A small video clip shows Britney singing in her normal voice before it went to the **** breathy Janet Jackson like

Spicechinodiva

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The voice she sings with is not dissimilar... Honestly you can still hear the classic britney voice there... Although she does sound better. Idk if we can always pedal the "her label made her change her voice" argument. Over time her performance, dancing, s ex and celebrity overtook importance of her artistry and she lost passion and technique through lack of live singing. 

1 hour ago, JackSProductions said:

It’s from a rare showcase she did back in 1998 for the debut album. She performed

- ...Baby One More Time

- Sometimes (Demo)

- You Got It All

The whole video leaked a few years back

I'm glad someone posted this; it's not a new leak and totally unrelated to #FreeBritney.

31 minutes ago, Mayenaise said:

The voice she sings with is not dissimilar... Honestly you can still hear the classic britney voice there... Although she does sound better. Idk if we can always pedal the "her label made her change her voice" argument. Over time her performance, dancing, s ex and celebrity overtook importance of her artistry and she lost passion and technique through lack of live singing. 

The label definitely changed her voice, but I agree with what you're saying that that's not all there is to it.

Even if she'd kept her natural vocal style, her voice would change at nearly 38 compared to how it was at 16. That's with anyone or any singer.

I don't agree about her loss of passion. But that technique is definitely bad, the one that gave her the iconic vocals the general public is familiar with.

On 9/23/2020 at 1:53 AM, ZoneGirl said:

I'm glad someone posted this; it's not a new leak and totally unrelated to #FreeBritney.

The label definitely changed her voice, but I agree with what you're saying that that's not all there is to it.

Even if she'd kept her natural vocal style, her voice would change at nearly 38 compared to how it was at 16. That's with anyone or any singer.

I don't agree about her loss of passion. But that technique is definitely bad, the one that gave her the iconic vocals the general public is familiar with.

You don't agree with her lack of passion looool? She can't even be bothered to pretend she's singing live now...... :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

On 9/23/2020 at 2:08 AM, TheySayImCrazy18 said:

It’s Good; But I’ll Be Honest, I Prefer Her Fake Voice.  It’s What Made Me Fall In Love With Her. 

I wouldn't say I prefer it, at least now that I know it's something she had to fake. However, I acknowledge that it might be what made her interesting to me and a lot of people in the first place.

I think it's actually complicated. We now know how entertaining her performances would later become, with lip syncing and dancing, so it's nice to see her actually sing instead of dancing for a change. However, I can imagine her executives watching her perform this way and thinking that her voice alone might not be enough to captivate the audience, and for that reason making her take a more dance and spectacle-oriented direction. I don't know what's worse: that they came to that conclusion? Or that it apparently worked?

As I was doing research for my podcast, I learned that they knew she could sing but her A&R guy wanted to keep her voice young as that would sell well in the late 90s.  When you see the actual production order the songs she recorded were finished for her debut and the demos, you can definitely hear a change in her voice.  

re: Her voice.  Also, smoking for years doesn't help your voice, no matter how you sing.  

I think it was Adele who said that when she was pregnant she was able to sing differently. 

On 9/25/2020 at 5:11 AM, Mayenaise said:

You don't agree with her lack of passion looool? She can't even be bothered to pretend she's singing live now...... :gloria_falling_stairs_trip:

I wasn't talking about currentney. I was talking about since she started singing in the unnatural baby voice, which was the beginning of her pop stardom.

I am sure if she wanted to she could have preserved her voice with right training (sadly neither she or her team cared about her voice as a live performer ever since Oops aka when her performances became choreo oriented).

She could have also revert back to more natural vocals by her 3rd or 4th album. Just like Madonna did gradually with her releases. If you compare Madonnas first and second album with her 3rd one (let alone later ones) difference in vocal style/ability is like night and day. She went from extreme baby like vocals to a classic more Natural Madonna.

Britney could have done the same thing.

I mean I get it why Jive did what they did. She would be hard to be marketed a s an R&B singer and her natural voice did not really work well with bubble gum teen pop music.

With that being said BOMT era was perfect mixture of Baby voice and her natural voice.

They went to far with it on Oops,Britney (album) was unbearable at times due to extreme breathy baby like vocals.

7 hours ago, Easy There said:

I am sure if she wanted to she could have preserved her voice with right training (sadly neither she or her team cared about her voice as a live performer ever since Oops aka when her performances became choreo oriented).

She could have also revert back to more natural vocals by her 3rd or 4th album. Just like Madonna did gradually with her releases. If you compare Madonnas first and second album with her 3rd one (let alone later ones) difference in vocal style/ability is like night and day. She went from extreme baby like vocals to a classic more Natural Madonna.

Britney could have done the same thing.

I mean I get it why Jive did what they did. She would be hard to be marketed a s an R&B singer and her natural voice did not really work well with bubble gum teen pop music.

With that being said BOMT era was perfect mixture of Baby voice and her natural voice.

They went to far with it on Oops,Britney (album) was unbearable at times due to extreme breathy baby like vocals.

And since Britney was a Rn'B record, her real vocals shouldve been used since it would be so good. And she should have fully used the real vocals with In the zone

Please, don't come at me, I have a question: how do we know for sure that the label forced her to change her voice? Yes, there are a lot of performances pre-BOMT which confirm she has a deep tone, but that doesn't necessarily mean that she was forced to sing like that. For what we know, she might have agreed on that, or, who knows, decided it herself. 

That is not to say that this is exactly how it went. However, in my knowledge, we don't have any pieces of evidences (please, correct me if I'm wrong) that it was the label's decision exclusively. It's only an assumption. 

Archived