness_nod_yes: I'll look for it and smell it to see if I like it now 

3 hours ago, BahamaBoy said:

Anybody remember the controversy over the promo artwork? I remember being my 13 year old self, thinking she was so gorgeous and maybe they just slimmed her down..

Now I look at it 13 years later and it looks like they used MS Paint to paste her face on someone else's head.

The exact same thing happened to me :billiebarf_ew_gross_disgusting_throw_up_vomit_green_eilish: I'm sure they got that face out of the ITZ photoshoot

• Love 2

i was so excited when i saw the artwork i thought she looked amazing. now i see how photoshopped it was :haha_britney_laugh_lol_lmao_hehe_haha_bw_black_white:

i don't know why you guys keep saying it smells bad, i bought it that same year and i loved it. wore it during 2008 and now the bottle is part of my collection of britney perfumes :imcute_britney_ftr_for_the_record_hat_paris_french_smile_grin_happy:

• Love 1
9 hours ago, SpearsSpearsBrit said:

I smelled it in 2008 and found it gross.:boredney_britney_2015_annoyed_eyeroll_hair:  however interesting that it is unisex, I had no idea. :katycream_perry_witness_nod_yes:

5 hours ago, Cinderella85 said:

Wow I didn´t know it is unisex.

It really isn't, as far as I understand (and as far as I can smell lol). Well, technically, experts say all perfumes are unisex, but in the practical sense, yeah, I think this was never intended to be unisex, it's just that people complained after it came out that it just didn't smell as sweet as the Curious or Fantasy lines, so they were like, "oh, it's unisex..." :blol_britney_2011_ff_femme_fatale_laugh_lol_haha_hehe_lmao:

but tbh it isn't, I mean, it doesn't smell hideous or anything, but it really reminds me of those perfumes the oldest teachers in my school would wear, or like the old lady at the super market or church or something like that. It doesn't smell manly, it smells like it's made for older women, but like really old women.

• Love 1
  • Like 1